Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommy Marshall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 06:08 PM
    2003 ford taurus won't start
    2003 won't start, starter turning but won't start, what could be the possibilities?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 06:19 PM

I own a 2000 Taurus, with 3.0L Duratec engine.

. Ensure battery is fully charged. AutoZone will test/charge batteries for free. Don't jump start the car--too much risk of a voltage spike damaging the PCM, alternator, or sensors.

. Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Check for codes. Attach a code reader to the Data Link Connector, located under the dash.

. Check for fuel. Can you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run, when you turn the ignition switch to ON? If the car was bumped, reset the inertia switch, which cuts off fuel in the event of an accident--likely on the passenger's side of the trunk (pull back liner). Have you changed the fuel filter in the last 30,000 miles?

. Check for spark. Perform the standard spark test on a plug. Platinum plugs should be replaced every 50,000 miles, not the 100,000 miles recommended by Ford. Only use the same Motorcraft plugs that came in the car.

In the future, you might want to consult the write-ups in the Sticky on the Ford Taurus.
    ruper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2013, 02:36 PM
    Replaced everything my mechanic said was wrong with my 2003 ford taurus, the idle air vavle, battery, wire to alternator, replaced alt and now it will not crank nor start!! I am about to loose my mind over this. Monies are out and I have no idea what else to do, being I am a female who's never worked on a car except for oil and windshield cleaner!! Does anyone else know what to do or can help me figure this thing out.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2013, 05:35 PM
    Begin by testing all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter. Ruper, it also wouldn't surprise me if the starter relay, located in the under hood fuse/relay box, is bad. Consult your Owner's Manual for its location in the fuse/relay box. Try substituting one of the other relays in the box with the same part no. and see if the starter motor now cranks. A new starter relay costs around $12 at Advance Auto Parts.

If you want, you can perform an Ignition By-pass Test, by placing the transmission in Park, engaging the parking brake, removing the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal, and connecting a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the B+ terminal on the solenoid (or positive battery terminal) and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the starter relay, ignition switch, neutral safety switch or clutch interlock switch, fuse, fusible link, security system, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford taurus won't shift into Park [ 4 Answers ]

I drive a 1996 Ford Taurus. My car won't shift into Park. The shifter bar will go into the park position, but the car acts as if it is in reverse. For me to park my car I have to put it into Neutral, put the E-break on. Turn car off, move the shifter bar into park position, and remove my key....

Replaced water pump 2003 Ford Taurus, won't turn now [ 3 Answers ]

I just replaced the water pump on my moms Taurus and now the part the belt goes around won't turn. Can anyone tell me why and or what to do?

Shifting in 2003 ford taurus [ 2 Answers ]

I backed out of my driveway and every gear was reverse then when I wanted to go forward to get back into my drive way it was still in reverse even though shifter was in drive. Shifter was hard to put back into park but got it there. I was able to push my car to where it is parked now even though...

1999 Ford Taurus won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Ford Taurus that makes a grinding, screeching sound when I attempt to start it. We have recently had trouble with it over heating. My wife said right before it died on her it felt like the car slipped into overdrive but the car was losing speed even though she tried flooring it. Added...

1999 Taurus won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My 1999 Ford Taurus has been a good car, but yesterday after getting home from somewhere, I went out to my car to run an errand. Even though I had driven it not 5 minutes prior, it won`t even turn over when I try to start it. I have checked every fuse relating to the starter, anyone know what`s...

View more questions Search