Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joedadeo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Concrete patio with deck post footings in the middle
    I would like to know if it would be best to pour the concrete all at once,
    Or should I pour the footings,and then cover the footings with the slab.
    My thought on this is that if the footing settles it may have less chance of cracking the patio slab.As long as I isolate the anchor bolt from the slab.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 03:27 PM

Patios rarely have any footing or thickened edge. They flaot. What anchor bolt are you talking about, more details please. You can pour all at once and the cut preplanned crack line
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2009, 08:52 PM

The Skinny on the settling is weight is need. Pouring all at once or separately really isn't and issue here.

We dig down 18" for a frost footer for large patios and do what we call a monolith pour. However to do that really take turnbuckles and Dee Stakes to get that straight and right. The footer is way below the formed edge and that form needs built out far enough and away from the ditch to get enough ground to pound a stake in to set the forms elevation.

A 2x6 or 2x8 in certain areas made be needed because of slight grades differences. If so then holding back that thicker/heavy pressured from is tough with the right tools.

If you are needing a frost footer I would lay cement block and form off them

So getting back to bals question anchor bolts Where??
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 14, 2009, 10:17 AM

If I am correct, you want to have deck posts over part of your patio? Deck/Patio combo?

You want to know how to do this, with footings in place for those posts for the deck above while also taking into consideration the patio beneath ?

Please state if this is correct.
    joedadeo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    The Skinny on the settling is weight is need. Pouring all at once or separately really isn't and issue here.

We dig down 18" for a frost footer for large patios and do what we call a monolith pour. However to do that really take turnbuckles and Dee Stakes to get that straight and right. The footer is way below the formed edge and that form needs built out far enough and away from the ditch to get enough ground to pound a stake in to set the forms elevation.

A 2x6 or 2x8 in certain areas made be needed because of slight grades differences. If so then holding back that thicker/heavy pressured from is tough with the right tools.

If you are needing a frost footer I would lay cement block and form off of them

So getting back to bals question anchor bolts Where????

I do thank you for your in-put

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood deck over broken, uneven concrete patio [ 2 Answers ]

I have a broken and uneven concrete patio - I don't want to remove it - I want to cover it with a wood deck... it is fairly stable - can I just put in small posts and level it and use it as a base for the new patio ?

Building a deck over concrete patio [ 1 Answers ]

I am in process of building a deck over the top of and old concrete patio. I have just enough room to put girder against the concrete and then the joist on top of that. My question is, how do I fasten the gerder to the concrete? I was going to put a double girder in cause of the size of deck I am...

Wood Deck over Concrete Patio [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to build a deck over my concrete patio but the problem is I have only about 4 1/2 inches between between slab and top of concrete house slab. Therefore, I can only use 2x4s for supporting the low profile deck. All deck do it yourself books recommend a minimum 2x6 for deck joists. Is...

View more questions Search