Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neilscott Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2006, 01:01 PM
    Outlook Express sending multiple copies
    For the past 3 days I have had problems with Outlook Express. When I send an email or respond to an email, it goes out (I can see the Nortan scanning window) and then automatically goes into my outbox and every time I check mail, it sends it out again and again and again. A friend told me that she got 42 copies of one of my emails.

Althoug the email goes out (repeatedly) it never shows up in the SENT mail box.

I have had to go itno the Outbox after each email and delete the smeil or move it to Drafts. It won't even allow me to drag it to sent mail.

Neil
    prairiegirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 08:18 PM
    Try this, it worked for me.
    On your OE got to Tools>accounts>mailtab>double click the account name>advanced tab
    Uncheck the box marked "Break apart messages....."

Hope this helps.

Nov 18, 2006, 09:05 PM
    I tried making that change and breaking apart the messages. Still no luck! Thanks for your suggestion, however.

This is a weird problem.

Neil
    prairiegirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Sounds like your computer has a mind of its own. You said you were running Norton so that should have picked up any viruses I hope.
    Still, check out http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp
    There is a free online virus and spyware scan that might pick something up.
    PG

Nov 19, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Mind of its own, indeed. I have tried the those scan and spyware detection programs and still with the same result. I am going to delete my Norton program and reinstall to see if that works. Meanwhile, I have to keep remembering to manually delete each email I send. I forgot yesterday and sent a friend of mine 76 copies of the same email. He called me on the phone and said, "I know that the email you sent was important and you wanted me to respond ASAP, but did you really have to keep reminding me every 3 minutes?" Ah, technology!
    daniel20441 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 08:59 AM
    I am having the Same problem as NeilScott. Don't feel bad! I was just directed here from another OE forum, and have tried compacting files and doing what PG mentioned above. If you have any other suggestions for this pproblem, let us know. NeilS, I useCharter for my broadband ISP... what are you using?

Nov 28, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Welcome to computer hell, Daniel! Ground Hog day, etc. NO ONE seems to be able to figure this out. So --- I have to pay close attention when I send email, so that I immediately go to my outbox and delete what I just sent, otherwise, it's repeat city! I am still searching other sources and if I come up with something, I'll let you know.

Nov 28, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Thanks NS (hope I can call you that!), but keep me in mind, and informed. We are in the same BOAT. By the way, who is your internet provider? Mine is Charter. Also, have you tried to uninstall & reinstall OE? I am afraid to... I have a ton of emails & addresses I'd hate to lose!

Nov 28, 2006, 10:40 AM
    My provider is Comcast. I'm pretty certain that has nothing to do with the problem. I can go to their webmail site and send and retrieve without a problem. I have not reinstalled OE for the same reason: I can't afford to lose email or addresses. Are you using Norton email scanning?

Nov 30, 2006, 07:59 PM
    Yes, I use Norton... but even though I unchecked the box saying to scan outgoing messages, the problem is still happening... this is getting frustrationg!

Nov 30, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Also for NeilScott!
    ... but I did download a trial version of ScanDBX and the trial version only lets you know of problems it finds. The full version finds AND repairs. So after I did a scan, here is my report card:
    FOUND:
    #1.NETWORK CONNECTION TESTER: Some network connections could not be completed (due to my Norton, or so I assumed)
    #2.EMAIL ACCOUNT SCANNER: ScanDBX has detected 3 errors in your email accounts (?? huh?? )
    #3.MAIL STORE FILE SIZE TESTER: Warning, some of your OE mail store files are near the size limit.

I then cancelled the rest of the scan due to it SLOWLY doing it's thing.. . But if anyone has feedback.. .

Dec 1, 2006, 05:31 PM
    OK, Daniel.. . I have SOLVED the problem! At least my problem and hopefully yours.

Last night my OE started sending 17 copies of everything. It went freaking nuts on me. So I had to make this a top priority. After removing all the Norton stuff today (which I now have to reload) it still did the same thing.

So, here is what I did:

I created a new mail box called "OLD Sent"

Then I went into my Sent box and since I have 3 years worth of sent email there, I highlighted 2006 sent emails and draged them into the OLD Sent folder. Then I did the same for 2005 and 2004. That freed up space in my regular SENT mailbox. And BINGO, problem solved!

The problem was (for me) my Sent Box was maxed out and would not take any more copies, sending all the outgoing mail to the Outbox, where it kept recycling. Does that make sense?
    I hope it does!

Neil

Dec 1, 2006, 06:43 PM
    ... and need help. When I do this, I go to TOOLS>ACCOUNTS>MAIL TAB.
    In MAIL TAB, it reads "mail.danscartoons.com" , I assume this is my identity? Now, I have logged into my email overseas when checking my messages and have used this name in the past.
    Since I have decided to create a new identity, can anyone provide me with the simplest steps or how they would do this? Also, I already created a folder to EXPORT my IAF emails to but am curious as to what I should do next. This is very nerve racking!

Dec 1, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Disregard my last post NS! I just see you solved yours... let me try your approach first!. I'll email if I have questions... thanks!
    sphinxgr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 09:49 AM
    neilscott - U are the best!! This solved my problem 2. I renamed the file items (which was 2GB - The top size outlook express mail folder can handle) and everything is OK NOW. I searced all over internet a lot of times and only u had the right answer. Neither Microsoft did not. I am very happy now because of u...

Kostas - Greece
    sphinxgr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 09:50 AM
    For the history I had WIN XP SP2 and outlook express 6.00.2900.2180 ver
    HappyFace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Comment on prairiegirl's post
    It may not have helped him but It sure did it for me. My new Outlook Express aparently loaded with that boxed checked and was sending multiple unopenable photos when using the insert function
    DOCTORSOCCER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neilscott
    For the past 3 days I have had problems with Outlook Express. When I send an email or respond to an email, it goes out (I can see the Nortan scanning window) and then automatically goes into my outbox and every time I check mail, it sends it out again and again and again. A friend told me that she got 42 copies of one of my emails.

Althoug the email goes out (repeatedly) it never shows up in the SENT mail box.

I have had to go itno the Outbox after each email and delete the smeil or move it to Drafts. It won't even allow me to drag it to sent mail.

Neil
    This is not an answer, but a reply. We have the same problem on one of our computers at work. Norton says not their problem, ISP says not theirs either. Yesterday, it sent 280 emails (the same one) to one person because the sender forgot to dump it from her outbox. You should, however, turn off all outgoing email scanning, regardless of whose it is, that is, Norton, McAfee, etc. We deleted the outbox.dbx file which gets recreated when you close and then open outlook again, but that does not work either. Don't want to call Microsoft because they want the credit card number first before they will talk to you... and speaking so someone in India is not what we want to do, especially for the arm and leg they charge.
    mobergta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
    I also use Charter. I've tried everything listed previously except a reload. I did save all my .dbx files and address book in a backup file, preparatory to a possible reload. To find your .dbx files, make sure your hidden files are not hidden (click in Search box), then copy them into a backup file
    LGreen191 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Neil, thanks so much. I was having this exact problem, tried your solution, and it worked. I'm now a new member to this site. Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by neilscott
    OK, Daniel . . . . I have SOLVED the problem!! At least my problem and hopefully yours.

Last night my OE started sending 17 copies of everything. It went freaking nuts on me. So I had to make this a top priority. After removing all the Norton stuff today (which I now have to reload) it still did the same thing.

So, here is what I did:

I created a new mail box called "OLD Sent"

Then I went into my Sent box and since I have 3 years worth of sent email there, I highlighted 2006 sent emails and draged them into the OLD Sent folder. Then I did the same for 2005 and 2004. That freed up space in my regular SENT mailbox. And BINGO, problem solved!

The problem was (for me) my Sent Box was maxed out and would not take any more copies, sending all the outgoing mail to the Outbox, where it kept recycling. Does that make sense?
    I hope it does!

Neil

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running XP on my home computer. Since one of my sons "tweaked something" I can see messages (properties show full message is there) in the in box but the preview pane is empty. Similarly if you open the message the main message box is empty. If you print the e mail it shows attachments present...

Outlook Express [ 6 Answers ]

I am using Windows 98 Second Edition and using Outlook Express for I mail. Tonight my e-mail did not download and I got the following error message. Just would like to know if someone can tell me what the message means and how to remedy the problem. The eroor message is; "Your server has...

Outlook Express problem sending videos [ 9 Answers ]

Is there any way to send short videos (only a minute or two, often less than a minute) on email? When I've tried it doesn't go through - I don't know if it's a problem with my computer (Toshiba laptop running Window XP Pro, WI-Fi using a D-Link router), with Outlook Express, or with my ISP (Shaw).

Multiple Outlook Express Programs [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! I have 2 domains and would like to have Outlook Express set up separately - not just 2 accounts within one Outlook Express. Can this be done - and HOW? :o

Outlook Express [ 2 Answers ]

Many times when I receive an email containing pictures (not as attachments), I only can see a square box with a red X in it. Is there a way to correct this problem? It does not happen all the time.

View more questions Search