Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lightsout2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 09:47 PM
    Need more light from ceiling fan light kit
    I need to replace my kitchen ceiling fan. I can't find a 42 inch model with enough light. Do they still make light kits for 2 or 3 medium base light bulbs (not candelabra)?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 07:32 AM

I am surprised you have not found this common light kit, try HD or Lowe's.

Sep 14, 2009, 01:50 PM
    I looked at both places, also checked the website's of "Hunter" and "Hampton Bay" could not find even 1 fan or light kit that had 2 - medium base lamp sockets.

Sep 14, 2009, 02:00 PM

I will do some hunting for you and get back.

Sep 14, 2009, 02:02 PM

Try a site like this. Ceiling Fans - Fanimation 3-Light Ceiling Fan Glass Bowl Fitter - FM-F423
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 06:16 PM

No, they no longer use medium base bulbs in ceiling fans. STUPID rule. The government dictated that all ceiling fans either have to come with candelabra sockets or CFLs, and the manufacturers, being cheap, chose the former.

You could buy one with candelabra sockets and replace the sockets.

Sep 23, 2009, 01:05 AM

Thanks very much for the info, I beleve you've solved my problem
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Sep 23, 2009, 01:10 AM
    Maybe I don't understand the problem, but I have seen candelabra base light bulbs in sizes up to 60 watts.

My problem is finding them in the 15 watt size... my kitchen fixture has six candelabra sockets and one medium base socket. Whenever I see 15 watt candelabra bulbs, I buy everything on the shelf!

Sep 23, 2009, 01:22 AM
    True, but a candelabra base lamp doesn't give as much light as a medium base lamp.

Sep 23, 2009, 07:52 AM
    I haven't heard that argument before.

I Can't find any lumens per watt comparisons between candelabra and medium base lamps, so I'll take your word for it.

Sep 24, 2009, 02:38 AM

Ohbob, the science doesn't really matter, my wife wants the brightest light possible, can't show her those 2 skimpy bulbs, the result would never be good enough
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 02:46 AM
    I am so glad we have our government,

Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    No, they no longer use medium base bulbs in ceiling fans. STUPID rule. The government dictated that all ceiling fans either have to come with candelabra sockets or CFLs,
    Taking care of us.

Don't eat fast food or trans fats, don't smoke (but pay taxes), everyone wear helmets, no matter what your doing, (tried wearing one to bed, wife was not amused), and don't use medium base light bulbs in ceiling fans.

I feel so much better now, and global warming is being fixed. Sure could have used some global warming this past summer.

Sep 24, 2009, 02:56 AM

Hold on ohbob, I have a feeling we've got a lot more of this kind of thing coming as our PC politicians "solve" the world's problems on our nickel.

Sep 24, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Sorry folks, I'm taking the bait on this one. I believe in some government regulation to keep us from destroying ourselves. The recent economic collapse was caused in part by the government NOT regulating corporate greed.

The Electricians on this board should know that the Electrical Code, which is an example of government regulation, protects everyone from unsafe practices. Our pure food and drug laws prevent companies from adding dangerous ingredients into processed food (remember the problems with dog food, honey, and infant formula imported from China?)

So, please, enough of this "the government needs to get out of our lives" rant.

Sep 24, 2009, 08:08 AM

Well thaks for your time & effort folks

Not so much for the lecture

Sep 24, 2009, 09:20 AM
    No charge for either
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightsout2 View Post
    true, but a candelabra base lamp doesn't give as much light as a medium base lamp.
    It always SEEMED this way to me.
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    I am so glad we have our government,

taking care of us.

Don't eat fast food or trans fats, don't smoke (but pay taxes), everyone wear helmets, no matter what your doing, (tried wearing one to bed, wife was not amused), and dont use medium base light bulbs in ceiling fans.

I feel so much better now, and global warming is being fixed. Sure could have used some global warming this past summer.
    I understand the sentiment behind the rule. It wasn't just conservation, it was safety. It was not uncommon to find 100 and 150 watt bulbs (and more) in ceiling fan lights designed for a max of 60 watts. My grandma did it in her kitchen ceiling fan before she passed.

But the way the rule is set up encourages the companies to screw us, and in fact discourages the use of CFLs. So the implimentation of it backfires.

This rule was created under Bush, maybe Barry will fix it.

Sep 29, 2009, 09:46 AM
    and in fact discourages the use of CFLs. So the implimentation of it backfires.
    Don't you just love unintended consequences.

This rule was created under Bush, maybe Barry will fix it.
    I love it when they get their hopes up. Its so much fun dashing them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991). I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and...

How to install a ceiling fan with a light and switch controlling the light and fan [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've read so many posts, but can't figure this out. (don't laugh) At the switch: The wiring from the wall has RED, BLACK, and GROUND (bare). The switch is a dimmer for both the fan and light. Wires are BLUE, RED, and BLACK. SO, how do I hook this up? At the fan: The wiring from...

Fluorescent light will not light on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a model #357630 Renaissance Hampton Bay ceiling fan. For a good 6 months the light would come on all by it's self. Today, I took the canopy down and found that the receiver was burned and melted a little. First I tried to wire it without a receiver, I could get the fan to work but not the...

Stuck string on ceiling fan/light combo light side [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan/single light combo, and the pull string to switch on the light is stuck... How do I dismantle the light fixture part to get at the string?. Will I need to replace anything inside?

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

View more questions Search