Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 04:52 AM
    Bully Beatdown
    I can't believe that I'm admitting to liking a show on MTV. My son turned me on to it.

Here you can watch some of them:
    Bully Beatdown | Full Episodes, Photos, Episode Synopsis and Recaps | MTV

What a hoot! I'm loving it!

I love to see a bully get the snot kicked out of him! :)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 11, 2009, 05:49 AM

Having been picked on in elementary school a lot, I really like the show too :)

G&P
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 06:01 AM

Haha, me too... but even as an adult.

When I joined the Army I was 6', 125 lbs. That made me a target.

I was picked on - and had to defend myself - frequently.

... hence my love of jujitsu :)
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 11, 2009, 08:03 AM

I've seen it. I like the conccept. But I'm not sure it really solves anything.

I have a martial arts background... I've studied a whole bunch of different styles of martial arts. Karate, Jui Jutsu, Brazilian Jui Jutsu, Aikido, Taiqiquan (Tai Chi Chuan), Buguazhang, Xingi (Shing-i), and some of the sub-arts of Chin-na (joint manipulation) and Tuite-Jutsu (pressure-point fighting). I'm fairly well versed in MMA fighting as well, and enjoy watching UFC and the other MMA leagues.

It seems like poetic justice for the victim of the bully to be able to call on someone bigger and badder than the bully to kick the bully's a$$, and make some money doing it.

But what happens after the victim goes home for the night? He's had his momentary satisfaction... his bully has gotten his a$$ kicked on national TV. Nice. But the next day he has to face the fact that he didn't handle it himself. He needed to call someone else to fight the bully for him. And he'll forever be known by everyone as the guy who needed to call someone to fight his fights for him. Even the bully is going to know that the victim punked out and called for help.

What then?

I've seen episodes where very small women were the victims... I'm not talking about that. That's a situation in which anyone who's a man should stand up for the woman and kick the bully's a$$ and do it for free.

But if you're a guy and you're getting bullied around, how does it help you to call SOMEONE ELSE to fight your battles for you. At the end of the day, you're STILL the guy who couldn't handle it by yourself. And even if nobody else decides to take advantage of you, YOU still know it's true.

So I'm not really sure if this show solves anything. It's a momentary satisfaction at best. But it doesn't solve the real problem... the victim mentality.

Still and all, it's nice to see some of those bullies taken down a peg. And the excuses that some of these punks use for quitting are so bad, it's nice that the whole world gets to see what cowards they really are.

There's one guy in particular who picked on a woman. When he got into the second round (the striking round), he didn't last 15 seconds before quitting with the complaint of an old sports-related shoulder injury. Pure BS. The guy was a punk, and he got punked by a better, stronger fighter.

I liked how that one ended.

But I've also seen situations where two or three guys were complaining about the big bully who kept beating them up. Are you telling me that 3 guys couldn't work together to find a way to beat the snot out of the bully without having to call in a pro fighter to do it for them? Sorry, but they didn't do themselves any favors by going on that show. Three guys SHOULD be able to take down any bully if they work together. I'm not defending the bully, but I'm not all that sympathetic to the victims either. They THOUGHT like victims, and so they remained victims. It's unnecessary for them to think that way. They COULD have handled the situation themselves.

So while I like the premise of the show, and I like the short-term justice involved, I don't think it solves the longer-term problem of "victim thinking" that plagues so much of our society today.

Elliot
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 11, 2009, 08:25 AM

It may show that the bully is NOT invincible, and that may be enough for the bullied, to take up for themselves.

I saw one episode and the bully apologized and hugged the bulllied, a step- brother, so some good may have come of it.

G&P
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    I saw one episode and the bully apologized and hugged the bulllied, a step- brother, so some good may have come of it.

G&P
    It's reality TV.

That may have been all staged.

NK.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 08:40 AM

Good point. Reality TV is a bore .

Sep 11, 2009, 08:53 AM

I just question why anyone, no matter how big a bully, would want to step into the ring with a professional MMA fighter. I have 20+ years of martial arts experience, and can take on pretty much anyone who wants to pick a fight. I have actually fought off an attack by 4 people once (put two of them in the hospital). But with all my experience, I wouldn't want to get in the ring with a professional MMA guy. First of all, they train 8-hours a day and are in better shape than I am. And second, most of the techniques that I would use to equalize myself against a bigger, stronger opponent are illegal in the ring. (Ei: small-joint manipulation, pressure points, hair pulling, gouging, throat attacks, eye-attacks, limb-breaking are all illegal in the ring, but GREAT techniques for the street.)

Bullies are usually at their best when there are no rules. They don't actually know how to fight, so they are at their best when there are no rules. Stepping into the ring and having to obey rules is sort of like tying their hands behind their backs. Why would they CHOOSE to do that?

I CAN fight by ring rules and could probably give a good showing even against a pro MMA guy. I'd lose, because I'm not in that kind of shape and I'm too friggin old. But I'd give a good fight.

But I'm at my best in the street where there are no rules. It allows me to both use fighting technique and the illegal moves. Between my knowledge of fight anatomy and those illegal-in-the-ring techniques, I can usually put a guy down pretty quick.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 09:11 AM

Sidenote: My son and Mark Coleman's daughter have been "hanging out" a lot lately.

Coleman lives around the corner from me...

He's fighting Tito Ortiz at UFC 106 soon :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Hope you have a good family medical plan! :)

Edit to add: ooooh *Coleman* is fighting Tito not your son... I'm slow.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 09:24 AM

Never seen the show but I was bullied when I was a freshman. Finally after the first two weeks I lost it and broke the kids nose. We have been friends ever since.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Hope you have a good family medical plan! :)

edit to add: ooooh *Coleman* is fighting Tito not your son.... I'm slow.
    Haha, told my son to be on his best behavior so that he doesn't have to worry about fighting with Coleman ;)
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 10:32 AM

I have a question,

What happens if the bully beats down the bully beater?

Sarah

Sep 11, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Sidenote: My son and Mark Coleman's daughter have been "hanging out" a lot lately.

Coleman lives around the corner from me...

He's fighting Tito Ortiz at UFC 106 soon :)
    I like Coleman. He's got a lot of heart, and some great skills. But I question his stamina. That's the area that has affected most of the losses he's taken over the past 2 years. He's got the skills, but he tires easily. Not surprising, he's 4 1/2 years older than I am, and I haven't been in a competitive fight in over 10 years. I like the guy a lot, but I question his ability to keep up a fighting career much longer without suffering a serious injury. Ortiz is about 10 years younger than Coleman. That's going to tell in their fight. I think Coleman's got the better skills as a wrestler and submission fighter, though, so he might just pull it off.

I wish Coleman the best of luck.

Elliot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Say it isn't so! I can't believe my son is a bully? [ 5 Answers ]

Help! I received a call from the school principal today. She says that my 9 yr old son is a bully! I'm having a hard time believing it. I mean... he is way more shy than any of my other children. I have a 13 yr old daughter and another son that is 8. This news totally threw me for a loop! ...

Bully husband [ 8 Answers ]

My husband beats me up every week , I am 50years old and he is 49 years old I can't go out , can't wear what I want , can't talk or meet up with my kids from another marriage. I have a 3 year old granddaughter that I have never seen. I need help to leave him and set up somewhere else . Any idears??

Relationship with a bully [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been married to my husband for 21 years. He is hardworking, reliable, generous and kind... at work. At home he is domineering, controlling, unreasonable and a bully. Our relationship has always seen me in a servile role. I adopt this role to keep the peace. I almost feel he enjoys...

Partner turning into a bully [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all I'm new to this site well where do I start my partner of 11 years as started being nasty name calling shouting pushing me about all in the last few weeks he now wants to sell up move out before when we ave argued I've run after him worked it out but this time I can't be bothered we ave a 2...

Get bully away from my son! [ 15 Answers ]

My son is in 7th grade and he is just letting me know that there is a kid picking on him everyday. I know kids will be kids I do have 3 boys but my son came home today and told me that this kid threw him against the gym lockers today for the fun of it. My son says telling on the kid only makes it...

View more questions Search