Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etc2525 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Trying to break up with live-in boyfriend
    I am divorced and the mother of 2 children aged 15 and 11. I have been living with "Adam" (in my home) for 2 years and we have been together a total of 8 years. Things started to unravel in our relationship when I found out that he's been getting "massages" and meeting women that he's had contact with through the internet. I sat him down last week and told him that I thought it was best if we went our separate ways. I told him that I no longer felt the same way about him and that I thought our relationship had run its course. I told him I was not throwing him out on the street... that I would give him a reasonable amount of time to find a new place to live... 4 to 6 weeks I thought would be sufficient. Since the talk, he's been acting like nothing happened. It's weird but it's almost like the talk I had with him never happened. I know that he still cares about me but I was very straightforward with him. I left no doubt that I didn't want this relationship with him to continue. Should I talk to him again about this now... or should I wait for a little more time to pass to see if he's making an effort to move out?
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 01:43 PM

You could take either of these options. If it is my guess I would say he doesn't take you seriously and thinks you were just in a bad mood that day or something. Just send him a little helpful hint like "hey, how is the packing coming" or something like that and maybe he will start to realize you are serious or give him little updates like "you are gone on 3 more weeks just to let you know" and keep updating him on it to make sure he knows.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Were it me, and you had given me 4 to 6 weeks from the outset, of your own volition noless, I don't think you're then entitled to harrass me about it for the duration. However, that doesn't mean you can't be fully ready to proceed with forced eviction come week 7.
    Imabadman Posts: 303, Reputation: 135

Sep 16, 2009, 01:59 PM

I don't see that asking him if he's still prepared to move out on X-date is harassment... a gentle reminder is fine in my opinion. Providing you two are not bumping uglies and carrying on like a couple.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 03:34 PM

It's never a good idea to live under the same roof as an ex. Furthermore, you have children who are your priority. You must keep in mind that you have to act in the best of your children. Now that he's an ex, he's basically a stranger in the house. So it would be best to remind him that it would be in both your best interest that he moves out as soon as possible to avoid any unnecessary entanglements. Just remember to approach him in a calm and mature manner. You have to set a good example for your children. The less drama the better, otherwise it would be an unhealthy environment for your children.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 03:13 PM
    No more talk, serve him with his eviction notice, and change the locks. Doesn't matter whether he acknowledges it, or not, as long as your within your lawful rights.

Don't feed him, or do anything a loving partner would do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live-in Boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend has been living in my house for the most part of eight years. I own this home and he is not on the mtg. All of the utilities are in my name, other than his cell phone. He has never signed a lease. He does get mail here (obviously). Our relationship has deteriorated to the...

Live-in boyfriend in sc [ 3 Answers ]

I moved to sc less than a year ago. I had a live-in boyfriend who is now just a roommate. He has a separate bedroom but still pays rent which is less than half the mortgage. I want him out. He's very comfortable, he's living in a new house, all the utilities are paid and he's eating. I asked him to...

Should I get rid of my live in boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

Hi have been with him for 9 year's and he is still living of me. I have a disabled son he's 10. And he will not help with anything. Any money he makes he keeps to himself, he plays out still and he's 44. Its always my mate my mates. He lives on his computer while I do the shopping the house work...

I can't live without my ex boyfriend ! [ 4 Answers ]

I can't seem to live without my ex and I don't know what to do. We had been together for 6 years and have a 2 year old son together. Before we broke up I was always the jealous type and always accusing him of cheating. I was always accusing him about that cause he was always flirting, he says" it...

View more questions Search