Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmessina4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Rights of 18 year old giving baby up at birth - changing mind
    Does an 18 year old who had her baby adopted when she delivered. This was arranged by her doctor. No one in the family knew she was pregnant and now a week later she is having such remorse. Does she have any rights? Is there a statue of limitations?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 07:33 AM

Depends on where you live. In many states, no, there is no statute of limitations. Some have a 4 days window, some more.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 07:55 AM

Did she sign away her rights in the delivery room? Has she even been to court to relinquish her rights yet?

There are a LOT of laws that protect birthparents.

If she hasn't gone to court to relinquish her rights, then she needs to get a lawyer TODAY and pursue this.

If she DID relinquish her rights in court, then your local laws on changing her mind were explained there--but again, she'll need a lawyer.

I don't know of a single state that allows relinquishment outside of a courtroom---and ESPECIALLY not in the delivery room.

Get a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers rights to baby birth/baby name [ 8 Answers ]

What rights does an unwed father in PA have to be there when the child is born or have say in the child's name? Also, does PA have any laws in regards to fathers last name and child support? I've heard that if the baby does not have the fathers last name that she can't file for child support. Any...

Do I have any rights to a baby I've had for a year [ 2 Answers ]

I have been taking care of a baby for almost a year while her mother was in jail. I didn't have any legal paPERS DRAWN UP, I realize that was very stupid of me. While she was in jail we agreed that when she got out she would come stay with me so the baby could get to know her . S she was less then...

My 1 year old sons dad is a waster he's not on birth certificate does he have rights? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old son with a man called gary, he was not there for me in my pregnance he dened the child was his and I proved it with a dna test and he starts seeing my son for a few months then he doesn't show up for weeks then he turns up again when he wants to. Luckily my son is too young to...

Mother signing over her rights and then changing her mind [ 6 Answers ]

Can a women sign over her legal rights in a divorce and after singing those documents still change her mind if the judge hasn't signed the papers yet. The Father doesn't want to he wants to go with the original signed documents. Is there a cooling off period for divorce and child custody? Why do...

Custody/parental rights when birth of baby [ 4 Answers ]

Hi thank you for taking time to read this and would really appreciate some feedback on this subject.I separated from my husband and meet an old flame and got pregnant I am happy about this.But I got back with husband who wants to bring the baby up,and we can financially support a child.And have had...

View more questions Search