Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2009, 07:45 AM

RickJ, Look through here, starting on Page 5, Master Keying:
    http://www.crypto.com/papers/mk.pdf
    thatlockguy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 08:31 PM
    I am a locksmith and have done this many times before: the more 'individual keys' (called change keys) you have under one master, the less secure the system is. 134 changes under one master shouldn'd be an issue, as I recall weslock has 10 depths. The key is to keep the steps (variance between the master and change cuts) at least 2, and also to keep the MACS (difference of adjacent cuts on one key) within weslocks tolerances, usually 5-7 (i.e. a 1 cut next to a 9 cut is too far) depth measurments. If your local locksmith isn't keeping up your system, get a new 'smith. To be the MOST secure, group your buildings together so that you have maybe 5 masters and new changes under each. Shop your services around, I'm sure any locksmtih worth his title will be able to service your needs quite well. Look for someone who advertizes that he is an ALOA member, and ideally has a CML certification. What often happens with big rekey jobs is that the smith will just grab random keys from the bin and put the master under them, which leads to interchange (where keys that aren't supposed to work do). The biggest thing to remember is that pin tumbler locks (which you have) are inherently easy to manipulate with a little knowledge and a file (you already referenced lockpicking101.com, read up and you'll see why). It's not hard to get it right, just be aware that you have to pay for it.
    kenwoodman Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2010, 08:58 PM

Also buy a gun you can never be too safe if you have love ones you want them to be safe god bless
    thatlockguy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 12:52 PM

Yeah, an armed security team would make this condo complex more secure. Just have to convince the residents to pay for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residential Locksmith Washington [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I was wondering if any forum members may be able to recommend trustworthy and competitive security firms/locksmiths. We are planning to get quotes for new security provision for our block of 16 privately owned flats (we need new locks/keys, new gates/doors and possibly their advice on...

Owner of the House Lost House While We're Still Paying Him Rent [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently going through a somewhat messy situation.. My husband and I moved into this house in Victorville about 2 and a half years ago. The house was perfect and the rent was suitable and our 5 kids loved the neighborhood and their new schools. Well about three weeks ago this man had came over...

View more questions Search