Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    l2fsaapacihm Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Asphalt over concrete
    Can asphalt be installed over concrete yard and will water cause a problem?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 03:21 PM

Asphalt over concrete works fine but not the reverse.

Sep 29, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Concrete repair/resurface
    Is there a product available to put a thin new coating on a concrete yard that has a poor finish due to bad workmanship with some cracking also,thanks

Sep 29, 2009, 05:52 PM

Concrete yard, what kind of yard, a play yard? If this surface is ever to carry a load you would need over a 2" coat to hold up. You could try self leveling concrete but we need more info about the yard and what will cross over the surface.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 03:56 AM

There are materials that can be used for thin overlays (we put 3/4 inch topping on bridge decks). However, there are prohibitively expensive for private work. Ballengerb1 is correct. 2" or more is safest approach and I would even use an adhesive (epoxy type) at that depth.

Sep 30, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Thanks,It's a yard and roadway into a workshop and it has to carry trucks sometimes around 25ton.Have you any idea roughly of the cost per ft2 of these overlays?

Sep 30, 2009, 02:06 PM

25 tons and you want it to look nice, you may need to consider paving with asphalt or tearing it out and starting over from scratch.
    dhatura Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 07:36 AM

Also be aware, that any "good" mason will tell you up front is that concrete guarantees two things. It will move with time and it WILL crack. It is impossible to stop this from happening. It sounds like the best solution for you would be to add stamped blacktop over the crete. The blacktop can be stamped and colored to look like whatever texture you want ( stone, brick, pavers, etc... ) may just be the solution with the least amount of work involved.
    george stevenso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 04:53 PM

We have concrete cartpaths that we want to put asphalt ove what is this procedure and how thick does it have to be for solidity

Nov 6, 2009, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dhatura View Post
    Also be aware, that any "good" mason will tell you up front is that concrete guarantees two things. It will move with time and it WILL crack. It is impossible to stop this from happening. It sounds like the best solution for you would be to add stamped blacktop over the crete. The blacktop can be stamped and colored to look like whatever texture you want ( stone, brick, pavers, etc...) may just be the solution with the least amount of work involved.
    Thanks very much,I will look into this solution and see what contractors,costs etc are involved,thanks again

Nov 6, 2009, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    25 tons and you want it to look nice, you may need to consider paving with asphalt or tearing it out and starting over from scratch.
    Yes I want it to look nice,if that's OK with you,it costs a lot of money so I want a good finish,OK?
    dhatura Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 05:58 PM

Your other alternative would be going over with a stain and epoxy skimcoat. There are companies that can make existing concrete look like whatever you can imagine. If you would like to make it look like it a type of stone perhaps, the color would accentuate the cracks and make them look as though they are part of the stone. Depending on where you live depends a lot on the outcome and the choices you are limited to. What area do you live in?
    Steve Pomery Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 01:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by l2fsaapacihm View Post
    Thanks,It's a yard and roadway into a workshop and it has to carry trucks sometimes around 25ton.Have you any idea roughly of the cost per ft2 of these overlays?
    If its just the finish that bothers you, grind the concrete with a diamond floor grinder. »»Then after it dries out a few days seal it with a 50-50 mixture of double boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. It will look like terrazo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Over Asphalt? [ 5 Answers ]

My driveway is in need of repair. It is a straightforward enough job, being only 25' X 16'. I was going to have the old, existing asphalt resurfaced with a fresh coat. Simple and at a reasonable cost. However, my wife wants something a bit more elegant and, of course, expensive. I checked out...

Concrete over asphalt [ 8 Answers ]

I have a garage that has an asphalt floor. The thickness is unknown but it is very uneven. It appears that someone has taken a hand stomper to flatten it down. I have heard that it is not wise to pour concrete over asphalt. First of all I would like to know why it is not wise to pour concrete over...

Asphalt over concrete [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe to pour asphalt over concrete?

Concrete over asphalt [ 4 Answers ]

I have a back porch that is asphalt, I would like to put concrete over it. The asphalt is in good condition with only a few dips in it. The area is 12'x 17'. Can I use a self leveling cement, How thick will it be. Some furniture and walking only no cars will go on it.

Concrete over asphalt [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to pour concrete over an asphalt drive, the asphalt is beyond repair. Is this possible? Do I need to prepare the asphalt in any way?

View more questions Search