Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jared81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Ceiling fan install (3 way switch)
    I am trying to install a ceiling fan and am having trouble because I'm told that the 3 way switch is causes more difficulties.

Fan wires:

2 green (ground)
    White
    Blue
    Black

House wires
    Red
    Black
    White
    Copper looking wire

Please help!
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Sep 14, 2009, 01:54 PM

Hopefully this will get you started till you get a better answer.

The bare copper house wire is the ground wire.
    The red and the black will be the live(carry electricity) wires. White is neutral.

I have never done one of these but I am guessing the blue one its for powering the fan while the black is for powering the light. That is for dimmers so that you can control light/fan speed at the switch on independent settings. I recommend you leave off the blue till you get the light working right and then connect the blue to the black.

You can find plenty of diagrams on line just Google "3 way switch diagram"

Example:
    Basic 3-Way Switch Diagram

There are many possibilities to hook these up and its hard to figure out which set up you have without a tester.

I recommend getting a simple power tester just for confidence sake for beginners. Just to see which wire is live with none connected. Where does the power come into the circuit 1st. It could be from the switch at the door(probably) or the ceiling light. Or you can use a simple light. Connect the plug... one prong to the black/red the other to the white wire and see where it lights up.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 03:02 PM
    [quote=jared81;1978527]I am trying to install a ceiling fan and am having trouble because I'm told that the 3 way switch is causes more difficulties.

Fan wires:

2 green (ground)
    White Neutral
    Blue Light
    Black Fan

House wires
    Red Hot - Suggest Light
    Black Hot - Suggest Fan
    White Neutral to Fan/Light Neutral
    Copper looking wire Pigtail the two Greens and the bare wire together.[/quote]

My concerns are the Red and Black conductors are actually being used as a feed and return circuits for the switched circuit. Can you tell me what conductors are physically attached to the existing switch?

Do you see three sets of cabling. One for the fan appliance - one for the constant hot source and one fr the switch loop?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 06:17 PM

How many switches control the fan, and do they control the fan and light separately?

You can try what Don suggests, it's my guess as well.

Ceiling Fan Wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    jared81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    How many switches control the fan, and do they control the fan and light separately?

You can try what Don suggests, it's my guess as well.

Ceiling Fan Wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

I think just one. I'm not sure though, I'm a novice at this
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 07:38 PM

Is the red black and white wires the only wires in the ceiling box?
    If so then white goes to white, black goes to black and red goes to blue. Or vice versa, can't tell from here.

Three way switches are not a factor unless the travelers run through ceiling box. If they do then we just have to ask more questions.
    If you have more wires in the ceiling box tell us how many and what color.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 09:34 PM

Ok let me ask this question instead. What makes you think you have a "three way switch"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling light install from a wall plug that is on/off switch [ 9 Answers ]

I have a bedroom wall plug. There is switch that turns power off & on , on the lower plug. I want to be able to set the switch up to turn a new ceiling light on & off and just have the wall plug with permanent hydro. What is the best way to set this up.

Trying to install a Lutron Maestro Fan/Light dimmer switch with a CD52 ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find the wiring diagram for my ceiling fan but I'm not having any luck, best I could find is this forum. I've got the lutron MA-LFQ-3 kit which has a fan control canopy module and a master/slave light/fan dimming combo. I have the fan apart and it has a molex...

Ceiling fan speed woes after new pullchain switch install [ 3 Answers ]

I have put a new 3-speed, 4-wire pullchain switch in two of my Hunter ceiling fans. I am 95% sure I reattached the wires to the correct numbered positions -- black on L, green on 3, etc. The fastest speed works fine on both, but the other two speeds are the same on both -- the slowest speed. Would...

Install ceiling fan light socket and fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

I removed broken light switch pull chain only to find out light socket was also bad. Removed light socket and tried to replace. The old light socket had a wire in addition to the standard black and white. Can I use the standard light socket or do I need to find this socket with third wire? I hooked...

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

View more questions Search