Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robert Darling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 04:57 PM
    How to install Noma digital thermostat
    I bought a home with a new Carrier hi efficiency gas furnace but the old original White Rodgers theromstat. The original thermostat is the mercury switch type for both heat and cool and has 4 wires (Red, White, Green and Black). I tried to install a new Noma #52-2570-6 digital thermostat, which shows the 4 wire wiring scheme as G (Green), W(White), RH/RC (Red) and Y (Yellow). So I wired the existing control cable Green-G terminal, White-W terminal, Red-RH/RC terminals and Black wire-Y terminal. It does not work at all even for turning the Fan on manually or turning on the heat.

Any ideas?? :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 05:27 PM
    Go to the furnace, and see what the black is connected to. If it is not the Y terminal, disconnect it from the Y terminal at the thermostat. While you have the furnace open, check for a blown fuse inline to the transformer or on the control board. If the black was connected to the common or the transformer, and you connected it to the Y, and turned the thermostat to cool, you would have a direct short across the transformer output. You can use a black wire to control the A/C, but both ends need to be connected to a Y terminal.
    METT Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 08:53 PM
    If you still remember the where the 4 wires were connected to the White Roger thermostat, take note of the name of the terminals the 4 wires are connected to. That may help as sometime the colour of the wires are not always correct.

Or you really want to test it out:
    Connect RED wire to GREEN wire should turn on the fan
    Connect RED wire to WHITE wire should turn on the heat
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2006, 05:57 AM
    Did you disconnect the power at the furnace first? Maybe you blew a low voltage fuse.
    gabbie_brown Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Make sure you increase the heat setting to go above the room temperature.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Thermostat wire color codes explained.
    Please note. Not all installers use the proper color codes when they install or replace equipment. It may be necessary go go to the furnace or outdoor unit to verify what wires are for what purpose. Also be sure there are no splices in the wire that could change the wire colors between components.

R (red) or Rh (Red heat) 24 volts from equipment.
    Rc (Red cooling) 24 volts from transformer in cooling equipment.
    Note: If only furnace has a transformer and cooling equipment does not jumper Rc and Rh.
    W (White) sends 24 volts to furnace control to start the heating cycle.
    W2 (no standardized wire color, usually whatever wire color is available) controls second stage heat.
    Note: W2 is most often used for heat pumps to control what is called emegency heat or Auxiliary heat, and most often will use the white wire.
    Y (yellow) often (blue) is used, controls cooling unit (outdoor condensing unit) also is used for heat pump heat.
    Y2 (no standardized wire color, usually whatever wire color is available) controls second stage cooling.
    G (Green) controls the fan "on" operation of the furnace/air handler. Also often is used to start the blower for many electric furnaces.
    C (common) most often brown but can also be black or other color available to installer.
    O (orange) Energizes heat pump reversing valve for cooling (Trane and most other brands).
    B (Blue) Energizes heat pump reversing valve for heating (Rheem, Ruud and Weatherking).
    suetherm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 09:57 AM
    My thermostat randomly reprograms itself to 64.7oC
    The digital display is also VERY faint when I try to go through the PROG cycle. It is brighter when it is just on the current reading.

any ideas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing noma digital thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I am having difficulty replacing my old thermostat with a Noma brand programmable thermostat. The old thermostat - an old manual mercury type - is connected to 5 wires labelled on the circuit board as G, R, Y, W, and 4. it looks very much like the model shown on this website: ...

Noma thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a NOMA Programmable 7-Day Thermostat, but today it seems to have gone strange. I had it on the Cool and heat started coming out of the vents. I thought the air conditioning was broken, so I turned the thermostat off, but a little while later the vent came on with hot air again? How...

Noma programmable thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old carrier thermostat model q674j119 or t874g1790 for my oil furnace and heat pump. I tried to change this with Noma programmable thermostat model 52-2558-8 but everythings not working. This was the wiring for the original thermostat: O -> Orange R -> Red W2 -> White G -> Green C...

Noma thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I think this may be a typical problem with converting to a Noma programmable thermostat. I currently have a Sears model , 4 wire and a black wire (jumper?) going from RC to 4. There is also a disabled black wire coming from the wall but not connected to anything. Do I eliminate the black...

Noma Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two Noma non-programmable thermostats in my bedroom. On controls the heat and the other controls the AC. My question is, why are the displayed temperatures different on each thermostat? They are literally 2 inches apart and the indicated temp on one is 1.2 degrees higher than on...

View more questions Search