Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshinewoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Sister wants to live with us.
    My 14 year old sister send me an email asking if she can come live with us for her grade 10, 11, and 12 high school years. And I thank god she asked before she just showed up. She has been thinking about this for a while now, but never said anything for sure.

Her dominant reason for wanting to move to us is that my mothers new husband has been mentally and physically abusing her since she met him, even more so after they got married. My mother being the way she is turns a cold shoulder to it, because she doesn't want a 6th divource. I don't agree, but thath's not the issue here.

I am concerned about my mothers husbands reaction. Obviously she will have difficulties with her daughtwe wanting to move away, but she is old enough to choose by herself. And I believe her safety and wellbeing is more important. The same situation occurred with myself when I was that age, when I moved in with my older sister due to an ex husband.

I am just really concerned that once he gets informed of what will be happening next summer, that he will do everythign in his power to ensure she can't leave. I wouldn't hold it from him.

Do I have the right to take her in? Enroll her in school and claim her as a dependent? SHe is my halfsister after all. And we would have all of my mothers permission. Can he do anythign to stop this from happening?
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2009, 10:51 AM

The new stepfather is mentally and physically abusing her? If you have evidence of that, most states require you to report the abuse to the law. Or you could inform you mother that she is in jeopardy of being charged with neglect by allowing her "new" husband to abuse her child. I'd call the Child Abuse Hotline and report the situation. They investigate, if evidential, they'll remove her from the home and hopefully, place her with you. You can then "legally" do all the things that all children need when they live in your home.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2009, 11:28 AM

Since she has two parents the court would ask that both parents agree to temporary guardianship.

Her father MAY have to give permission as well even if he is not the custodial parent.
    If the step father has legally adopted her,he would have to agree.

Her age is of LITTLE significance in a court of law.She is still a minor and while she may be appointed a law guardian,the judge has the final say.

You would also need to show the court that you are stable,financially and emotionally to accept temporary guardianship.

Unless you can prove to the court that her environment is abusive and you would be able to provide a better home,I would rethink calling children's services as she could end up in foster care.I would only do this as a last resort.

I am not a legal expert,my advice is from personal experience.
    sunshinewoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2009, 11:44 AM

No no I do not want to go through child services. The abuse that is happening hasn't thappened this time around. Two of my stepfathers abused myself and my older sister, My younger sisters biological father mentally abused her and now her stepfather is doing both. My mother just never seems to learn.
    I do not want to report it because I do not want to take the chance of her ending up in foster care, and being taken away from my mother. She is a really good mother, just hasn't made the best choices, and works too much (since he got laid off) to see everything that he does.
    My mother has no problem with her moving to me for a coupke of years or however long she wants. I am only concerned abou thim. I know he is going to freak. That's the type of man he is.
    And he doesn't have to give permission for her since he will not and has not adopted her. ALso her biological father gave up his rights to her when we left Germany to Canada (law is different in Germany, he still has to pay for her though)

Can I or can't I enroll her in a school only being her sister? Obviously I would have papers and permission from our mother, but no legal guardianship other than sibling. We do not want to take her away from my mother, that is not the purpose of this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 05:21 PM

In my State - NY - you cannot enroll her in school without legal guardianship (unless, of course, you're the natural parent).

Your stepfather has no say in any of this. It's your mother who has control of the situation - unless your stepfather adopted her and I don't see any indication of that (unless I missed something). Can he make your life miserable? Probably. Is there anything he can do legally? No. Can you get him arrested if he harasses you? Yes.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 06:40 PM

Even though you don't want to go through the courts, it really is the best way. Since you say your mother doesn't mind if she moves in with you it should be a relatively simple process (my parents opposed my aunt and uncle's request for guardianship. Getting the judge to grant it was a long, drama-filled process). By establishing a guardianship you won't have to worry about whether you can enroll her in school, whether you can authorize necessary medical care, taking her on trips with you, or the possibility of your mother simply changing her mind and making her move back in on a whim. While the guardianship is possible to reverse, it requires both parties to go back to court. So let's say your mother says she can move in, she does, but there's no guardianship. The new husband may push your mother to make your sister move back in and you won't be able to stop it. But if you have a guardianship, you won't have to worry about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting Custody of my live-in 16 year old Sister [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am 24 years old, and I am the "de facto custodian" of my 15 (almost 16) year old sister. She has been living with me in my apartment since October 2006. I provide her shelter, transportation, food, clothing, everything. I receive $25/mo from our mother to go towards a gym...

Sister in prison expecting twins I'm the only sister how do I get them [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I'm in Indiana. My sister is in prison expecting twins. I am her sister both our parents haved passed. The father denys being with her. So how would I legally go about getting custody of the babies when they are born? So you think just a notorized letter might work? My sister is 28...

Opening live mail opens live messenger. [ 1 Answers ]

This is getting kind of annoying as it lags my PC... Everyime I log into my windows live mail/hotmail it opens windows live messenger, regardless whether I want to use it or not. Any ideas? I checked the Windows Live Messenger's settings but found nothing. Btw, I use IE 8 and I'm running...

My sister-in-law and her live in boyfriend of 5 years have never had sex! [ 4 Answers ]

My sister-in-law recently came to me for advice. I really didn't know what to tell her. She told me that she has never had sex with her boyfriend of 5 years. They have lived together and slept in the same bed for the last 4 years. She said that she had tried to encourage sex, but he always says...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search