Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    204kirsten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Phase Changes, tempurature, and heat energy
    What is the rule about the relationship between phase changes and tempurature? Between phase changes and heat energy??
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 09:27 AM

When you are heating a body which changes phase, the temperature of the body will remain constant until all the changes have been made.

Take for example water boiling at 100 Celsius. At 100 degrees Celsius, the temperature of the water will no longer rise. However, it will turn to steam. When all the water has been converted to steam, then the temperature of the steam will start rising again. The formula for this is:

where Q is the amount of heat in joules
    m the mass of the substance
    L the specific latent heat of the substance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What's more energy efficient single phase or 3 phase and what's harder on the equip? [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, I would like some advice from anyone willing to offer. I'm starting an ice cream business and I'm collecting used soft serve machines. Apparently, there are used machines configured for single phase and 3 phase 208V 240V etc... I would like to know which phase a voltage is more economical...

Heat energy [ 1 Answers ]

How is heat energy produced

Heat Energy Requirement [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to calculate the heat energy required to raise the temperature of a solution containing 34,624kg of silica, 7,252kg of water and 224kg of sulphuric acid from 298K to 423K (i.e delta T = 125K). This seems a simple problem; I have the respective specific heat capacities of silica, water...

Energy requirements for each water phase [ 1 Answers ]

Is energy always required for each phase change?

Heat Energy Absorbed [ 2 Answers ]

A 300g piece of aluminum is heated from 30 degrees C to 150 degrees C. What amount of heat energy is absorbed? The specific heat capacity of aluminum is: 900 I tried doing this question.. and substituting it in the formula Q=m c DeltaT but I get a different answer from my teacher's answer. ...

View more questions Search