Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Dryer cord
    How do I change an old 3 prong dryer cord to a new 4 prong cord. My dryer has 3 on it but new house has 4 prong receptale.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Get yourself a 30 amp 4 wire male "pigtail" to match the outlet. Look for a NEMA number on the face.

Remove the old cord, usually held in by a two screw cable clamp, or should be, from the dryer.

You will see a terminal strip with three lug studs usually nutted,sometimes clamping screws. You should see the center one has the white wires going into the unit. Here is where you should see a jumper strap or wire connecting the white wires to the metal frame of the unit.

Remove this and discard.

Center lug is white, the other two get the black and red, don't matter which one, and the green from the cord needs to connect to the metal frame, may need some sort of lug held by a tight sheet metal ,better if machine thread, screw.

Tighten the cord clamp. Done.
    travis d smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    Then where does the dryers ground wire(green, yellow stripes) go

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn Mower Replacement cord [ 3 Answers ]

How can I attach a replacement pull cord on a Murray push mower?

Fused test Cord [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to make a fused test cord. How do I wire this? I have a switch with a post marked "hot lead" and a post with a wire going to the fuse. On the fused side is another post.How do I connect my incoming cord and the outgoing cord? I wired it the way it makes sense to me but popping breaker.

Searching for large trimmer cord [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find large diameter (.170+) mower trimmer cord at a good price?

Homelite Trimmer Cord [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how to remove the metal cylinder (where rod goes) so I can remove orange housing - and reach cord to replace. On top of cylinder is a piece that looks like it might have star screw down inside of it. Any help would be appreciated. Cyn

Broken lawn mower cord [ 4 Answers ]

I own a murray lawnmower with a briggs and stratton motor. The problem is my dogs chewed through the cord on it so I have to take apart the engine to fix it. Will I have to drain the fluids and how would I do that. I tried to get maintenance tips forn their website but there is nothing about...

View more questions Search