Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pw81660 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 09:57 AM
    2x4 cathedral ceiling, increasing width and bracing
    Hello,
    I have a room in my house that was changed to a cathedral ceiling that needs to insulated better. The contractor who did the work cut the truss from the interior wall to the exterior wall of the house. He placed 2X4's up from the interior wall to the top board of the truss for support my questions are 1) Can the width of the 2X4 on the roof be increased so that a higher R vaule cen be used (Live in Northern Ohio), 2) Should new bracing be applied to where the truss now meet the exterior wall? 3) Should headers be placed at the closet and the door (covered by plastic) openings? The distance from the interior to the exterior wall is 8' 5". I would like to put up a pine wood ceiling in this room and have already removed the drywall.
    Thanks,
    Jon
    Attached Images

Check out some similar questions!

What do I shop for to get ceiling light on cathedral ceiling straight down? [ 11 Answers ]

I have a cathedral ceiling in a modualr home. Cheap ceiling fixtures I want to replace. Primarily, I dislike how the fixture is angled onto the cathedral ceiling. Are there fixtures that mount with the base onto the cathedral ceiling angle but then the part that hold the lightbulb can pivot so that...

Hanging ceiling fan on cathedral ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

How do you best hang a ceiling fan on a cathedral or valted ceiling. Are the kits available to box in the wires or to create a flat surface to hang fan?

Insulating cathedral ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

Ihave cathedral ceilings and need to insulate them. How much air space do I need to leave so I won't rot the plywood for my roof Kathy

Cathedral ceiling lighting [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to illuminate a room with 20' ceilings?

Cathedral ceiling insulation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm building a cabin in the woods up here in Alaska. This is my first time building something out of wood besides a tree fort. I'm a welder. Anyway my cabin dimension is 16' wide by 24' long with 10' walls. The roof pitch is 12x12 (heavy snow load). I built the roof with the idea of...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.