Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 12:47 AM
    Code issues
    Can a dining room receptacles be on the same circuit as living room circuits?
    Can the dedicated dishwasher receptacle be located behind the dishwasher?

Thanks for your help
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 01:25 AM
    No dining room outlets are on a 20 amp #12 appliance circuit and living rooms are 15 or 20 amp general lighting circuits.

No the outlet and plug is considered as a service disconnect and must be accessible witout needing to move a staionary appliance. It can be under the sink, with the cord and plug passing through a hole in the cabinet.

EDIT:
    I just thought of something else, if you have a switch on the counter or under the sink as a disconnect, then the outlet can be behind the dishwasher.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 28, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    No dining room outlets are on a 20 amp #12 appliance circuit and living rooms are 15 or 20 amp general lighting circuits.

No the outlet and plug is considered as a service disconnect and must be accessible witout needing to move a staionary appliance. It can be under the sink, with the cord and plug passing thru a hole in the cabinet.

EDIT:
    I just thought of something else, if you have a switch on the counter or under the sink as a disconnect, then the outlet can be behind the dishwasher.
    Does this mean that you can't have the dishwasher hard wired directly to its own breaker?
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 09:23 AM
    That's correct,Andrew, the DW , and any appliance needs to have some way of killing power at the unit so that if someone is servicing it, that person has a way of knowing the power is off.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 28, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Thats correct,Andrew, the DW , and any appliance needs to have some way of killing power at the unit so that if someone is servicing it, that person has a way of knowing the power is off.

Well I didn't know that. Needless to say my dishwasher is wired directly to the breaker. I didn't install it, but to be honest, if I did, I probobly would have wired it that way anyway.

Id sure be nice if some of these codes found theire way over to the commercial side of town. Just last week I spent all of an hour trying to locate a breaker for a reach in cooler becuaseed the darned thing was hard wired into the box somewhere. It didn't even have a power switch, there was no way to cut if off!

Never did find it, just worked on it hot, which I really don't care for doing.
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 11:01 AM
    That is odd, because many a home has been wired with no disconnect at the DW or the water heater, but I find, very seldom,disconnects missing in a commercial installation.

Should you ever run into a newly installed appliance or piece of equipment that does not have a service disconnect switch within sight and no more than 50 foot away, or a lockable device at a panel, then you have the right to not work on it, and demand one be installed.

Even an old installation for that matter. Check with NEC, OSHA, local codes etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Code Question [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is in the code (section would help) about pigtailing a neutral on a recptacle. We had a disagreement about if you could use the recptacle for your jumper?

Need help in VB Code [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, Iam traying to get result of my record as below If next record is biger than previous show "1" If next record is same previous show "1" If next record is smallest show "0" if next record is same previous show "0" Example

Davinci Code [ 61 Answers ]

Just looking for thoughts and comments on the movie and book Davinci Code

View more questions Search