Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 12:58 AM
    2004 Pontiac Sunfire
    I have yet another question for you guys.

I also own among my array of cars a 2004 Sunfire. This car is my primary car and it is a great little car. 120k miles and still pushing strong. But I have a feeling the mileage is starting to catch up. Here's what happens.

90% the car runs like a top. (besides the fact I need new brakes :D)

The other 10% its got issues starting almost like it needs a simple tune-up. It rolls over then while my car is still cranking it will stop even when the key is being turned. But it starts cranking again and then starts. This is all within a few seconds.

Any ideas?

Rick
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006
    Any ideas?
    Not yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006
    It rolls over then while my car is still cranking it will stop even when the key is being turned. but it starts cranking again and then starts. This is all within a few seconds.
    Do you mean that the engine stops turning even though you are holding the key in the CRANK position?
    Check the condition of the battery and both ends of both battery cable. You may need to clean cable ends and/or replace battery bolts as required.
    State of "tune" may need updating as well. Review your vehicle's history.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    State of "tune" may need updating as well. Review your vehicle's history.
    I am unsure of what is meant by this. But I will check the battery first thing in the morning and deal with that accordingly. I'll see if that makes any sort of difference.

But yes it stops cranking even while the key is in the crank position! Just for a millisecond then it contrinues cranking then starts!

Rick
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 04:00 PM

I just say that because there isn't much of a tune-up any more.
    Spark plugs are being designed to last up to 100K miles. Fuel filters are being installed in the tank and require no routine service.
    And with synthetic fluids being as dang good as they are, there will be less fluid changes, engine oil or transmission fluid.
    Gear oil for your drive train is also available as a synthetic.
    Inspect your air filter and accessory drive belts, or have someone do this for you...
    Rotate your tires and, by all means, check your air pressure regularly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2005 Pontiac Sunfire Speedometer [ 4 Answers ]

The speedometer on my 2005 sunfire has quit. Today I replaced the output speed sensor and it didn't help. What do you suggest next?

2005 Pontiac Sunfire. Speedometer sticking [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Sunfire and the speedometer is sticking. However it only happens once it gets hot outside. Usually it stays stuck at 0mph. Although sometimes it will move a little and end up getting stuck in random places. Once the weather cools down the problem goes away. What could be causing the...

2004 Pontiac Sunfire w/Pioneer DEH P7300r Receiver [ 0 Answers ]

I need a mount and faceplate that fits my car, I can't find one. Need help! Thanks Rick

2004 Pontiac Sunfire Rev Limiter [ 4 Answers ]

Is a rev limiter needed? What for? Can it be taken off?

View more questions Search