Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marvelus49 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 06:59 AM
    What is this thing?
    Hello! Does this thing have anything to do with smoking cigars or pipes? My uncle had this among his things and I'm trying to sell it on eBay but don't know what it is. He was a signalman in the navy and I thought maybe it had something to do with his ship - it looks a bit like a ships clock thingee or something but through research I see that Dunill made smoking products. Can anyone identify this thing? Thanks! Mary
    Attached Images

Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 07:15 AM
    I haven't found anything like it yet, but I think it is a portable pipe ashtray.

The center "knob" would be used to knock the pipe against to empty ashes and unsmoked tobacco.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    I haven't found anything like it yet, but I think it is a portable pipe ashtray.

The center "knob" would be used to knock the pipe against to empty ashes and unsmoked tobacco.
    That's what it looks like to me too. My father had a similar one and he was a pipe smoker.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 07:20 AM

Alfred Dunhill was well known for ship's navigational equipment and I believe this is part of a compass, minus a few things. I don't know how you can sell it as it is. It would have contained oil or water to make the compass inside free floating to render an exact reading while being knocked about during rough seas.

Tick
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Could it be a compass turned into a pipe snuffer?
    Marriage Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 08:19 AM
    My first thought was compass, too. :confused:

Dunhill certainly had his hands in a lot of different items from car accessories to clocks.

Did he have any other pipes or pipe related items?

Edit to add: Check with classic/antique car enthusiasts.
    marvelus49 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks to all who answered this questions - I've posted it on eBay as a pipe ashtray - we'll see what happens! Mary
    Marriage Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Good luck. Maybe a prospective buyer will have a better idea of what it is. :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marvelus49 View Post
    Thanks to all who answered this questions - I've posted it on ebay as a pipe ashtray - we'll see what happens! Mary
    I think you have made a wise choice, good luck !

Tick
    Harvey Staub Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    That's what it looks like to me too. My father had a similar one and he was a pipe smoker.
    You ed up.why ?
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Oct 28, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    My first thought was compass, too. :confused:

Dunhill certainly had his hands in a lot of different items from car accessories to clocks.

Did he have any other pipes or pipe related items?

edit to add: Check with classic/antique car enthusiasts.
    Dunhill is the tobacconist to the court of Queen Elizabeth a post they have held for a long time. The offer a full line of tobacco products and assessors

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At home jobs good thing? Or a bad thing? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old little girl, and a job I have had for almost 4 years. When I first found out I was pregnant my boss and I sat down and discussed my future with the company. We decided that after my maternity leave I would come back part time (20 hours) until January of 2009. I am now back...

Does anyone else think the same thing as me? [ 1 Answers ]

First off id like to say thanks for stopping by and checking out my question. All right well last night I texted this girl I'm "toghether" with ( we dated a few months ago ended up breaking up but staying togheter) and asked her if she was still interested in me. I asked this because for the past...

The same thing? [ 2 Answers ]

I meant to ask is picture message the same a regular text message if u get 250 a month?

Say one Thing and You do Another [ 75 Answers ]

What up with this? I've been talking to this girl on match.com (yes, I figured I'd try it out) for the past week or so. I sent her a wink a month ago to let her know I was interested. I had forgotten all about her as she didn't return my wink, but then out of the blue she sent me an email...

View more questions Search