Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Magomad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Shopping cart down a hill
    Jill has just gotten out of her car in the grocery store parking lot. The parking lot is on a hill and is tilted 3 degrees. Fifty meters downhill from Jill, a little old lady lets go of a fully loaded shopping cart. The cart, with frictionless wheels, starts to roll straight downhill. Jill immediately starts to sprint after the cart with her top acceleration of 2.0m/s^2.

I went:

S(1) = 1/2*a(j)*t^2
    S(2) = 50 + 1/2*a(cart)*t^2

I set them equal to each other.

1/2*a(j)*t^2 = 50 + 1/2*a(cart)*t^2

1/2*2*t^2 = 50 + 1/2*.51*t^2
    Cross off the t^2s.

1=50+1/2*.51
    1=50.255

That's obviously not right, and this problem has given me a mental block. :(
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 03:01 PM

You were fine right up until you said "cross off the t^2s." You can't just get rid of them, because there isn't a t^2 in every term. What you do is group the like terms together:

1/2*2*t^2 = 50 + 1/2*.51*t^2
    t^2 = 50 +1/2*.51 t^2
    (1 - .51)t^2 = 50
    t^2 = 50/(1-.51) = 102
    t = 10.1 s

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shopping cart hit someone's car [ 17 Answers ]

My Mother returned an empty shopping cart to the store front, and the cart started rolling because of high winds and hit someone's car door. Now she wants me or my Mom to pay for it. I didn't see this whole thing because I was already in my car. My Mother doesn't speak much English, and she...

Which Shopping Cart? Who can I hire to build? [ 13 Answers ]

What is the best all around shopping cart that is EASY to install/use and fully functional and user friendly for my customers? I have had a site for several years and I have been ripped off so many times by web developers that were supposedly building my shopping cart and just took my money and...

Google Shopping Cart [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to delete the Google Shopping Cart? I know it is messing up my Google Map and it is very annoying. Thank you B1953

Pushing a shopping cart [ 2 Answers ]

A shopper in a supermarket pushes a loaded 32kg cart with a horizontal force of 12N. Questions: a. how far will the cart move in 3.5s, starting from rest? (disregard friction.) b. how far will the cart move in 3.5 s if the shopper places an 85N child in the cart before pushing? Answers:...

Finding the right shopping cart [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to buy/license an e-commerce system to sell a specialized product. This product requires the customer to put in from 3 to 12 detailed measurements, 4 other options. Once input the system will calculate a one-time price for this custom made item. I've been looking at a slew of shopping...

View more questions Search