Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelcakes22uk Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Aug 31, 2004, 07:26 AM
    Kitten trying to feed still.
    Hi, my cat had kittens on 18th June, 3 have left and I've kept one, she is fully weaned,eating nicely,mother has been spayed and is all dried up of milk, yet I have noticed the kittens still trying to suckle and the mother is letting her even though there is nothing coming out, is this normal, was thinking it was a comfort thing on the part of the kitten??
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hailey, scunthorpe, england.
    mechanicaleden Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Sep 1, 2004, 06:14 AM
    Re: kitten trying to feed still.
    This is pretty normal. I've seen five-month-old cats that try to suckle on their own tails... it's just a comfort thing, like a baby sucking his or her thumb. Usually, the mother won't let her baby continue to try to nurse... because the babies grow teeth, and they are SHARP! (As any kitten owner knows!) Some mothers have such a strong maternal instinct that they don't really care. However, she'll probably get tired of letting the kitten nurse eventually... or the kitten will grow out of it. On the other hand, my 7-year-old cat STILL tries to nurse the back of my hand. It varies greatly between individual animals. On your part, I would try to discourage it.. if you see her doing it, just pick her up and move her away. Trust me, having an adult cat that drools and kneads and tries to nurse on EVERYTHING and EVERYONE can be very obnoxious.
    linz_legrand Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2004, 04:36 PM
    Kitten trying to feed still.
    The same thing happened to my cat's first litter! The kittens were almost the same size as their mother (I have a verrrry tiny breed of cat!) and they were still "nursing." In my opinion, the mother knows what to do with her children and if they shouldn't be nursing, she won't let them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to feed a sick dog with no appetite? [ 10 Answers ]

My poor Rosie was just released from the hospital suffering from HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) that we all suspect was brought on by Rimadyl that was prescribed for her arthritis. It came on so suddenly that I had to rush her to the hospital. She's home now, weak, on medication and...

Feed Me! [ 7 Answers ]

I am going on vacation and wanted to know exactly how long leopard geckos can go without food (of course I'm not going to leave him alone for 2 weeks, I just want to know.)

Extending spa feed [ 2 Answers ]

I have existing 220v wiring (outdoors) for a spa that I want to extend another 15 ft. in order to hide the panel from view. Do I have to re-wire the run, or can I just extend it with a junction box and another 15 ft. of cable/wire? I'm in California, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance...

View more questions Search