Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Confused2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 08:03 AM
    What documentation does our company have to provide from employees we are suing?
    Good Morning! We are in the process of suing a company for their employees intentional sabotage of our business by "improperly and negligently set the controls on Plaintiffs ... machines so as to cause the wrong washing materials and the wrong quantity thereof to be into Plaintiffs ... machines." Now they have sent a First set of requests for production and first set of interrogatories. We understand that they do not have copies of any of their service reports, invoices, or emails as prior to us suing them they requested copies of all our documents and we did not give them to them because they were trying to bill us.

In the request for production they want copies of: every document identified in our Rule, all photos, all statements, all work orders and billing statements from this company, invoices showing purchase of equipment, contracts with customers, evidence showing money paid to this company, documents that we intend to offer as exhibits, tax return, invoices to customers, letters to customers, each contract with customers, copy of lease.

Do we have to provide this information to them? Why would we give them copies of our documentation when we know they don't have any? Wouldn't that be like giving the other team your list of plays so they can prepare their defense against you?

Thank you for your time and expertise.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 06:25 PM

Since you have no idea about how the courts work or what happens during a lawsuit, you are at a loss of course. This request for production is quite normal and quite legal for them to ask to see just what you have document wise whether it be paperwork, pictures, phone records, etc. You need to give them copies of every document you intend to introduce during trial or when this case does get to trial you will not be able to introduce this paperwork having not previously discosed it to the Defendant prior to trial.

And yes, they are permitted to defend themselves against whatever documentation you have. How else would they do it?

How are you going to go about proving that they set the machines incorrectly? What is your proof? How are you going to persuade the Judge to rule in your favor if you have nothing to prove this?

I am surprised that you are trying to sue another company and don't have an attorney handling this for your company. Usually if it is anything other than small claims court the Judge will not let you represent your company but insist on professional representation.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Confused2006 View Post
    Do we have to provide this information to them? Why would we give them copies of our documentation when we know they don't have any? Wouldn't that be like giving the other team your list of plays so they can prepare their defense against you?
    That's generally the idea of discovery.

There are of course theories upon a motion for a protective order can be based, but you need your attorney to put together such a motion; you can't just ignore it.
    bettyochuru Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2011, 02:30 PM
    I need to know the correct way to respond to the following request to productin of documents:
    Defendant's attorney is requesting the photographs of the vehicles involved in the accident. Unfortunately, our client does not have them at the present time.

Also, they are requesting photographys of the scene of the accident, which our does not have at the present time.

Therefore, can you help me how to respond the correct legal way?

Betty
    bettyochuru Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2011, 02:31 PM
    So how should I respond to it?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bettyochuru View Post
    ... Unfortunately, our client does not have them at the present time. ...
    Your client? Obviously you are not a lawfirm. So what sort of role does your company perform?

Be careful. It appears that you may be engaged in the unauthorized practice of law, which is prohibited.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suing company for an employees threatening remarks [ 2 Answers ]

I quit my job 6 months ago, Dec 18th 2009 due to the stress that I endured from being harassed by an employee. I was constantly belittled, threatened and talked about. She would call me many names behind my back and to other people in a way that I could here everything around the corner of my...

Suing an insurance company [ 2 Answers ]

I was involved in an auto accident. The other party pleaded guilty to the offense. Their insurance company refuses to admit to the damage, saying their insured failed to cooperate. Latter they came back and said they would pay a rediculusly low amount for the totaled vehicle but refused to pay any...

Suing a Canadian Company [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm in a heap of trouble from a bad investment deal I made 2 years ago. Back in February of 2006 I paid 22,500 for a chance to participate in an investment opportunity with about 20 other people. The investment was in high tech websites that were supposed to bring in income from...

Discovery Small Claims Collection Company Documentation [ 2 Answers ]

On the pre-trial statement in a lawsuit filed by a debt collection company they stated that they would complete discovery within 60 days and they listed all the items they had. This time has since passed. The case has gone to trial which is this Tuesday. Just this past Thursday they subpoenaed a...

Suing a company! [ 2 Answers ]

If you are suing someone for faulty goods (machinery) and you lost the first case at the county court or small claims court, can you appeal to the top of the hierarchy of the courts in the U.K? For example can you appeal to all of these: High court, divisional courts, courts of appeal, house of...

View more questions Search