Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caesars charm Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Oct 27, 2006, 10:07 PM
    My Dog seems to have leg pain
    I have a nine year old boxer and every now and then he holds his leg up like it's giving him a lot of discomfort. The vet gave him a few pills once that cost over$100.00 but didn't help the problem a bit. I hear it's common in big dogs but I'm wondering if anybody can tell me how to take care of it myself.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2006, 01:39 AM
    Is your dog overweight?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Maybe try another vet. There are low cost remedies for aging dogs. I forget what the Prednisone I give my 13 year old Aster for her arthritis costs, but it is no $100. Her mother's vet is prescribing else not too expensive too for her.

Wonder if some vets are doing what too many medical doctors do, prescribe the very best for even the most minor problem. I have just enough heart burn to give me a throat trickle part of the time. My doctor prescribed $3/day Nexium that will heal holes in the esophagus.
    steveman Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Hi
    You can give dogs medicine that we humans take, so I used to give my dogs a 1/2 an asprin to help with aces and pains. It did work as well .

Oct 28, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by steveman
    hi
    you can give dogs medicine that we humans take, so i used to give my dogs a 1/2 an asprin to help with aces and pains. it did work aswell .
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I think you're right in giving him just an aspirin or so. It just seems like joint pain and after all he's nine years old. Apparently boxers don't live that long but I must say he's in good shape, not over weight and a real baby.

Yes, I wonder sometimes if they see dollar signs when you walk in the door. She just looked at him and prescribed the pills and if I'm correct I think it was something like $152.00 not $100.00. She said she would call with an appointment to do some ex-rays and that's been like months and I haven't heard anything yet. Wouldn't want to see the bill for that. He didn't do anything to cause the pain because he's with me at all times and never outside alone so I can almost tell what it is.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 29, 2006, 05:55 PM
    I agree seek another opinion!! I have no idea what type of medicine that could have been. We don't have anything that costs that much. Is your dog on Glucosamine, Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids or Vitamin E? 9 yrs is average for a Boxer, so you are doing well!:)
    Do you have a acupuncturest in your area? What about a swimming pool to work out the kinks without putting any additional pressure on the leg?

Oct 29, 2006, 09:08 PM
    We only have one vet that visits our area once a week. With no competition I guess they can charge what they like. The pills didn't cost that much. It's just that she charges a flat fee for the visit, another for the examination and then the medication. There's no way I would ever get him in a pool because he's frightened to death of water. It took him until about two years ago to accept the bath tub. Thanks for your reply.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2006, 09:31 PM
    I am not much for self medicating my dogs. But then I have a near by vet that has reasonable charges, and as far as a lay person can say, is doing a good job.

An aspirin a day can't hurt. My vet has me putting a capful of regular 3% peroxide in a gallon of the old dog's drinking water. The dog guide school was not thrilled about me letting their puppy drink it, but didn't forbid it. It seemed to help the old dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fractured leg? [ 7 Answers ]

If you have a fracture in your lower leg would you still be able to walk on your leg?

Leg hair [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I'm 17 and I have a quite a lot of leg hair. Most all of my friends do not have near this much. It bothers me cause I have quite a bit on my upper legs and thighs too. I think that it is unattractive and does not look good. I don't want to shave my legs because that is not the look I was going...

Leg hair [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am 19 years old, a freshman in college and still cannot grow leg hair. I am already shaving and still have white stubbles for leg hair. Is there a reason for this, because it is really annoying. Thanks in advance.

Lump On Leg [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lump on my left leg. I don't have one on my right. The lump is hard. It is above my knee. I t is NOT painful at all. It is about 1 1/2 wide and 1 1/2 long. What should I do or should I be consernd? :confused:

View more questions Search