Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RLouisewaters Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 02:44 AM
    Bad Employment Reference
    Please could you let me know if I have to include my last employment on my resume.

I was dismissed from this job and fear that a reference from this company will prevent me from securing a new position.

I was in this job for around 16 months and had been with my previous employer for over 18 years.

Please could you advise me as I need to start job hunting and this is causing me concern.

Many thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 02:56 AM

As long as you don't want to explain the unemployment gap, no, you don't have to include anything on your resume you don't want to. It isn't the law. It is up to you.

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2009, 02:59 AM

Yes you do. It is never a good idea to omit pertinent info on a resume. If a check is done, and discrepancies are found, your resume gets tossed.

You balance a possible negative referenced with positive references. The fact that you spent 18 years on your previous job will more than balance the short term on the last job.

Why were you dismissed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which reference is better [ 3 Answers ]

Who should I use as my reference Guy A: -store manager and general representative for the provincial branch of company -well carried and expressed individual -Thinks I work very well -but is well aware that I am anything but punctual (knows I skipped work often) Guy B -floor manager

How to Not Reference [ 2 Answers ]

So, I work for a pretty prestigious gaming company that I am very proud of. I have good tenure, and have been there for almost 3.5 years now in the support department as management. I actively play one of the games I help to support, and have a tendency to meet lots of online personalities. So...

Employment Law regarding employment applications [ 2 Answers ]

I know that employers can ask on their applications if you have ever been convicted of a felony, but I ran into one the other day that asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Just wondering why the 7 years.

Bad Reference [ 4 Answers ]

I was going to start on a job on the Monday and on the Thursday my potential employer pulled out, I have since found out that this was from a bad reference from my former employer. Although nothing is in writing he has been boasting to other colleagues that he has messed up my chances big time! I...

View more questions Search