Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 03:04 AM
    Good Squash Recipes
    Hi, All!

I'm just looking for some good recipes for the preparation of squash.

I have a friend who is a farmer, and I just got a lot of Acorn and Butternut Squash from him. So, what are some simple things that I can do with them to prepare them for meals?

From my experience, squash doesn't seem to have all that much taste unless you add some things to it.

I'm not very much of a fancy guy when it comes to meal preparation. But, all submissions are welcome!

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 03:57 AM

Here is a no brainer, clough. Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, salt and pepper each half slightly; a pat of butter or margarine in each one with some demerra sugar (authentic brown shgar) and bake until soft. Maybe about l/2 hour.

Tick
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Sep 10, 2009, 05:49 PM

I don't like to post recipes because it's much more fun to just experiment. Instead, I like to share techniques.

My favorite with squash (esp. butternut) is to cube it, toss it in oil, salt and pepper, and thyme and place it in Corning (uncovered) at 450F for 15 minutes, until golden. Then add chopped walnuts and cook for 10 minutes more.

Modify this by including other "roastable" veggies: I love brussels sprouts or cauliflower with this.

You could make it more fun by tossing in baby spinach (the residual heat will wilt it), or sweets like dried cranberries or raisins after you've removed it from the oven.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 05:54 PM

I like spaghetti squash :)

Microwave Method:

1. Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds and fibers with a spoon.
    2. It's especially important, when microwaving, to pierce a few holes in the squash skin with a large knife, skewer or an ice pick to allow steam to escape.
    3. Place squash halves, cut side up in a large microwave safe dish with 1/4 cup water.
    4. Cover with plastic wrap and pierce the wrap in a few places to allow steam to escape.
    5. Microwave on High power for 10 - 20 minutes or until the skin gives easily under pressure (using an oven mitt.) Let stand for a minute or two.
    6. Using a fork, scrape the pasta-like insides out onto a service plate or bowl.

After you have the scraping put in a pan add canned tomatoes, garlic, basil, onions, oregano, and tomato sauce :) Mix it around for about 10 min in med/low temp and maybe even add a little cheese on top so it melts into a delicious wonder.

I also like to save the seeds and roast them for a snack :)

Sarah
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Sep 10, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Here is a no brainer, clough. Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, salt and pepper each half slightly; a pat of butter or margarine in each one with some demerra sugar (authentic brown shgar) and bake until soft. Maybe about l/2 hour.

tick
    You can add brown sugar to this
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Now, we're "cookin'" here!

Thanks for the ideas so far!
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by antipode12 View Post
    I don't like to post recipes because it's much more fun to just experiment. Instead, I like to share techniques.

My favorite with squash (esp. butternut) is to cube it, toss it in oil, salt and pepper, and thyme and place it in Corning (uncovered) at 450F for 15 minutes, until golden. Then add in chopped walnuts and cook for 10 minutes more.

Modify this by including other "roastable" veggies: I love brussels sprouts or cauliflower with this.

You could make it more fun by tossing in baby spinach (the residual heat will wilt it), or sweets like dried cranberries or raisins after you've removed it from the oven.
    Hi, antipode12!

Is there a special reason for using a Corning, please?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 08:52 PM

Just slice and place in iron skillet with some onion and olive oil.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 11:39 PM
    Thanks for the tip, KeepItSimpleStupid!

Are some types of squashes more likely to taste better using the method that you describe than others?

Thanks!
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Sep 11, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Thanks for the tip, KeepItSimpleStupid!

Are some types of squashes more likely to taste better using the method that you describe than others?

Thanks!
    With any direct high heat method (roasting, pan sear) go with a higher sugar-content (acorn, butternut). With an indirect method (sweat, sauté, skillet) you can go with a higher water-content vegetable (spaghetti squash, turban, zucchini) and cook it out.

The water in it will help cook the vegetable, and as it evaporates, it will concentrate the flavor.

Is there a special reason for using a Corning, please?

Thanks!
    Wrap-around conduction!!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 03:33 PM

My uncle grew butternut squash a few years ago in his garden. My cousin and I made a lot of butternut squash soup. Unfortunately I don't have the recipe we used anymore. But what I do remember is what we did with the seeds. We were curious to see if we could eat them like pumpkin seeds so we threw them in the frying pan with a little butter and salt and toasted them until they were light gold. They turned out even tastier than pumpkin seeds.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 01:58 PM
    That's cool about the seed thing, justcurious55! I wonder if the seeds from all types of squash would be edible... I'd like to find out more about the soup thing with using squash.

Thanks!
    Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 02:03 PM

I have never tried squash seeds, which are really small, eaten like pumpkin seeds, which I have done after cleaning pumpkins for canning.

To make squash soup, all you need is a good soup base as Campbells chicken broth, onions, garlic and the squash. Cook it all down, add a little milk, thicken slightly and you have squash soup.

Tick
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 02:31 PM
    Hi, tickle!

What do you mean by "cook it all down", please?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 03:13 PM

"cook it down" means to cook it so nothing resembling squash is left. Basically Mush.

Squash seeds are editable although some people cannot have seeds, especially people with diverticulosis. Smaller seeds (Tomato) are typically worse for them.
    Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, tickle!

What do you mean by "cook it all down", please?

Thanks!
    Clough, my dear, you need a woman around !

All in a pot, until you learn the manners of doing it and can judge for yourself. Bring all to a boil, turn down and simmer, test in l/2 an hour for taste. If not what you want, should be creamy soup, then cook for another l/2 hour. It is slow fall type of soup. One that you can add to with vegs from your fridge, try some broccoli. Just do it to taste, Clough. I hope I have explained it enough. Fall soups are just so darn good to work on. On the stove until you think it is the way you want it to be.

I wish I could have you over for some of mine !

Tick
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 03:27 PM
    clough, my dear, you need a woman around !
    Probably so, probably so...

You know, they only let me out at night when there aren't so many people around! :eek: I lead a pretty sheltered life! :(

I wish I could have you over for some of mine!
    Give me a couple of minutes and I'll just take a couple of big steps and be right up there!

Thanks!
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 05:24 PM
    I love butternut squash because it tastes great and it's so versatile... it kind of reminds me of sweet potato or pumpkin.

Stew:
    Pour olive oil in a large pot, add chopped onions, bell pepper, crushed garlic, stir. When brown add chopped squash, stir. Add water to prevent sticking. Add your spices and herbs such as curry, a bit of cinnamon, basil, thyme, and any other along with sea salt and black pepper. Stir and add 2-3 cups of chopped or crushed tomato and a can or 2 of tomato sauce. Add any veggies and legumes lsuch as broccoli, carrots, and lentils. You can even add chicken before you brown the onions and garlic.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 11:05 PM
    Hi, Golden_Girl!

What do you mean by "versatile", please?

I think that I know what you mean, but it would be helpful for the thread if you would verbalize what you mean by that.

Thanks!
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 03:44 PM
    As in you can prepare it in a variety of ways, for both savory or sweet dishes. Some of the things I had done with butternut squash was dice it, drizle it with cinnamon and sugar, and place it in a lightely oiled pan into the oven, and can even and a little butter too. Also, I have added it spaggheti sauce already diced to make it more hearty. Grilling it is nice too, roast it along with potatoes and other vegetables, can make pies with it just as you would make pumpkin pie. I was reading this recipe today that you can even use it with making pizza. It's a good substitute with potato, sweet potato, pumpkin recipes only your using this type of squash or adding it for a different flavor. This site has a lot of good butternut squash recipes Butternut Squash - All Recipes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any good dip or snack recipes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am having friends over for the labor day weekend and I am bored with the same ole dip and snack recipes. Does anyone have any great recipes that they like? I would love to swap some if anyone is intereted.

Any good meal recipes? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I was wondering.. do any of you have healthy dinner recipes that you could let me know of? Me and my boyfriend have been dieting together for a little over a month now and we have been eating basically baked chicken and salad for dinner since then, because we don't know of any good healthy...

Any good recipes with pineapple as main ingredient? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm just looking for a good recipe with pineapple being the main ingredient... Thanks!:D

Any good Recipes for Atkins? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been trying to loose weight for about 4 years now and nothing has worked, I gained 30 pounds with my first child and then got pregnant 13 months later with my second child so I gained 32 lbs with her. So I am about 60 lbs overweight and So I decided to start the Atkins diet, and let me tell...

View more questions Search