Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jackrussel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 02:48 PM
    I am 75 years old & been keeping rabbits since I was six. NEVER, NEVER, humanize a Rabbit. OK the Rabbit will recognize humans as friends by the feeding/handling/grooming. Keep it indoors in the warm in the winter & it may get ill. They are an outside animal & actually like the cold. Just see where he/she sits on either a warm or cold day. Normally in the shade or cooler parts of the garden/hutch. What they need is less attention, just being there is enough. Talk to it, offer it a treat now & again, the treat would be some of it's food NOT RABBIT CHOCKIES. Or such, all they do is make the food manufacturers & pet-shops even more money. Just be there, that's enough. If you keep two rabbits have the male neutered. Consider a guinea pig also. Most animals will live together if they are cared for & well fed. I have a Jack Russel "Cindy" who often goes into the Rabbit run. They have been together since babies, they are friends. Cindy keeps cats, other dogs & rats away. The Guinea pig is also in the same run. No problems. KEEP THEM ALL OUTSIDE.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrussel View Post
    I am 75 years old & been keeping rabbits since I was six. NEVER, NEVER, humanize a Rabbit. OK the Rabbit will recognize humans as friends by the feeding/handling/grooming. Keep it indoors in the warm in the winter & it may get ill. They are an outside animal & actually like the cold. Just see where he/she sits on either a warm or cold day. Normally in the shade or cooler parts of the garden/hutch. What they need is less attention, just being there is enough. Talk to it, offer it a treat now & again, the treat would be some of it's food NOT RABBIT CHOCKIES. or such, all they do is make the food manufacturers & pet-shops even more money. Just be there, thats enough. If you keep two rabbits have the male neutered. Consider a guinea pig also. Most animals will live together if they are cared for & well fed. I have a Jack Russel "Cindy" who often goes into the Rabbit run. They have been together since babies, they are friends. Cindy keeps cats, other dogs & rats away. The Guinea pig is also in the same run. No problems. KEEP THEM ALL OUTSIDE.
    What benefit is there to keeping them outside vs inside?

You have just stated that they do fine outside, not WHY it is better.

Rabbits are social animals they don't deserve to be locked up alone outside.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 08:47 PM
    I am 75 years old & been keeping rabbits since I was six. NEVER, NEVER, humanize a Rabbit. OK the Rabbit will recognize humans as friends by the feeding/handling/grooming. Keep it indoors in the warm in the winter & it may get ill. They are an outside animal & actually like the cold. Just see where he/she sits on either a warm or cold day. Normally in the shade or cooler parts of the garden/hutch. What they need is less attention, just being there is enough. Talk to it, offer it a treat now & again, the treat would be some of it's food NOT RABBIT CHOCKIES. or such, all they do is make the food manufacturers & pet-shops even more money. Just be there, thats enough. If you keep two rabbits have the male neutered. Consider a guinea pig also. Most animals will live together if they are cared for & well fed. I have a Jack Russel "Cindy" who often goes into the Rabbit run. They have been together since babies, they are friends. Cindy keeps cats, other dogs & rats away. The Guinea pig is also in the same run. No problems. KEEP THEM ALL OUTSIDE.
    I disagree.

You state that you're 75 years old and have been keeping rabbits since you were six, well, I hate to say it, but back then rabbits weren't kept as pets, they were kept as food. Those that were kept as pets were treated like any other pet back then, as an accessory, not as part of the family.

Nowadays people have pets for companionship. Also, we've learned a lot more about rabbits then they knew back then. For instance, rabbits are social animals. They actually don't do well alone. If you have a pair then neutering the male will prevent pregnancy but the female that's left unspayed will have a much shorter life span then if she was spayed. Unspayed females have an average life expectancy of 3 -5 years, spayed up to 12 years. That's a huge difference!

Outdoor rabbits (just like their wild kin) have a shorter lifespan as well, because of the weather and predators. It's a fact.

If you cannot keep your rabbit indoors then why get one? An indoor rabbit is a pet. An outdoor rabbit is just livestock, in my opinion.
    Jackrussel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 03:06 AM
    Quite correct. Rabbit stew... lovely. About neutering. If women are "done" do they also live longer. God help us men. But there is always the stew pot.

Lions Tigers etc are also lovable animals but look here woman. Even you wouldn't want one in your home. Animals belong OUTSIDE. They can still be cared for & loved. They can be kept warm in the cold & cool in the heat. My OUTSIDE Rabbits are healthy & live long lives except those for the pot. As do my chickens/ducks.

Rabbit pie for dinner & chicken tomorrow, probably a duck on Sunday.

Jackrussel

PS: I don't fancy the Jack Russel though, sticks in the teeth.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 11:39 AM
    quite correct. Rabbit stew.............lovely. About neutering. If women are "done" do they also live longer. God help us men. but there is always the stew pot.

Lions Tigers etc are also lovable animals but look here woman. Even you wouldn't want one in your home. Animals belong OUTSIDE. they can still be cared for & loved. They can be kept warm in the cold & cool in the heat. My OUTSIDE Rabbits are healthy & live long lives except those for the pot. As do my chickens/ducks.

Rabbit pie for dinner & chicken tomorrow, probably a duck on Sunday.

Jackrussel

PS: I don't fancy the Jack Russel though, sticks in the teeth.
    Look here woman? Really? You're going there?

Lions and tigers are not domesticated animals, rabbits are.

As for women living longer if they're spayed, I wouldn't know, we're not talking about people, we're talking about rabbits. You do realize that there's a difference, right?

I have four rabbits, they're all indoor rabbits, and yes, I do want them in my home, because I know it's what's best for them and I also get to spend more time with them this way. Also, all of them are fixed.

Obviously you don't consider your rabbits to be pets, just animals that you'll either keep or eat. That's the difference between us.

The person that asked this question has a pet rabbit, not a rabbit that may be destined for the pot.

Can you keep rabbits outdoors? Yes, it can be done, but there are dangers in doing so.

If you want a rabbit that's a pet, then indoors is best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabbit control [ 3 Answers ]

Is there some way to control rabbits from eating whatever they want? I've thought of trapping, but that may be endless. Thanks, Jach

My Stressy Rabbit [ 3 Answers ]

My rabbit is very STRESSY. I can't have a sit down and have a hug because when I try she just tries to bite me . I tried a lot of things and tried to disipline her but she does not take it as disapline . She probably thinks of it as a joke . Can someone help me in any at all ? Tiny Rue

My rabbit [ 2 Answers ]

Heya again , My rabbit isn't to calm she likes to jump about and nibble but if I waned to make her calmer how do I do that and how do I stop her from niping

My rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

;) hello, My rabbit is called dillie dolli and she won't let me put my hand in her cage. She lunges for my hand and it's the same when I am feeding her . What shall I do ? Also can I cliker train her to do stuff. :rolleyes: Thank you Tiny Rue:cool:

View more questions Search