Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macman11393 Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Sep 8, 2009, 07:58 PM
    Peeing on electric fence
    Me and my brother were wondering if you peed on a electric fence would it electricut you and how high of energy would it need we were wondering on the amount of energy to keep cows in cause I don't know amps or power but I have grabbed a cow electric fence so that will give me something to compare to and if you do feel the electricity how bad would it hurt
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 08:31 PM

Yes, you would get shocked and it would hurt like h*ll.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 08:57 PM

Haha there's a video somewhere online. Watch it. :)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 08:26 PM

I leaned near an electric fence on a hot day when I was sweating and it arced over and burned my chest. I was reaching for an apple hanging over the road. Damned fence! It hurt and left a red mark that lasted a couple of days. I did not touch the fence. I think it would matter how concentrated and salty the pee was. More salty, worse shock? Dilute and watery, maybe you'd get away with it. I think voltage comes into play, too. But I'm just surmising...

See the YouTube video above. There are others, but this one struck me as authentic because the guy looked so scared when beginning the procedure...

By the way "electrocuted" technically means getting killed, not just getting a shock.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 09:48 AM

I grabbed an electric fence once when I was about 8 or 9. It was around a horse pen. I climbed it, and I grabbed the wire. The nect thing I knew, I was on my back on the ground laying in gravel. I got up an dwas feeling okay, but it was kind of scary.
    hydroguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2009, 05:52 PM

When I was a kid, a long time ago, I bet my cousin that he couldn't pee over a fence that was electric. He did and when it contacted the fence, he was knocked on his back and wet his pants considerably. I think that he would have pounded on me if he had not been hurting so badly for awhile. I still laugh about it, but he doesn't.
    trulytrying Posts: 122, Reputation: 6

Dec 9, 2009, 05:57 PM

Not only should you NOT pee on an electric fence,
    You shouldn't pee in the Amazon River either!
    There is a parasite that swims up the urine stream into the urethra and is very painful. Who would've thought..

The Dreaded Candiru AKA Penis Fish: Myth or a Horrible Fact? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2009, 08:44 PM

Wikipedia says this is extremely rare and they do not swim up the urine and are not even attracted to urine.

They say there is only one documented case of this fish swimming into a human urethra (a man's).

Although lurid anecdotes of attacks of humans abound, there is only one documented case of a candiru entering a human orifice.
    Candiru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dec 9, 2009, 09:33 PM

Wikipedia is always open to revision. I found some more info on them... copied and pasted...
    The candiru is a member of the catfish family and, according to Enyclopedia Britannica, "has been known to enter the urethras of bathers and swimming animals."
    "Once in the passage," the Britannica continues, "it erects the short spines on its gill covers and may thereby cause inflammation, hemorrhage, and even death to the victim."
    Audubon magazine explains: Candirus primarily set up house inside larger fish, where they feast on the host's blood. They are attracted to nitrogen, which usually leads them to a gill chamber, but apparently they can't distinguish between one nitrogen-emitting orifice and another: They have been known to follow a stream of urine right to its source.
    And another thing I find compelling is that the natives of the region have "herbal" remedies for it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2009, 10:38 AM

Yes. But that's a far cry from Associated Content, which falls into the "lurid tales" category. :)

Britannica makes mistakes too. According to a survey of Britannica and Wikipedia by Nature magazine (the science journal), they are comparable in terms of errors. Britannica had only a slight edge.

I couldn't find the reference at Audubon's website. There's a brief reference in a book review. But it doesn't say what About.com says it says. I'm not sure About.com is all that reliable either...

Your original post could be interpreted as saying the fish swims up a stream of urine come from out of the water. I wanted to correct that impression.

Here's what looks like a sufficiently skeptical account, similar in tone to that at Wikipedia:
    //www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2551/can-the-candir-fish-swim-upstream-into-your-urethra

Dec 10, 2009, 02:19 PM

Hmmm...
    It's kind of like "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?"
    The world may never know! : )
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2009, 11:49 PM

Fun to read about though. I had not heard about this. It's fairly horrifying! I can see why there are so many rumors about it. Right up there with botfly larvae.

Thanks for posting it here in the Urine Archives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal...

What is the average distances on the X-way fence to fence [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the average distances are on the US expressways from fence to fence? How much shoulder? How wide are the lanes? Lets just say two lanes each way. How wide is the strip between the lanes? I know it varies widely in places but is there an average?

Install underground Pettsafe electric fence [ 4 Answers ]

I hve been planning to install an underground fence for my 10 pound yorkie/zu. While reading about these I came across info on the Instant fence from Petsafe. This type sends out radio waves from a transmitter (the trans mitter is inside of the house or another place like a garage.) The waves...

Invisible dog fence electric use [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, our invisble dog fence is rated "12V, 850mA" How do I figure out how much electricity this fence is using/unit time when it's on? Thanks much.

View more questions Search