Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 01:07 AM
    Which Type of Contact Lenses Can Be Worn for a Longer Period During the Day?
    Hi, All!

I'm wondering, which type of contact lenses can be worn longer during the day, hard or soft lenses?

Thanks!
    kaalvoetkind Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Sep 16, 2009, 02:51 AM

I don't know but I don't think there is a difference - I've worn both but hard lenses were really difficult to get used to
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 11:11 AM

It depends on the brand. Most soft lenses are more breathable and can be worn longer.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Hi, Momma!

So, what brands of soft lenses might be more tolerable than others, please?

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Momma!

So, what brands of soft lenses might be more tolerable than others, please?

Thanks!
    My friend buys the disposable kind, she finds them more comfortable and can wear them
    For a lot longer.

Clough, have you considered lasik?
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 09:53 PM
    Hi, Alty!

I can't afford lasik.

I currently have a hard contact in one eye and a soft one given to me by the optometrist's office. I lost one of my hard lenses, and I'm finding the soft one to be more uncomfortable than the hard one.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 12:51 PM

Disposable contacts you cannot wear for a lot longer, they are designed for one-day wear. There are one-day lenses, one-week lenses, two-week lenses, and one-month lenses. To be frank with you since I don't know your eye health history, this would be a better question for your optometrist. If you don't like their answers, seek a second opinion.
    Vision Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Hi, Alty!

I can't afford lasik.

I currently have a hard contact in one eye and a soft one given to me by the optometrist's office. I lost one of my hard lenses, and I'm finding the soft one to be more uncomfortable than the hard one.

Thanks!
    Laser eye surgery is pretty affordable these days. MOST places do a free consultation, so what do you have to lose? If you have vision insurance you can see if they offer any discounts toward the surgery. And most clinics offer payment plans.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Hi again, Momma!

I have no insurance and even a payment plan would over-strech my budget to the max!

Maybe some other time for some kind of surgery...

I do appreciate your advice, though!

I've been with my present optometrist since the early 1980's. We're growing old, together...

I'm very successful a couple of times a year... with losing one of my contacts! :eek:

Well, at least I've been successful at something...

What are the least expensive soft lenses that last for more than a month, please?

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 03:00 PM

Most soft contacts are not supposed to be worn for more than a month. But the most inexpensive ones are Acuvue.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 05:28 PM
    So, can Acuvue be worn for a month and how do they compare in cost to hard lenses, please?

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 06:27 PM

Yes they can. It depends on what brand of hard lenses, they don't all cost the same. And prices for acuvue vary depending on location and store. IN MY TOWN, Costco is the cheapest you can go.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 11:10 PM
    I wear gas permeable hard lenses. It's my understanding that there's only one supplier for them in the U.S. So, I'm stuck with a high price when I need to get a new lense.

Since I have acute astimatism, would Acuvue lenses be something that would work for me? I also need to be able to see extremely well close-up to read music and work on intricate parts of certain types of musical instruments to repair them. My optometrist usually is able to get my vision in each eye to about 20/15. At least, I think that he does now... Used to be that way, anyway. I'm getting older...

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 01:09 PM

Yes, they have Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism. For close up work, do you require bifocals? Are you wearing a lense in one eye for close and one lense in the other eye for far?

I do believe that there is more than one company that supplies hard contact lenses, do you know the brand that you wear?
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 12:08 AM
    Hi again, Momma!

No, I don't know the brand of hard contact lenses that I wear. I can ask about that, though. Yes, one contact is for near and the other is for far vision.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 04:26 PM
    Hi again, Momma!

No, I don't know the brand of hard contact lenses that I wear. I can ask about that, though. Yes, one contact is for near and the other is for far vision.

Thanks!
    It should say on your box/vial and prescription.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 20, 2009, 08:35 PM

Hi. I use bausch and lomb soflens 66 toric for astigmatism and they are great! I wear them all day long and they are so comfortable. I sometimes even take a nap with them in (even though I'm not supposed to)and they still stay in place.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 01:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    It should say on your box/vial and prescription.
    I've never seen a box/vial nor prescription for what I wear.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XOXOlove View Post
    hi. i use bausch and lomb soflens 66 toric for astigmatism and they are great! i wear them all day long and they are so comfortable. i sometimes even take a nap with them in (even though i'm not supposed to)and they still stay in place.
    Hi, XOXOlove!

I'll have to ask my optometrist about those.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 11:13 AM
    I've never seen a box/vial nor prescription for what I wear.

Thanks!
    What did they come in then? And by law the doctor has to give you your prescription. What if you wanted to have your eyes checked there, and purchase lenses elsewhere?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Melting contact lenses? [ 7 Answers ]

I received a forwarded email that advised people who wear contacts to keep away from very hot heat sources (i.e. fires). Supposedly some guy's contact lenses melted when he was BBQ-ing, which caused him to become blind. I'm rather skeptical about this message (as I am with most forwards of this...

Contact lenses [ 10 Answers ]

I went to the ophthalmologist and had a thorough eye exam - I have worn contacts for ages, went to the optician with the prescription from the ophthalmologist, he fitted me for contacts and recommended Day & Night (or the other way around) and for whatever reason I said, sure, I'll take them. ...

Contact Lenses [ 3 Answers ]

Does any one know some contacts lenses that have the diameter 14.2 and base curve 8.6...

What do you think of your contact lenses? [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys Have you tried any of these lenses? Cibavision O2 Optix (Air Optix) Cooperview Proclear Compatibles Johnson & Johnson Acuvue Oasys

Contact lenses [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I know this has nothing to do with teens but it's the only thing close enough to the question. I have contact lenses I am having a trial week and the only problem is I find it hard to put the lenses in and take out. I have tried many ways but none seem to work. ANY IDEAS?! :confused:

View more questions Search