Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brittanymommy08 Posts: 183, Reputation: 5

Sep 11, 2009, 08:56 PM
    31 weeks and baby not moving.

Hey! Thanks for reading.
    I'm 31 weeks and my baby hasn't moved since about lunch today. And that's not him. He is always moving. This is my second pregnancy. I have pre term labor three times already. The doctors say I have dropped. I have a history of pre term labor. I just want to know what you thought.

I'm really worried.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 09:23 PM
    I would suggest contacting your doctor and asking him if you are unsure if you are in/going into labor. When he told you that the baby had dropped, did he give you any other information? Did he tell you anything about what you should do if you think you might be going into pre-term labor again?

It does sound like Jr has a schedule of his own.

Most importantly try to stay calm.

Sep 11, 2009, 09:43 PM

Thanks for replying. They have me on some meds. To keep me from contracting. I take it every fours that I am awake. It feels like I have some much pressure down there that I can barely walk at times. And I have a ten month old to keep up with.
    Marriage Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 09:59 PM
    I'd call my doctor and tell him what's going on. He may end up having you go to the hospital to make sure that Jr isn't trying to come on his own without contractions.

Just remembering that with my son, the contractions started as pressure in the lower abdomen and bladder area.

Good luck.

Sep 11, 2009, 10:02 PM
    Thank you!
    It just takes them so long to call back.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Sep 11, 2009, 10:22 PM

Definitely contact the Dr. Sounds like the pressure and uneasy walking is the baby dropping into that get ready position. Please take care and good luck to you. Come back and tell us how things go. Congratulations.
    Marriage Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brittanymommy08 View Post
    thank you!
    it just takes them so long to call back.
    And we're quicker? :(

You're welcome and I hope all goes well. :)

Sep 12, 2009, 05:05 AM

Thanks for evryone rplying.
    He moved a little this morning, but not much
    The pressure getting worst, they told me to relax, and take a pain pill. But so far that hasn't worked. I think by tonight if it hasn't clam down I'm going into labor and deliever to make sure everything okay? He has really slowed down in the last 24 hours. I'm just worried. And want everything with my litle boy. I have a little girl who ten months old and this is my first little boy. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brittanymommy08 View Post
    . I think by tonight if it hasn't clam down I'm going into labor and deliever jus to make sure everything okay?
    Hun, how are you going to go into labor?

At 31 weeks the baby is not ready to be born yet. The lungs aren't fully developed and you run the risk of some very serious and dangerous problems if you deliver now.

Babies have sleep cycles. Many times we don't notice movement if we are moving around, or we notice less movement. I suggest you try some ice cold orange juice, or a coca cola... drink real fast, then go lay down for about an hour.

Have you tried kick counts?

This is resting in a darkened, quiet room in a very comfortable position. Count not only kicks, but swishes and rolls as well. The ideal number of kicks/swishes/rolls is about 10 movements in a 2 hour period.
    Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Brittany, I am very curious to know how you are going to go into labor and deliver this evening. Anything you do at home could put you and/your baby at risk.

Please understand that I am a labor and delivery nurse. If you lived in my area I might deliver your baby, so I know what I am talking about and I can help you here. Please don't try to do anything to make yourself go into labor. Doctors will not induce a woman who is 31 weeks gestation.

Sep 12, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Yes, I know that. It's not that I'm trying to have him.
    I know the factors, I have been laying around. My
    Husband is doing everything cleaning house and working.
    Taking care of my ten month old. They have given me the
    Shot for his lungs. I go once a week for a shot. I'm unsure
    What it called. I am taking Procardia 10 mg every four hours
    That I am awake, Mylan 500mg twice a day, and for pain I am
    Taking Vicodin7.5 tab. I just want a healthy child. I had my little
    Girl at 33 weeks. And I had pre term labor with her twice. And with
    Him I've in labor three times. I have started to dialate. Please don't
    Think I want him to come now. I know he will have a lot of problems if he
    Does.
    Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Brittany, THAnK you for coming back...

The shot... Betamethasone. Still does not guarantee that his lungs will be fully developed. It's just a safeguard just in case he comes early.

Please, I am curious to know how you plan on going into labor tonight.

Just because you had a preterm baby that turned out okay doesn't mean that they all do. Your chances are slim to have 2 preterm babies in a row that are okay.

It's okay to dilate this early. It isn't a problem. It's a good thing. It certainly doesn't mean you are IN labor, just that your body is preparing.

I am thinking you want him to come now because of what you said above... that you were going to go into labor and deliver tonight. Any certified doctor I work with, that is NOT a quack, would stop your labor tonight.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Sep 12, 2009, 07:03 AM

Is it possible that sh meant that she was going to go into labor and delivery tonight (meaning the hospital department) to check and have everything monitored by the Dr. Not that her plan is to go into labor and deliver him tonight? Just a question.
    Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Yes, that is a very good possibility, and I HoPE that's what she meant.

Sep 12, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Oh, I was just most likely going to make sure
    Everything okay. I can barely walk there's so much pressure there
    And he moving a lot less then he was a day ago. I wasn't meaning
    I was going to have him by no means.

Can you explain the pressure I'm feeling. Nothing working to get it to slow down.
    I lay on my left side then my right and my back. I'm just trying to get were there is
    Some comfort.

My kids are my life I don't want anything wrong by no means. I don't really need
    Him to come one I'm not ready and two he's not ready.

Please I'm just looking for advice.
    Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 07:37 AM
    The pressure, if it's particularly in your lower abdomen is called round ligament pain. Think of your growing uterus and cervix and vaginal canal shaped like a lightbulb. Then you have ligaments that support your uterus. Right now they are being stretched like rubber bands. Stretching too far causes pain.

You are nearing the end of your second pregnancy. You are going to feel more discomfort than you did with your first pregnancy.

Warm baths and tylenol every 4 hours for at least 12 hours is usually recommended. Realize please that this discomfort is not going to go away until the baby is born. You can just help ease the pain with the warm soaks and meds.

The decrease in fetal movement is also common. Did you read what I posted about kick counts? Very informative. If you feel 10 movements of any kind in a 2 hour period you are okay.

Sep 12, 2009, 07:44 AM

Okay, yeah on the movement, so far today I can feel he only move about five times since 730 am. And it almost 11. Thanks for the advice.
    Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 07:46 AM
    Were you laying down and resting all this time?

It's important to be resting when doing kick counts. Remember to take sleep cycles into account. Babies sleep inside the womb as well as outside.

Sep 12, 2009, 07:48 AM

Yeah, I was. Maybe as the day goes on he will get to kicking, if I have anymore questions can I ask you instead of doing a new thread?
    Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Please ask here. Have you tried orange juice? That usually hypes a baby up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby is 4`1/2 weeks in growth and I thought I was 6 weeks [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new wife of 6 months with an amazing husband... we recently in August had a miscarriage and now became pregnant again... here's the thing... My last period was on dec 22nd and I am NOT regular.. between 32-39 day cycles... I had an ultra sound today and it said my baby was only about...

5 weeks pregnant and he wants the baby [ 4 Answers ]

What it is I am 5 weeks pregnant with a bloke and he wants to take me to court for full custordy of my child! Which I find very sick as I have 2 children already.. has he any rights because he has apperently spoke to his solicitors and social care and seems very sure he will get the baby... even...

37 weeks, baby not yet dropped [ 1 Answers ]

I am 37 weeks pregnant. My baby has not yet dropped down. In fact her favorite position is just under my right rib cage. Any idea when the big "drop" will happen? Or what can I do to help my baby drop and engage? Just so you know, I suffered from extreme vomiting throughout my pregnancy... even...

I lost my dad 2 weeks before having my baby [ 2 Answers ]

I was told after 3 years of trying for a baby that I had only a 1% chance of ever having children due to medical problems. I was deverstated as I always wanted children, as was my husband. The one person who was there for both of us was my dad. He and my mum had been divorced since I was 6 but I...

28 weeks pregnant, baby not moving lot than used to be? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey, Its been a long time since I check on this website and the last question was my mornnig sickness in Sept.. This Sat, I will be 28 weeks and guess what, my morning sickness has stopped since 16th weeks of pregnant.. thank god for that!! When I was morning sickness, I lost 11 lbs. And now I...

View more questions Search