Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SingingMonkey Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 09:14 AM
    How does one become a musician?
    Hello,

I have great love for music and I believe I have a strong talent and good ear. I have bought a piano and a guitar, and I've learned to read 8 octaves sight reading in just about a month, but only at 40bpm, but I'm sure it will get better with time.

I am currently at age 22, I have studied at university but never finished a degree, but have considerable experience in entrepreneurship and programming (software/websites) and work as a general manager for a small IT company.

I want to give up everything and focus on music. People tell me I have a good singing voice.

But what are the dangers? What kind of salary can I expect? How do I get jobs? What should I do to learn the skills necessary, and what skills should I acquire?

I think it would be nice to play piano in hotels, cruise ships, gigs etc. as a start and then progress to albums and concerts. Ideas? I love jazz, rnb, blues and swing (frank sinatra style).
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 09:10 PM
    Hi, SingingMonkey!

Part of what I do to make a living is that I'm a professional musician. As such, I would greatly like to discuss with you the desires that you have to be one.

I also would like to know what you mean by the following:

I've learned to read 8 octaves sight reading in just about a month, but only at 40bpm, but I'm sure it will get better with time.
    Being a musician and making a living at it, is never an easy road to take...

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2009, 09:47 PM

Hi Clough,

What I meant was just that I've started to study the full range on the piano, including 8va etc. but I find it really difficult to find good resources on how to read these advanced symbols. Is there any ebook or online resource that explains everything related to sight-reading step-by-step?

Even though I'm a beginner, I try to play more advanced pieces like Cole Porter - Anything Goes... it helps me to learn new positions, advanced chords etc.

Just how do you suppose we discuss it? If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it. Maybe you can tell me how you got into your current position, and what you would have done differently?

I'm sure other people would also find it interesting as reference... that's how I found this forum, when you replied to an 18-year old guy who wanted to be an enterainer, and I was looking for advice on becoming an entertainer :-)

Thanks for your time!
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 11:35 PM
    Hi again, SingingMonkey!

I got into music because I was "drawn" to it. It was a very natural thing for me to do.

I've always seemed to have a predisposition or so-called "talent" for doing things that are musical.

Is it that way for you, too?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 11:55 PM
    I can see that you're offline at this site now, SingingMonkey.

I would love to discuss with you the ins and outs of being a musician as well as how to get started doing it.

I have to go to bed now so that I can be ready to play for church in the morning. I've been doing that since I was 14 years old. I'm 52 now.

I also play a number of instruments, sing, been in about 50 shows on stage as an actor or in the orchestra pit as a musician, played in big bands and chamber groups, have taught music for years in schools and privately, and directed many groups.

I'll look forward to further dialogue with you at another time. I'm usually on here late at night.

Later...

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2009, 01:25 AM

Hi Clough,

Sounds great :-) If you had to summarize your career and experiences, what would you say is the do's and don'ts for an aspiring musician? What are the key things that one should focus on (repetoire, formal education, practice, networking with other musicians etc.)
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 02:05 AM
    Hi again, SingingMonkey!

I just now noticed your post here. I'll get back to you after I've had some sleep so that I can think straight, again!

Thanks!
    osbornesenar123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 01:03 PM

Well if you want to learn how to become a musician try this link. How to Become a Musician | Musicouch
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 28, 2009, 07:30 PM

Hi,
    Love your story! I wish you much success. I don't have any experience here but I'll cheer you on! Come back and tell us what you are up to. I found a vid for you. Enjoy!

Click Here: YouTube - Music Career: Becoming a Professional Musician :)

PS- I have a soft spot for piano jazz.
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Are you still around, SingingMonkey?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Struggling musician! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, Im a singer living in West Palm Beach and I have written tons of songs and lyrics and really want to get in the studio, make some demos and get out there. Would anyone know about the first steps to getting that done? Or even suggest the right kind of studios to look into?

Musician no one knows about [ 3 Answers ]

I make music. I play it, record it, and produce it myself on my little laptop (with the help of garageband). Of course they be my friends and family, but everyone who has listened to my music has only given me compliments galore. They tell me to get my music out there, that I could be somebody,...

Name of Country Musician [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name of the blind country singer who sang a song called "Love and War"? He would have been in the era with Johnny Paycheck, Ray Charles, Glen Campbell? Thanks for your input.

Musician boyfriend [ 29 Answers ]

Hello, my boyfriend is a musician and I am seriously considering leaving him because of his job, I am not sure if my decision is rational, I have a self esteem problem which, I have eating disorder which I am getting help for but I still feel very vulnerable and I can not stand the environment I...

African-american musician [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a blind black musician who recorded probably during the 20s through 30s.The story is he was blinded by his mother possibly with lye,I think he was a blues singer who played a guitar.I tried goggle but I don't have a enough information. Thanks for any information...

View more questions Search