Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlposas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2004, 06:41 AM
    Holding new kittens
    How long after kittens are born can they be touched or held ? I was told that if they were touched too soon the mother would push them away... true or not?
    linz_legrand Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2004, 04:48 PM
    Holding new kittens
    My parents tell me that kittens are not supposed to be touched until they are weened, but that seems like a long wait for me! My cats have had two litters of kittens and I have held them looong before that point. While my cat was giving birth to her first litter, she started having them under my car and I had to leave, so I had to move them. They all turned out fine, but had repeted upper-resperatory infections (I'm not sure if there's a connection though). So I would say it's at your descression, but I would factor in how socialable the mother cat is.

Good luck and enjoy your new kittens!

- Lucy
    mechanicaleden Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Sep 6, 2004, 05:08 PM
    Re: holding new kittens
    Hey,
    I have taken care of lots of kittens, some just born, through the local animal shelter's foster care program, and I start holding them when they are just a few days old. Most mother cats, if they are well-adjusted to humans, don't mind... but if they do, just wait until they are a little older. I think it is a myth that the mother will reject them... their maternal instincts are so strong at that point that not much deters them. Even so, just to be safe, it may be best to give them about 3 days alone with Mom to establish strong connections. The younger/more often they are handled, the more adjusted they will be to people... just keep the handling sessions brief, positive and non-scary. It's best to start start with stroking them while they're lying in their box... picking them up can be frightening... it's like what a predator would do. When you do first pick them up, if the kitten is crying and/or struggling, don't push it. Just remember to make it as enjoyable and comfortable for the kittens as you can, so they'll learn humans are a good thing! Spend as much time with them as you can, be gentle and have fun! It's up to you to make these babies into nice, friendly pets!
    jlposas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2004, 05:14 PM
    Re: holding new kittens
    Thank you for the info. I've been wanting to pet them more than pick them up at this point but don't want to do anything that will cause them harm or cause the mother to abandon them, I've never had kittens before so just wanted to make sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2x 16 week kittens [ 2 Answers ]

My youngest of 2 cats (sachi) was killed by a car on Friday, and my mum thought that she would cheer me up with 2 new 16 week kittens, one male one female, reluctantly I took them, they were obviously very nervous and quiet. They were infested with fleas which I have treated them both, and washed...

401k loan won't rollover left holding the bag! [ 1 Answers ]

My company recently merged with another and now I have two different 401k plans. The company is planning on merging the plans for the employees early 07. I would like to take a loan out of the plan I have had established the longest but will not have paid it back completely by the time the plans...

Something Holding Me Down... [ 3 Answers ]

It happened about a year ago. I was sleeping and I wanted to wake up and I did. (I usually do that if I feel like something bad is about to happen). So I woke up and couldn't move. And I could see this thing it was black kind of shadow like holding me down. And everything kind of calmed down since...

Kittens [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 kittens that will be 5 weeks on this Saturday they won't eat cat food yet is this right only one is drinking water but they are using the litter box can you give me some info please

Holding on... [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, this is going to be a long one... so hold on here and bear with me please... I have only loved one person in my short life-span (20, f), I had a 3 month relationship with him after knowing him for 2.5 yrs, it was long-distance. We ended it on good terms, he just couldn't take not being...

View more questions Search