Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melindaj2 Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 01:13 PM

TJ's transformers have ground wire but the power that is provided to the public does not and TJ does not have GFI' supplies? Would there be a workaround?
    Could I get them at say homedepot or any suggestions?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 04:14 PM

Yes, you should be able to get a GFI outlet at Home Depot. Looks like below and fits regular outlet box. Some come with cover plate, some do not. Cover plate is just a regular outlet cover plate with square opening. GFI installs almost like regular outlet.

Seeing as how close the outlet is to the shower it is important for your safety to install a GFI outlet. If you had a hair drier plugged in a regular outlet and it got wet because you did not close the shower curtain completely, you would get shocked. With the GFI outlet it would trip off as soon as you turned the hair dryer on, thus preventing you from getting shocked.
    Attached Images

Sep 16, 2009, 07:40 PM

You are great Harold!! Thank you so much. I will get a bunch of them and have him install them.

Today we took the day off and when walking all day at the park! :)
    Cheers!

Sep 16, 2009, 07:46 PM

GFI's are normally only used in certain places, kitchens, baths, outdoors. They can be used any where you like though.

Sep 19, 2009, 10:12 AM

UPDATE - I think today is the big day.. for now here is a picture of the tub and shower faucet installed not dried yet and still need a couple of things done but water does run.Name:  shower handle installed.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  shower head installed.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  20.5 KB
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 19, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Melinda,

You guys did a great job. A professional couldn't have done better. Give yourselves a pat on the back and take a two week vacation in Aruba. Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 12:43 PM

I agree, very nice job. Looks like all you need is the waste and overflow and your all set. And let us know how you enjoy Aruba. Lee.

Dec 4, 2009, 12:10 PM

Well, we are back at it. The dreaded moment was here and NO hot water. My husband placed the tile, and sealed everything before trying to see if there was hot water or not. Only cold water. He looked at the handle on wall and took that apart to see if it was allowing only cold water in and he said all was OK. Water pressure is OK. The sink next to it gets hot and cold water. I hope someone can help us out of this mess... I want to use my bathtub. :(
    I saw a link a while back about not getting any water and I can't find that link anymore.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 4, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Do you have "shut offs" for the water supply behind the wall directly for the shower? I know, sounds too easy, but it is common to forget about it. If so, check to make sure the hot water supply valve is on that supplies the shower. If not, post back.

Dec 4, 2009, 03:03 PM

No there no water supply shut offs directly behind for the shower. The unit has adjustable valves to regulate the pressure - the one on the right is cold water and cold water comes out fine. The one on the right you turn it all the way and a trickle of water comes out barely none.

Dec 4, 2009, 03:08 PM
    [attach]Name:  shower valve 002.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  63.1 KB[/attach]
    Attached Images

Dec 5, 2009, 04:39 AM
    I re-read your post. You said that your husband took off the handle of this faucet? "All is okay" with both hot and cold when he tried with the faucet handle/etc . Off? Does that mean he is getting both hot and cold water with the valve/faucet off? (If he hasn't done this, have him flush both lines. He should be able to disconnect at the valve and run both hot and cold).

If so, then it may be that when he put in the new faucet, crud got into that new faucet cart. (clean it out). Was the cart/handle put on correctly? (you are getting cold, but I have to ask).

Can you tell me the faucet brand? For now, have him clean out the new cartridge - just to be sure. When you make changes and/or install new faucets - sometimes it disturbes gunk the lines and it clogs up the new cartridge.

Dec 5, 2009, 05:58 AM

Probably have solder in stop valves from soldering up pipes. Turn off water to house, remove valve, turn on water for a few seconds to flush out pipe.
    Attached Images

Dec 5, 2009, 06:25 AM

Okay, I looked right passed the pic. Good Morning Harold! Good to know you are bright eyed and bushy tailed, and right on as usual. (smile)

Dec 6, 2009, 08:57 PM

Thank you so so much... and thank you for the picture.
    My husband did open the stop valves but only cold water (only the right one gushes water out) I guess after reading this to him he realize this was very much simple if he didn't seal the back... no he needs to take the back out so he can remove the valve. Again Thank you - my husband is on the right track again. I will let you know. Some previously mentioned (I think it was Harold) to make sure to test the shower before closing everything off and my husband forgot.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 10:27 PM

All should be accessible through this opening...

Question: when you unscrewed the hot water stop - and turned water ON - was there any water coming out ?

Dec 7, 2009, 05:30 AM

No need to remove the entire shower valve, just remove the stop valve.
    Attached Images

Dec 10, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Thank you Harold and thank you so much for the drawing. My husband did remove it AND there was water!! But not when he puts it back on. And if you didn't do the drawing he would have kept it a secrete. He had done this all a long. That is why he still reluctant to open the back.

Also, thank you Milo for bringing it up - my husband just forgot to mentioned that he already did this. I guess now, where do we go from here. My husband will try to blow air through and then let the water run and see what happens.

Dec 10, 2009, 03:30 PM

Well, my husband could not resist and is now taking down the wall. Can't stop him now. I will let you know what happens.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 10, 2009, 03:57 PM

Sorry to hear he is tearing out the wall. Did he remove the third unmentioned nut? The one on the right side (just left of the shut off). Its been a long time since I worked on one of these, but something tells me that this is your tempering valve, which could have become plugged. Try removing it and cleaning it if its not to late. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing Shower Arm [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower downstairs where a 6" shower arm comes out of a wall that was connected to a 90 degree threaded joint inside the wall. My roommate without my permission took out the 6" arm and installed an 'S' arm. She did a poor job (did not take out the old thread/puddy, didn't put in new pipe...

Installing a shower where a tub used to be? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone :), I am hoping I may be able to get some insight on a HUGE problem I have. My husband and I recently discovered that our wall in our bathtub has mold on it and was starting to cave in. This is the main large wall that is in between the two skinny walls in the bath tub (above the tub)...

Installing a tub/shower in a preexisting shower only [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having trouble installing a tub 60 inches in a 60 inch in length space. Is there a trick to getting it in this space? Thank you mike also it is extra deep tub does this make a difference??

Installing hand-held shower on fiberglass shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing onto a fiberglass shower a rain fall shower system that has a separate hand-held shower head. The two options to install are using a suction bracket or using the bracket with a screw. Can I drill into the fiberglass to use an anchor and screw? Thanks very much. Cheryl

Installing new shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower pan since there weren't any in my house built in 1985. I was reading various literature and it says before I put in my sloped concrete I need to put down a liner of roofing felt. Do I need to do that over concrete subfloor or just a wooden subfloor? Please help.

View more questions Search