Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Edwyne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2009, 11:16 AM
    A.P and G.P series
    1. (a) if S1, S2, S3 be the sum of n, 2n, 3n terms respectively of an A.P, prove that S3= 3(S2-S1). (S1 is numaer of first n terms).
    (b) find four terms in A.P whose sum is 20 and the sum of whose square is 120.
    (c) the digits of a positive integer having three digits are in A.P and their sum is 15. The number obtained by reversing the digits is 594 less than the original number. Find the number.
    (d) if a,b,c are in A.P, prove that (I) (ab)^-1, 1/ac, 1/bc are also in A.P. (ii) a(b+c)/bc, b(a+c)/ca, c(a+b)/ab are also in A.P.
    (e) if a^2, b^2, c^2 are in A.P, prove that (I) 1/(b+c), 1/(c+a), 1/(a+b) are also in A.P. (ii) a/(b+c), b/(c+a), c/(a+b) are also in A.P.
    (f) the sum to infinity of a G.P series is R. The sum to infinity of the squares of the terms is 2R. The sum to infinity of the cubes of the terms is (64/13)R. Find (I) the value of R. (ii) the first term of the first original series.
    2. Solve for x
    (I) x(x+1)^2(x+2)=72
    (ii) (x-5)(x-7)(x+4)(x+6)=504
    kreysiz Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2015, 10:42 AM
    1) a) sum of 1st n terms = (n/2)*[2a + (n-1)d] ; where n = number of terms ; a = first number of the sequence ; d = common difference between consecutive numbers
    sum of 1st 2n numbers = (2n/2)*[2a + (2n-1)d]
    sum of 1st 3n numbers = (3n/2)*[2a + (2n-1)d]
    Use the above results to get your answer
    b) Let the four numbers be ( a-3d) , (a-d) ; (a+d) ; (a+3d)
    c) Let the three digits of the number be (a-d),a,(a+d)
    d) Use the basic definition of AP i.e second term - first term = third term - second term = common difference
    e) same as (d)
    f) Sum of the infinte series in G.P is given by the eqaution:-
    sum = a/(1-r) ; where a = first term of the series ; r = common ratio of the series = second term/first term

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

German shepard dog television series just want to know the name of the series! [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody know of a dog series that was on TV during the early 90s. Where its main focus was a german shepard, who would help people in all the different episodes. I Remember the song of the TV series which went like this " until tomorrow I am going to settle down" Its not lassis just would...

What is the capacity of my Kenmore 80 Series Washer & 90 Series Dryer? [ 1 Answers ]

We are trying to figure out what the capacity is of our Kenmore Washer and Dryer that we purchased over 10 years ago in Canada. I can't find it anywhere on the machine or manual. The Model # of the Kenmore 80 Series Super Capacity Plus Washer is 110.4784292, Serial #CH0802766. The model # of the...

Age of Series [ 1 Answers ]

How do you determine what year a series of model is? Like Kenmore 90 (SERIES) THEY GO 70, 80, 90?? How can you find out how old a washer or dryer is based on series #? Please help.. THANKS

View more questions Search