Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 12:18 AM
    I am so unsure. I just need to express it.
    I've always been raised in the christian faith. And ever since I was little, up until a couple of years ago, I was made to go to church. The thing is, throughout all that time, and even so today, I am not sure about God.
    I don't know if he is real.

I am not meaning to offend anybody here at all, so please, don't take it personally. I Just can't find myself to agree 100%

Although I live by what one would call "christian values" I see no proof in God. I believe he is a possibility.

As many times as I've been preached to, I'm still reluctant.

I'm not looking to be preached to either, so please, do not.

I am very happy for the people that can believe so strongly, And I admire them, but I can not bring myself to completely agree.

It just seems very Naïve to believe in something that one can not see, or touch.
    I feel like sometimes people fool themselves into believing that God has sent them a message.

To me, God is a creation of man. I"m not sure if he is real, or if he really is a higher being.
    When people say that they love God, it kind of makes me laugh in irony. Not to chastize.

Just because a child has an imaginary friend that they 'have a relationship" of sorts with, does not mean that this imaginary friend is real.
    Maybe it's just a piece of themselves that they wish they could be, or the part they want stronger. Something that they wished they had, but do not. They are not sure how to gain it, so they create something that has it.

Thus why people would create a higher being.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm saying that people worship imaginary friends. Because essentially, that is what I'm saying. But not necessarily in that context. I can relate them, or draw a direct parallel, if you will.

I want to believe, but I am unable.

Input would be nice, but really, please, do not preach. Although I agree with christian values, I can not be converted into believing completely. I am NOT Atheist.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 12:40 AM
    ohsohappy,
    You are not alone.
    There are many people with the same problem about belief in God.
    In my case I have made God a major part of my life and as a result have had many blessings and my prayers answered in several different ways.
    You asked not to be preaches to, fine.
    But may I suggest that you think of the Christian values you follow as a blessing from God for those very values make life better and of greater value and happiness than other ways of living life.
    The world is full of both hate and love, one the opposite of the other it is thought but in reality hate is the absence of love. I believe that God is love. He is the person who gave that to us so if I am loved and can love it is a blessing from God and to me a proof of His existence.
    I also thing of it this way, Existence itself is a proof of God for without Him nothing would exist. He is the first cause of all that is.
    Everything but God has a beginning,
    The eternal God is who gave this universe it's beginning for it had to start from something and there is no proof of it's beginning other than that God God's creation.
    That's the way I look at it.
    I hope that is helpful for you.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 9, 2009, 01:52 AM
    The theoretical proofs for the existence of God fall into three categories. Firstly, the ontological type which tries to prove the existence of God from the idea of a necessary being. Secondly, are the cosmological type arguments which argue from the nature of the world in general to the necessity of God's existence. The First Cause argument being one of these. Thirdly,we can look at the teleological type of arguments which argue from the nature of specific things such as design and purpose. This of course suggests that such things require a creator.

If you are interested all of these arguments can be look up in greater detail . I hope this is of some help.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 03:08 AM
    Intellectual God
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    The theoretical proofs for the existence of God fall into three categories. Firstly, the ontological type which tries to prove the existence of God from the idea of a necessary being. Secondly, are the cosmological type arguments which argue from the nature of the world in general to the necessity of God's existence. The First Cause argument being one of these. Thirdly,we can look at the teleological type of of arguments which argue from the nature of specific things such as design and purpose. This of course suggests that such things require a creator.

If you are interested all of these arguments can be look up in greater detail . I hope this is of some help.
    You cannot find got from an intellectual level, God is an experience, a real person who can and does make his presence known
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 03:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    I've always been raised in the christian faith. And ever since I was little, up until a couple of years ago, I was made to go to church. The thing is, throughout all that time, and even so today, I am not sure about God.
    I dont' know if he is real.

I am not meaning to offend anybody here at all, so please, don't take it personally. I Just can't find myself to agree 100%

Although I live by what one would call "christian values" I see no proof in God. I believe he is a possibility.

As many times as I've been preached to, I'm still reluctant.

I'm not looking to be preached to either, so please, do not.

I am very happy for the people that can believe so strongly, And I admire them, but I can not bring myself to completely agree.

It just seems very Naive to believe in something that one can not see, or touch.
    I feel like sometimes people fool themselves into believing that God has sent them a message.

To me, God is a creation of man. I"m not sure if he is real, or if he really is a higher being.
    When people say that they love God, it kind of makes me laugh in irony. Not to chastize.

Just because a child has an imaginary friend that they 'have a relationship" of sorts with, does not mean that this imaginary friend is real.
    Maybe it's just a piece of themselves that they wish they could be, or the part they want stronger. Something that they wished they had, but do not. They are not sure how to gain it, so they create something that has it.

Thus why people would create a higher being.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm saying that people worship imaginary friends. Because essentially, that is what I'm saying. But not necessarily in that context. I can relate them, or draw a direct parallel, if you will.

I want to believe, but I am unable.

Input would be nice, but really, please, do not preach. Although I agree with christian values, I can not be converted into believing completely. I am NOT Athiest.
    You want to know God is real, so ask him to reveal himself to you. You will find he is no imaginary friend. I have seen many inexplicable things and I know it could only be God. If you want to tackle the question on a more intellectual level read Josh Mcdowell's evidence that demands a verdict or Lee Strobel's the case for Christ but God is not an intellectual concept he is not the existentialist manifestation of our being
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 03:20 AM

God is a person?
    A real person?
    I hope not.
    Because real people sin,and God is perfect.

To the op,seek God,read the bible,ask questions,look within.

If you need comfort you could try psalm 23,most people have heard it at some some,small steps and you will find your way.

Also romans 10.9 is a starting point.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 03:36 AM
    Not lost
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    God is a person?
    a real person?
    i hope not.
    because real people sin,and God is perfect.

to the op,seek God,read the bible,ask questions,look within.

if you need comfort you could try psalm 23,most people have heard it at some some,small steps and you will find your way.

also romans 10.9 is a starting point.
    I have already found my way, he who joins himself to God is one with him but our seeker isn't looking for a bible lesson. Yes God is a real person, not a flawed human person but a person none the less. It is very important to understand this and not think of him as a disembodied spirit. God couldn't leave us in ignorance so he had to form a relationship with us. The way he went about that is explained in the Bible, a written account of his dealings with mankind, but I'm sure our seeker knows this. The Bible cannot make sense to you until God opens your mind through the Holy Spirit to understanding so to find God simple prayer is a good starting point
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 03:41 AM

I agree with you to a point paraclete,I did read the op's question,my advice was simple to go back to those passages to re connect with her past christians roots.

God did not come himself to save us,he sent his son,(God in human form)..

Its difficult to prove how you believe in God to another person.
    I agree that simple prayer and opening your heart to God is sufficient enough..
    God will do the rest.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Off thread!

God did not come himself to save us,he sent his son,(God in human form)..
    John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 1:34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

Matthew 27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

John 1:36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ
    Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

There are the three identities for good reason. They are not separate one from the other yet are conformed as ONE in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. From the beginning man was created in OUR image, and OUR likeness. = a father + a son + holy spirit (Genesis 1:26)

John 1:1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

ONLY Satan would and will come proclaiming to be (man as God) to walk on earth
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 06:10 AM

Yes,is that not what I said!

My post was directed at paraclete who said God was a real person..
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Sep 9, 2009, 06:22 AM

I have struggle with this same question especially <sp. Check>when I see horrible things happening to GOOD people,instead of throwing around bible vs. lets face it if your questioning your belief in GOD how well are you even going to believe the bible?
    I look at creations and beauty and find it real hard to believe it all happen by mistake or from evolution,if you have believed in GOD before and are questioning it now I would suggest a nice drive to a lake or mountain where you can watch nature and get back to your original mind frame
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    Input would be nice, but really, please, do not preach. Although I agree with christian values, I can not be converted into believing completely. I am NOT Athiest.
    There is not one question asked by ohsohappy "I am so unsure. I just need to express it."

Instinctively God has gifted us from birth. And it is the search for the greatest of love that can lead us to God. And I love God and all HIS promises.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 14:30A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.
    -

Sep 9, 2009, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    There is not one question asked by ohsohappy "I am so unsure. I just need to express it."

Instinctively God has gifted us from birth. And it is the search for the greatest of love that can lead us to God. And I love God and all HIS promises.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 14:30A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.
    I don't get how that will help
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zippit View Post
    I dont get how that will help
    Because fear of God is meant for evilness. It is not meant to scare off those that love HIM, but it is to protect those that love HIM and who He loves. In the same manner of a father the disciplines his children to be good. If you fear what would happen then you will stay clear of evilness. This is true when you mean what you say, and can be grounded as solid fact.

Walk outside everday and look around at the beauty of life. It's alive and good. It is what we desire. If you want more of the beauty in life that is found in the love of it, then you look to God who offers life and love. You certainly won't find it in evilness that can hurt others.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 08:41 AM

Thanks, all of you.
    :)

THe thing is, is that I'm not a total NON believer. I've always felt like maybe something was there, but from the time I was born, I was never sure.
    I can see both sides of the argument, on whether God exists or not.
    It's very hard to believe 100&#37;.

One thing that has always driven me crazy are the people who say that one has to believe in God and practice their faith in only one specific way, or else they will go to hell.
    I do not believe that GOd would just send people to hell because they don't practice all of the same religions.

THis has always turned me away from the religion aspect, not so much my belief. I think that God accepts everyone, no matter what the specifics of their beliefs are, as long as they have some faith and live as honest hard working people. And It's okay to stray from the path now and then, as long as one gets back on track and "repents". Is this not why Jesus was said to have dies for us in th first place?

I can't stand the closed mindedness of some of it. How people use it to discriminate and put themselves higher than others.
    I'm not saying that everyone with religion does thie either, But the ones that do make sure they are heard.

I think religions in general, are different ways for different people to express their faith in God.

I don't have much time at the moment, but if you have questions about anything I just said, feel free to ask, and I'll answer to the best of my ability next opportunity I get.
    -

Sep 9, 2009, 10:45 AM
    [QUOTE=ohsohappy;1969712]Thanks, all of you.
    :)

. I think that God accepts everyone, no matter what the specifics of their beliefs are, as long as they have some faith and live as honest hard working people. And It's okay to stray from the path now and then, as long as one gets back on track and "repents". Is this not why Jesus was said to have dies for us in th first place?

/QUOTE]

It sounds like you are dealing with a repentance issue and that is good,the original post you were at this place were you questioned if God exist.I would still recommend some nature time,with reflection to help you find what you are looking for.
    rnrg Posts: 48, Reputation: 20

Sep 9, 2009, 10:46 AM

Ohsohappy,
    I had these same questions growing up and could not understand the transformation that would take place in a person's life when they became a Christian. Here are some things I learned along the way. None of this is to be taken as being preached to, but only what I wished that someone had told me. My questions were, Did a person just choose to follow Christ? Would it be hard to stop doing whatever "wrong" that I was doing? Would I feel anything when it happened.

Here were some insights from "not-knowing" God to "knowing" God.
    1. Everyone that was or is ever born, is born in a lost state. (They have a need for God who created them.) Did you know that the person who makes something has total rights to the thing that he has made? Imagine the createe rejecting the creator! (which is what mankind has done.)
    2. Christianity is faith based. There was a lot of "stuff" that I didn't understand. This means that you have to trust in God, who you can't see. You can't see the wind, but it is real!
    3. Being born or raised in a Christian home does not make each family member a Christian. Each person must accept Christ personally.
    4. God wants everyone to know Him. He will and can use anything to make us aware of Him. He will bring other Christians into our path, bring us face-to-face with death, cause us to think of life after death, cause us to think of Him and Heaven, bless us (only to name a few things). He does this because He is trying to get our attention. He wants a relationship with us.
    5. We can't just get up one day and say, "I choose to be a Christian," like choosing which pair of shoes to wear. Then later say, "that didn't work out, I will choose something else. True Christianity is life changing.
    6. How does it work? Only when the Holy Spirit of God has made me know that I am not living according to what He says, asking Jesus to forgive me and then asking Him to live in my life and change me. If we mean what we are asking, then Christ has really "saved" us. For me, I felt like the weight of the world had been removed from my shoulders. God also gave me "perfect peace" in my life.
    7. What is the most obvious change? You now begin to look at "things" in a different light. You begin to see thing's as God sees them. This is because the Holy Spirit is revealing these things to you by "opening your eyes." Man does not have the capability of knowing these Truths on his own. It is a God - thing!
    8. Can I really know God? The whole relationship journey of knowing and spending time with God is awesome. He personally knows me by name and still loves me even when I mess up. I spend time talking, praying, reading my Bible and listening in order to know Him even more. He speaks in a still small voice that is like no other. You know that it is Him because you KNOW Him.

I only share this because I doubted for many years because I could not figure it out. It was like a "treasure" reserved for "special" people. In truth, it is a Treasure that is for everyone that will accept it. But to accept it, you must accept the one that provided the Treasure.

It was always hard for me to grasp what Christians were talking about. But I realized that it was because I was not a Christian and only had head-knowledge. A very difficult time in my life caused me to search for something that could give me some kind of hope. At the end of my rope, I turned to God. It made all the difference in the life. My head knowledge changed to heart knowledge. I then became that "new" creature that God said I would become. My life has has never been the same. Rita
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Real
    yes,is that not what i said!

my post was directed at paraclete who said God was a real person..
    Not was, is. Jesus lives on in human form but God (father) is a person. He speaks to you if you will listen, the Holy Spirit is a person and so is Jesus
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    you cannot find got from an intellectual level, God is an experience, a real person who can and does make his presence known
    God can't be a person if he's a God. That makes no sense.

A person could never do what Christians claim God does.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Not was, is. Jesus lives on in human form but God (father) is a person. he speaks to you if you will listen, the Holy Spirit is a person and so is Jesus
    So you believe that God, Jesus and the Holy spirit are just ordinary people like us?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unsure... [ 2 Answers ]

I have not missed a period... I take the pill on a daily basis have not missed a day. The past 4 or 5 day I have had a terrible neausa feeling... I talked to my mom she said could be pregnant, so I took an ept test and the results were positive. Is this possible? How correct are the ept tests.

I'm a bit unsure [ 3 Answers ]

So, I am 15, and a girl in my grade is 14. She skipped a grade but I never would've known. I've liked her for, what people tell me is foolish, slightly over a year. We dated at one time, but with us both swimming (Different seasons) we weren't able to see each other enough, and broke it off. I've...

Unsure [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I really need help in understanding this pregnancy situation.. I started using the patch about a year ago and had stop using it since last augest and since then I've been trying to get pregnant and nothing yet I see signs that confuse me and I go out and buy tests and they come out negative. But...

Unsure [ 39 Answers ]

This is regarding the end of my 4 year relationship. My ex and I, have now been broken up for a few months now. We broke up out of the blue, he said he needed a break and left my house crying. I never heard from him until a week later, and he said he no longer loved me, and has not for 2 years. He...

View more questions Search