Ask
    jmarte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 08:12 AM
    How do I brake down salary to hourly
    How do I brake down salary of 57k to hourly in the state of Texas
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 08:15 AM

You really can't since a salaried person may not always work the same number of hours per week. I was an HR director for years and folks always wanted to do this, many erroneous views always come up. Do you count vacation days as part of the work year and so on. Folks who punch a clock are clearly hourly but salaried persons are paid to do a job, frequently without the amount of time considered to do that job.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2009, 08:17 AM

Multiply number hours worked a week by number weeks worked a year divided into amount paid for year.

Chuck
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Hi Bob

U are right about yearly salary, but for the most part hours per week in most cases is pretty standard.

I worked as super for remodeling company and averaged about 37 hours a week on salary. Some weeks worked as little as 8hrs and some as long as 50hrs

If working in office your hours are pretty much set and u could be on yearly salary

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 08:32 AM

You are a good example why folks should not try this. Do you use 8 hours or 50 hours in the calc. How about days off and vacation, do you count them in the days of work? In my last job I spent 10 hours with my scretary preparing a packet for a board presentation. Her pay increased that day while mine did not. She was hourly and I was salaried. Our work varies without extra comp.
    jmarte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 08:43 AM
    Thank you for all your answers. That's what I figure, annual salary divide it into 2080 (40 x 52) hourly rate is 27.40 but if you take the hourly rate and times it by 2080 is a difference of a few dollars and if you take the weekly and times it by 4.3 you get a monthly amt of 4,712.8 and if you take the monthly and times it by 12 you get 56,553.6 big difference.

I was just wondering if there was a set formula that takes into consideration or avoids these types of calculation.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Sep 15, 2009, 06:59 AM

Salaried exempt employees do not have hourly salaries as they are paid an annual salary to do a job. The annual salary is broken down into payperiods.

If you must have an hourly wage for say a bonus plan or some other reason for statistical reasons such as accruals than you would use the annual salary divided by 2080 formula. This is what we use in HR for statistical purposes.

Yes I know sometimes exempt work 50 hours and sometimes 10 hours a week, however, for the practical purpose the above formula is used.

I have been in HR and Payroll for the last 30 years and this is the formula that HR representatives as well as payroll use consistently for all practical purposes.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly over salary [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone in the State of Georgia who is an houry employee be the boss of an salary employee?

Salary vs hourly [ 3 Answers ]

If a person is salary do they get paid 40 hours per week and no overtime? If they are hourly they only get paid the hours they work including overtime at time and a half.

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

Salary Vs. Hourly [ 5 Answers ]

I understand the difference between exempt and non-exempt and how to actually pay them, but are there any legal ramifications for not paying someone that is salary for a sick day if they have exhausted all of their paid time off benefits? Toni Davis [email protected]

View more questions Search