Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MiamiPrep Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 05:59 AM
    Can health insurance be cancelled yrs later (Florida) if I omitted facts on applicatn
    I have had health insurance with Blue Cross of Florida for 5 years. If I omitted facts on the initial application, can this policy be cancelled even after 5 years? I thought I was protected by ERISA regulations after 2 years, but lawyer friend told me this may not be so.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2009, 10:23 AM

Since you said you filled out an application, I can conclude this is a privately purchased policy not a group plan through your employer, right? In that case ERISA law doesn't cover this situation.

Are you saying they are cancelling your policy or are you just worried that your dishonesty may come back to bite you? Normally the period of incontestability is 2 years.

Sep 13, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    Since you said you filled out an application, I can conclude this is a privately purchased policy not a group plan through your employer, right? In that case ERISA law doesn't cover this situation.

Are you saying they are cancelling your policy or are you just worried that your dishonesty may come back to bite you?? Normally the period of incontestability is 2 years.
    Correct: privately purchased individual policy (high-deductible MSA).
    I am not canceling, just worried that dishonesty could bite me at some point in future. I am healthy, and only used insurance once 2 years ago for routine colonoscopy & labwork (covered, less deductible). Otherwise, don't ever use insurance.

But was treated 8 years ago for a year with chemotherapy-like regimen for Hepatitis C (cured now). And treated for chemical dependency 25 years ago (in remission 25 yrs, attend AA). And did not disclose this on application.

Thanks for quick answer.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiPrep View Post
    I have had health insurance with Blue Cross of Florida for 5 years. If I omitted facts on the initial application, can this policy be cancelled even after 5 years?
    Hello M:

Yes.

excon
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2009, 08:19 AM

You're welcome. You should be fine since the period of contestability has long passed. I was just under the impression that you'd gotten a letter saying they would be cancelling you. Also, they were probably privy to the misrepresentation in your application because there is a Board that allows insurers to fact-check. They may not catch every single thing, so that's why they allow the 2 year time frame to contest your application in the even you omit important info.

Congrats on being sober; keep up the good work.

Oct 4, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    Also, they were probably privy to the misrepresentation in your application because there is a Board that allows insurers to fact-check. They may not catch every single thing, so that's why they allow the 2 year time frame to contest your application in the even you omit important info.

Congrats on being sober; keep up the good work.
    Well, I actually checked my MIB report twice past 10 years or so and shows nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health [ 5 Answers ]

Next month, I will be landing in Texas as a new immigrant on my Green Card (female aged 55 years - not working). I have diabetese which is well controlled bu insulin and am otherwise in good health. Which companies would provide me a health insurance cover, even if they put a waiting period for the...

Florida Child Support - Health Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I am a non-custodial parent that is ordered to provide health insurance and pay 75% of medical expenses for my two boys. My X has refused to properly return documents to the insurance company so that claims can be paid. I am now required to pay 75% of $6000.00 of medical expenses because the...

Health Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

How can health insurance be made effective?

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

My doctor's office will not release a claim to me with all the necessary information such as the diagnosis code and service code (cpt) because of HIPAA ? I have a self insured plan, the doctor is non-par and will not bill it, and I am trying to get myself paid. How can I get this information ? And...

No Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is 25 and has cancer. She doesn't have any health insurance. Are there programs that can help get her medical attention.

View more questions Search