Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helper05 Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Fear??
    This may sound strange, but if I walk into a room with a ceiling fan that I going, I just freeze up, my heart starts pounding, and I have to literally force myself out of the room. If I am in the room, and the fan is not on, I'm fine, but as soon as someone turns it on, I practically run out of the room and tell them to turn it off. The other day my boss asked me to change a bulb in the office ceiling fan, but for some reason, even with it off, I couldn't make myself get close enough to it to do anything. Eventually, I just told him I wasn't going to do it, and tried explaining why, he thought I was making it up and told me to get back to the bulb, and again I refused, and I was fired for "insubbordination" but the job isn't the issue, what is with the fan? I mean yeah, my head was put through one when I was about 4 years old, but does that really have an impact on me, now that I'm 21? Please let me know SOMETHING
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Fear!

Yes, experiances in childhood can actully be carried over and continue with the fear right through adult hood. Some do and some do not.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 1, 2006, 05:40 PM
    I will say that people who don't share a particular fear that you do are quick to rub your nose in it.

Im not scared of fans, but I am chronicly afraid of heights, anything above 3 feet freaks me out. I can't even lay on the ground and look at the sky without feeling like Im flying away somewhere.

Many think this is foolish, and Im making it up too. But they don't understand. I feel your pain.

Yes my fear goes back to childhood as well, when I was a toddler, I almost fell out of a 3 story window. I didn't, but it was close.
    boogz Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by helper05
    This may sound strange, but if i walk into a room with a cieling fan that i going, i just freeze up, my heart starts pounding, and i have to literally force myself out of the room. If I am in the room, and the fan is not on, I'm fine, but as soon as someone turns it on, I practically run out of the room and tell them to turn it off. The other day my boss asked me to change a bulb in the office cieling fan, but for some reason, even with it off, i couldn't make myself get close enough to it to do anything. Eventually, i just told him I wasn't going to do it, and tried explaining why, he thought I was making it up and told me to get back to the bulb, and again I refused, and i was fired for "insubbordination" but the job isn't the issue, what is with the fan? I mean yeah, my head was put through one when I was about 4 years old, but does that really have an impact on me, now that im 21? Please let me know SOMETHING
    THAT HAS EVEYTHING TO DO WITH IT! You poor thing. You should go talk to someone about it. Or have a supprt system to make you touch a fan again... slowly work up to having it around you. IS It just celing fans? Or fans in general?
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 1, 2006, 06:33 PM
    If it makes you feel any better, since childhood, I have always been afraid of the blades on a ceiling fan flying off and darting across the room.

To this day I still prefer not to run them on high.

If as a child, someone raised you up in a ceiling fan as a cruel joke, I can picture that, and definitely see where that can stick with you for a while. Now that I take the time to really build your scenario in my mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fear [ 16 Answers ]

1. What is fear? 2. What causes fear? 3. What are some physical signs of fear? 4. How do you get over fear? This can be just general scientific answers or personal answers. I need someone else's points of view. :confused:

Fear of airplanes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, The company I work for has decided they need to send me overseas for business but I'm really not comfortable as I am deathly afraid of planes. I've only been on a plane once and it didn't go too well. I've talked directly to my boss about this and he recons it's just an opportunity to...

My worst fear... [ 5 Answers ]

I haven't written in a while, simply because I have felt horrible... I thought I was pregnant months ago, but ended up it was just a scare once again... well my worst fear has happened and I have just found out that I have PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) so that means I am going to have a hard...

Fear of Needle [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! I was wondering if anyone who is a medical assistant can answer my question... I want to become a medical assistant, but I have fear of needle and blood, is it require to give injection or to draw blood?

Fear of Confrontation and Intimacy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this board and I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who contributes and offers help to those of us in need. It is most appreciated. Now, as for my problem... Here is a breakdown of the problems that I suffer from. I'm sure they have something do with my confidence issues: ...

View more questions Search