Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dantedoo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 09:33 PM
    How much tax will I pay in Manhattan on J1 Visa?
    Hi,

I recently strted work in Manhattan at a Private School in the City as a teacher. I am on a J1 Visa and am covering a maternity leave until January. I am a citizen of Ireland but a resident of Italy. I have a job in Italy and will be returning there in January. Nobody including my employer seems to know how much tax I will have to pay? Can you help me? I have lived in France and Italy where taxes are HUGE and am now afraid that after taxes, I will not survive Manhattan!!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 12:37 PM
    It depends on the nature of your J-1 visa.

If your J-1 visa is a student or trainee visa, then you are liable for federal and NY state income taxes (plus NY city income taxes if you LIVE in NY City). You will pay taxes ONLY on your U.S.-sourced income. I cannot say if Italy or Ireland will tax the U.S.-sourced income, but I doubt it.

If your J-1 visa is one for visiting teachers/researchers, then you are totally exempt from both federal, state and city income taxes. You will need to file some documents with your employer so they will not withhold any taxes from your pay.

In either case, under U.S. tax law, you are exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes if you have been in the U.S. for less than two calendar years (2008 and 2009).

Sep 11, 2009, 06:11 PM
    Dear Atlanta TaxExpert,

Thank you so much for the concise response. I am actually here in NY as a visiting teacher for four months. I work in our sister school in Rome. Do you have any idea what forms I need to fil in? At work, they are somewhat consufed as I doubt they have had too many legal aliens working for them before. Again, thank you tenfold for shedding light on this muddle.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 07:46 AM
    The statement that needs to be filed with your employer's payroll department is listed at the end of IRS Pub 901, which can be downloaded from Internal Revenue Service.

Sep 14, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Again, many thanks. My Business Office contacted Payroll Today who are not so convinced. They argue that I am required to pay Federal, state and city taxes which amounts to between 25 and 30 percent of my salary. They consult the IRS website a lot and advised me to check my facts with them :( So looks like I will have to pay. Again, thank you so much for your help but without documents or hard evidence, I will have to pay taxes.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 10:07 AM
    You can claim the exemption when you file you federal and state tax return by filing Form 1040NR-EZ with Form 8833 to claim the treaty exemption.

You then attach copies of those forms to your NY state tax return when you claim the exemption from the state and city tax returns.

We file these types of returns every year; email at [email protected] come January for professional help in filing your return to claim exempt status. We can help you recover those withheld taxes even if you have returned to your home country come January 2010.

Sep 15, 2009, 01:08 PM

Many thanks yet again. Will be in touch in January! So, I pay these taxes and claim the back with your professionl help? Will I get a high percentage back like 50 per cent? I leave on Christmas Eve.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 01:17 PM
    For the city tax, you should get it ALL back for sure as you can easily prove that you were NOT a city resident by providing a copy of your visa.

For the state and federal tax, you should also get it all back, as you are exempt from taxes under the "teacher" exemption for the J-1 visa.
    ent3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Hello Atlanta Tax Expert,

I am Australian, working in the US on a J! visa category Research Scholar. Does the tax exemption apply to me? Can you refer me to an IRS publication that covers this topic?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    It depends on the nature of your J-1 visa.

If your J-1 visa is a student or trainee visa, then you are liable for federal and NY state income taxes (plus NY city income taxes if you LIVE in NY City). You will pay taxes ONLY on your U.S.-sourced income. I cannot say if Italy or Ireland will tax the U.S.-sourced income, but I doubt it.

If your J-1 visa is one for visiting teachers/researchers, then you are totally exempt from both federal, state and and city income taxes. You will need to file some documents with your employer so they will not withhold any taxes from your pay.

In either case, under U.S. tax law, you are exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes if you have been in the U.S. for less than two calendar years (2008 and 2009).
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 01:35 PM
    The FICA exemption noted above applies you for two calendar years. That is a matter of U.S. tax law and is NOT dependent on the tax treaty. You can find the citations under IRS Pub 519.

Unfortunately for you, there is NO provision for tax exemption for Research Scholars in the U.S.-Australia Tax Treaty, so you ARE liable for federal, state and local incomes taxes on any income earned while under the J-1 visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chase Manhattan Bank is Suing Me! [ 4 Answers ]

I am writing with hope that I can find a way out of this situation without losing my car or having to claim bankruptcy. SITUATION: 1. I am a self employed resident of Massachusetts and had a Chase Manhattan credit card issued to me in March 2002 with a $10,000 credit limit. After a divorce and...

Tax deductions for foreigners living in NYC/ Manhattan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Yvonne and living in the U.S. since 2007. I have a L 1 visa, working for a German company and living in NYC/ Manhattan since 11/2007. I heard about special tax deductions for foreigners for the first (2/3 ?) years while living in Manhattan. Is this true? If yes, what deductions are...

About Le Club in Manhattan [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone knows that club. During the 70's it was on 54th street East Manhattan. Tell me about it, and if you know a web site.

Toddler swimming classes in manhattan, ny [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has been taking swimming classes since 6 months old. I am moving to New York. Where can I find swimming classes for my two-year old daughter in manhattan?

Chase Manhattan Bank wiles [ 1 Answers ]

My wife decided to stop using and close her 6 credit cards totaling $80,000 in 2002. When she informed the credit companies of what she was doing she also stated that she was going to only pay on the ones she could afford to pay. I as a new husband to her in 2002 I gave her enough cash so she could...

View more questions Search