Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 04:31 PM
    An offer via the internet
    I got an offer,but it does not involve money transaction of any kind.

Someone wants to use a photograph I had taken, this person sent a message asking permission to use my photograph along with a document he plans to present (maybe further his career) to sell his idea.

He asked permission to use it and that I will be acknowledged as owner of said photo.

What do I do? I am not looking for recognition or money from my photos, but I have replied asking for more information regarding this document and more on his work.
    He did give a name and country but it seems that name is quite common in that region.

Should I be asking more questions? What would be a risk here if I were to say yes?

Thanks in advance.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    I got an offer,but it does not involve money transaction of any kind.

Someone wants to use a photograph I had taken, this person sent a message asking permission to use my photograph along with a document he plans to present (maybe further his career) to sell his idea.

He asked permission to use it and that I will be acknowledged as owner of said photo.

What do I do? I am not looking for recognition or money from my photos, but I have replied asking for more information regarding this document and more on his work.
    He did give a name and country but it seems that name is quite common in that region.

Should I be asking more questions? What would be a risk here if I were to say yes?

Thanks in advance.
    If you don't want anything for the photo then tell the person it belongs to the public domain and it is royalty free. It sounds like a fishing scam to get your information and perform ID fraud.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 06:58 PM

He did not ask any information about me,not yet anyway.

And I had not put up personal information where he saw the photo either.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 07:03 PM
    He did not ask any information about me,not yet anyway.

And I had not put up personal information where he saw the photo either.
    That may be true at this point but when they ask you to sign a " release " so they can use the photo or to give you credit for it that's when they are going to ask who you are.

I think you can see where Im going with this. If its legit and you don't mind it going places then call it public domain royalty free. Otherwise your going to asked to sign a release form for its use.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 07:06 PM

Right, thanks.

If I did not want to be given recognition,will I still have to sign a release?
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Right, thanks.

If I did not want to be given recognition,will I still have to sign a release?
    You might because of the royalty issues. What you have falls under 2 categories.

1) Art
    2) intellectual property

Both have value in the open market. The problem comes in when you give your whole name to someone and through the emails they can see your I.P. address. From there they know what region you live in and then put that with the name etc. It builds like a pyrimid of information and then one day you have identity theft. Or they use your name as a reference for other means. I have no way of knowing. Its just you asked so Im putting it out there for your thoughts. Always be aware.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the input.

I did ask because I am wary of internet offers of any kind.Will let you know if he replies to the message I sent in reply to his request.

Another thing which made me wary is that the photo he requested can be seen by the public and it can be copied exactly very easily by anyone with a camera and even photoshopped to create a better effect than mine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet explorer will not stay loaded and I can not download anything from internet [ 6 Answers ]

My computer did some updates a couple days ago and since then internet explorer will not stay up it closes down. I cannot download anything to find out what is wrong. Any suggestions? Please help. Thank you

Videos won't play on internet or show photos on psp internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with my psp not showing videos or photos on the internet, can someone please tell me why?:o

About a job offer [ 4 Answers ]

I got a job offer from a company named moon group inc. sounds like a good job, but is this a real company? I'm a little worried just because it's dealing with my personal accounts and don't trust much over the net.:confused:

How do I check a company or Internet Site with the Internet Better Business Bureau? [ 1 Answers ]

I sometimes find a company or Internet Website, that has not certificate etc. How do I check them out with the BBB for the Internet?

View more questions Search