Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tari5326 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 11:50 AM
    Correct punctuation in filing
    Hi, Could anyone please tell me the rule on filing correctly when you have a title that is usually abbreviated.

Example: Dr. Louis J. Johnson

Would it be filed as: Johnson Louis J Dr.

Or would it be: Johnson Louis J Dr (no period after r) Thanks, Tari:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 12:18 PM

Johnson, Dr. Louis J. There is always a period after the abbreviation of Doctor.

Tick
    tari5326 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Thanks for your help, but I'm asking strictly about Medical filing and I know I failed to state that in my original question. The 4th rule of filing states that when titles are used with first and last names that they become the last indexing unit, but it just fails to state if you use the period after an abbreviated title and I've seen it written both ways and I just was trying to see if anyone knew how it was supposed to be.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 02:15 PM

Hi, tara, I had no idea after all these years there was a fourth rule of filing. I have never seen doctor abbreviated without a period after it. Why would medical filing be done any differently then regular filing, tara. Otherwise no one who knows how to do proper filling could find anything. Sorry, I stand by. It is like the Dewey system standardized in libraries for many years. So everyone knew how to find a book.

Johnson, Dr. Louis J.

You asked and got an answer.

Ms tickle
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 08:30 AM

In legal filing if there is no punctuation after a middle initial there is no punctuation after the title (in this case, Doctor).

Honestly, though, I don't know that it matters but I managed a large law firm and that was the rule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this the correct punctuation for this sentence? [ 2 Answers ]

"this would be a lot easier if we could use a power saw, Pam" said. Is this the correct punctustion for this sentence?

Correct Alphabetical Filing [ 1 Answers ]

It would appear that filing is done according to what school you attended. :rolleyes: Is there a correct rule of thumb for alphabetical filing. We are filing business names like this: 3F Co A-1 D & J Electric Dannon DJ Electric S & S Salazar SS Malek

Correct Alphabatizing when filing [ 2 Answers ]

If one is filing a file by the company name of Don Hummer Trucking, which is a business, would on e file the under "D" or "H?" Thank you

Overpaid! How do I correct a tax filing? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a student from India and I filed my taxes on the last day. Since I was unaware of the Indian tax-exempt treaty of $5150, I did not mention it in the Itemized Deductions on my 1040NR-EZ and ended up paying much more tax than I ought to. How do I go about correcting my mistake to receive a much...

How to correct a wrong filing [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert One of my friends approached me with a problem, I wanted to get your opinion in this regard. He is an Indian citizen and has arrived into US in August 2005. This is his very first tax filing. He took someone's suggestion and went to a tax filing agency and filed his...

View more questions Search