Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    h2simon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Flywheel help on briggs/stratton 13hp snapper
    My threads are knackered on the end of my flywheel for the pull start is there any way to bodge it up even if it means welding a bolt on the top just to hold the flywheel on:confused:
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2006, 11:18 PM
    Unless you can get someone to clean them up and or try and re-thread it.. no... the flywheel has to be torqued down or you'll just shear flywheel keys every time you start it.

Oct 29, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Thanks for the info.
    I got it rethreaded and put a homemade key in ,it run for about 2 minutes then sheared the key, are homemade keys any good or do I need to get the real mcoys
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Go get oem.. not even aftermarkets are as good as oems...

Oct 30, 2006, 10:39 AM

Should the crankshaft fit flush with the flywheel ,mine has a big gap and I've tapped it down ,but it don't look right to me
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Yes it should...

Oct 31, 2006, 12:23 AM
    I've got a feeling this isn't the right flywheel for this engine ,because there's no way it will go down another half inch
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2006, 01:12 AM
    Wow, half a inch... (never saw the pic before, just looking at it) Did you maybe just get this engine from someone else? They might have tried to use this flywheel on it.

Nov 1, 2006, 01:50 PM
    Thanks for all your info
    I've decided to do what I should have done in the first place ,put my good running 10hp in the mower and chuck this 13 hp out
    A few more questons though I've got my 10hp in now and the bottom pully was slightly bigger on this engine than the 13 one will this be OK and also why is it when I electric start at first its really slow to wind over but then finds is life and winds over quick ?
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Slightly bigger is fine (it'll just run the blades a little slower)
    The starting deal could be a weak battery, or the engine was on the compression stroke when it starts (which they usually stop on the compression stroke)

Nov 1, 2006, 04:19 PM
    One more for you what is the black and red wire for that bolts on near the throttle linkage ,om my 10hp snapper I only had the black on there but on this 13 hp snapper it was black and red
    What is recommende oil amount for the 10hp engine
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 06:39 PM
    The only wire that should be on that side is the kill wire... (unless the engine has a fuel solenoid, then it will have a red and black wire going to that.)

Oil recommendations are...
    HD-30 weight above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. (I wouldn't use it below 50 though)
    5w-30, or 10w-30 below 40...
    OR 5w-30, or 10w-30 all year round (summer through winter)
    Change every 25 hours.

I recommend either using 5w-30 or 10w-30 synthetic all year round...
    Or 5w-30 conventional in the winter, and 15w-40 conventional in the summer if you don't want synthetic. (may also use 5w-40 instead of 5w-30) these engines do great on 5w-30/10w-30 synthetic all year round, or 15w-40 in the summer, 5w-30 in the winter.
    You can see, 15w-40 will be a diesel rated oil... fine to use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

13hp briggs and stratton [ 3 Answers ]

Help needed please I have a hayter ride on mower with a 13 briggs stratton engine .it will run OK without the air filter and breather pipe connected but as soon as I refit the air filter ,plug rubber breather pipe in place and then it won't start .if I put my thumb in the breather it won't run .I...

10 hp briggs and stratton [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what the intake and exhaust valve setting for a briggs and stratton generator. Thank you :(

Briggs and Stratton 10 hp [ 1 Answers ]

Can some one help me I need to know what valve setting to set on my briggs stratton generator. Thank you for you help

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

View more questions Search