Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doc52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 04:52 PM
    BX (AC) cable
    My electrician just installed new wiring in my house. It is of the aluminum wrap type. The roughing in was done and the cable left hanging down in the cellar. It was laid between a water pipe and a painted 80+ year old poured concrete wall. In a period of about 2 months, there is a rotted 5 inch section where the cable was in contact with the pipe. This cable has not been hooked into the service box yet, so no electric has been present in the cable. It looks like severe electrolysis has occurred. How unsafe is this, and what are my options to correct this?
    Thanks, Jeff
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Electrolysis is exactly what has happened, the act of two dis-similar metals coming in contact with each other. This action dissolves metals.

The electric in the cable is irrelevant if it is on or off. Has no effect or cause on the action.

The only thing that is done to prevent this is to keep the two metals away from each other. If this is not possible and this is the only path the cable can run ,tehn consider using nonmetallic cable like Romex.

The cable does need to be replaced , or at least the damaged section is removed and replaced with a new section of cable spliced in between. And the entire cable must be away from the pipe.

This action of electrolysis is exactly why copper and aluminum wire cannot be spliced together without special connectors and treatment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Entrance Cable [ 4 Answers ]

I am putting in a new electric service in my house and wanted to know what size wire I need for a 200 amp service

SER Cable [ 1 Answers ]

Is SER cable (0,0,0,2) direct bury, or must it be in conduit?

Entrance cable [ 4 Answers ]

How do I cover the electrical service entrance cable attached to the side of my house? What do I use? The original covering has worn out in spots, exposing wires beneath. Also is this something a dummy can do?

Ethernet cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am on orange broadband and I need to connect the ethernet cable from my livebox into my computer ,however I donot have an ethernet socket on my computer so is there another way of doing this .

BX Cable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for cutting BX armored cable without buying a special tool? I just have to cut two wires to tap into the line but am a little afraid of damaging the wires inside. Thanks. Dave.

View more questions Search