Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carrie1982 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2009, 02:05 PM
    My tenant has a month-to-month lease and has not paid rent-- NYC
    Hi,

I have a subletter in my apartment and she only has an oral agreement to stay here and she has been here for more than 30 days. First, she said she'd move at the end of last month, but on the last day she told us she was staying. When my husband asked her for the rent, she started screaming at him and was completely out of control. My husband called the cops but there was nothing that they could do since they said we had to give a 30 day written notice to quit.

Now it's more than a week later and she still has not paid rent. She keeps saying she's going to move out and pay rent but she hasn't done either. What are the rules in NYC? I read that in some states for nonpayment of rent you can give the tenant 3 to 5 days notice to quit the premises or pay up. Can I do that in NYC?

Also, she has been inviting her friends over and eating all our food. Since they are not on the lease can we have them removed from the premises? She has this guy stay over all the time and we have been giving her a discounted rent because she was having trouble paying and it definitely does not cover two tenants. Literally her rent doesn't even cover utilities. Please let me know what my rights are and how I can get rid of this tenant!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 05:57 PM

Yes you have to give her 30 day written notice. I don't know if New York requires that before going to court or if you can go directly to court. After the court eviction notice the sheriffs will remove her if she still will not leave. I would quit buying food and eat out until she is gone.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 06:04 PM

This does not sound like a sublet, sounds more like a room for rent inside your home, right? Here are the rules but we must determine the type of renter you have first http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/r...ghts_guide.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to Month Lease with rent increase [ 7 Answers ]

Hi... what is the law concerning month to month apartment rentals? I have been living at my place for over a year, and my lease expired June '08. Since I have been on a month to month. The past few months, I have been paying my rent late; but it's always been paid in full including the...

Upstate NY Month to Month lease termination- Prorated rent after 1st of next month? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, As a month to month renter in Rochester, NY (outside the city) with no lease, I gave notice on June 3 that I would be moving out on July 1. My landlord proceeded to tell me that I would be responsible for the ENTIRE month of July's rent, even though my 30 day notice would take me to the...

Paid partial rent for first month, no lease, decided not to move in. [ 2 Answers ]

I gave landlord half a months rent in advance believing that I was going to move in. it was not intended to be a holding deposit. The landlord was a friend of a friend and the apartment had been empty for over a year. I did not know that the landlord had been actively trying to rent out the...

Getting a month to month tenant to sign 1 year lease [ 2 Answers ]

My New Jersey tenant signed a 1 year lease that ended last year and stayed in the apartment on a month to month lease. I am now thinking of putting the bldg up for sale. Is it important to have all tenants with signed leases when I put it up for sale? They seem to be dragging their feet on signing...

Tenant wants prorated rent for last month of lease [ 1 Answers ]

My tenants do not want to move out of the condo that they have been renting for 2 years. In November of this year, they experienced some loss of electricity in the kitchen. Everything works except the ceiling light. We did not repair it because of the expense. We had already decided not to renew...

View more questions Search