Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Possible Boot Disk?
    A relative of mine has completed crashed Windows XP. He originally tried to do a repair install -- long story, but in the end he can't even get into Windows at all now, and we both agree it's to a non-recoverable state.

So what he actually wants is a way to get in to finish backing up some files. He tried going in through the recovery console, but it doesn't allow access to everything, and copying files only to limited places.

I guess I should ask first. The Set command in there is disabled by default and says he needs some Security something or other to make that available. (Sorry I don't remember the name and can't even find that page at MS in my history.) I suppose that is something that has to be installed in Windows, meaning it's too late to use that and get Set working again?

Moving on... I'm about to reveal my age ;), but is there something similar to the old DOS boot disks where something can be loaded into memory to run, that would work for NTSF drives, that he could use to at least get the newest of his stuff backed up to... preferably to one of his other non-Windows partitions, or removeable media if necessary? I'm hoping that makes sense... basically something like the recovery console except that actually allows him access and copying wherever he likes. (He'd love a graphic interface of course.)

I've already tried looking through everything I have that might have a bootable CD with recovery tools, such as Partition Magic and Ghost, etc. but I didn't find anything that'll do that.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 01:05 PM

I would look into a Linux "Live CD". I've used Knoppix for a similar purpose a few years back.
    There are many other Linux distros that should do the same thing (Ubuntu, as an example).
    Just make sure you do the Live CD, and not a regular install CD. Best thing--FREE!

Basically, you create the CD (on another computer) and then boot off it in the sick computer.
    It doesn't install anything on the drive--everything runs off the CD.
    You should be able to access the directories with the files needing to be rescued and copy them to any drive in your network.

It does sound like a lot of work, but if you're an old DOS guy, you should be just fine :p

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 12:59 AM

Well, he's an old DOS guy and I'm an old DOS gal. ;)

It was probably more work than it needed to be but I got the Knoppix. (I think their Wiki site I ended up at made it more difficult.)

I expected to have to hunt down some Unix commands and was pleaseantly surprised over the GUI. I was playing around with it and got accused of turning into a Linux geek. LOL. (Well, I had to go look at the Open Office spreadsheet while I was in there.)

Do you know Krondor was on there? My brother had some saved games for that and was very tempted...

But he got all his stuff copied over fine and I finally left his house at 1 a.m. starting his reinstall of Windows. :D

(Now, you'd think there'd just be a simple utility that could do this stuff, huh?)
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Well, he's an old DOS guy and I'm an old DOS gal. ;)
    Sorry for the gender-slip :o

If you do want to play with Linux, I'd probably go with Ubuntu over Knoppix. The reason I mentioned Knoppix first is that is what I had used for a similar situation. It was only later that I discovered Ubuntu. Ubuntu is more like Windows in operation.

Anyway, I'm glad you got the data you needed.
    WallyH
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Hiren's Boot CD is the best tool. Torrent it. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dos boot disk and raid 0 [ 3 Answers ]

My computer won't boot, I receive ' disk read error' well before windows tries to load. I suspect the MBR is corrupted. My plan is to use one of the many available boot cd's with tools (hiren's 9.5 specifically) My question is this: I have two drives in raid 0 (striped) does anyone know if I...

Boot disk failure. [ 3 Answers ]

How to fix this problem? "boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:failure"

Boot without hard disk [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how can we boot our client from network instead of hard disk?? SHAVED DO YOU KNOW THIS? Please help if every one know about this?

Disk Boot Failure [ 7 Answers ]

I'm running Win 98 on my spare PC and never get a problem until tonight, when I switched on, a message appeared as follows: "Boot fron Atapi CD-ROM Failure. Insert System Disk and press Enter" I switched the PC off then on again and eveything is fine. I'm concerned that it may happen again, what...

Boot disk [ 3 Answers ]

I received a new computer with XP operating system. While I was loading programs the system crashed and lost the windows/system32 file and would not boot up. I looked for the recovery disk in the box, none found, so I had to do a complete install. Can I create a bootable recovery disk for this...

View more questions Search