Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chat8102 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Tax with-holding
    Hello,
    My husband and I are both employed and we are on work visa. No Kids.

Would it be sufficient that we both have entered "Total number of allowances you are claiming" as M-1 on Form W-4 (since we are filing jointly) as we have no additional dependents?
    We consulted our CA and they think that this should be enough and there needs to be no additional with holdings... Is this true?

Would the tax withheld be sufficient or should we put in additional $ for withholding as well?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 01:14 AM

Normally, both of you can claim Married with 1 allowance.
    If your total income is over $100,000, then one of you can claim Married with 0 allowance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Actually, one should claim Married with ZERO exemption and the other should claim Single with ZERO to ensure enough is withheld.

Both claiming Married with ONE exemption will result in NOT ENOUGH taxes being withheld.

The reason is simple: if you file jointly, the first spouse's salary is taxed normally. However, the second spouse's salary picks up where the last one left off when it comes to tax rates.

EXAMPLE: If the first spouse makes $40K, the LAST dollar of his salary is taxed at 15%. The FIRST dollar of the second spouse's salary thus STARTS being taxed at 15%, then rises to 25% (when the combined salary hits $65K), then 28%, then 33% and finally 35%.
    chat8102 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert and MukatA
    For your answers.
    How can I claim Married with 0 exemption?
    The W4 form has the very first question as "Enter “1” for yourself if no one else can claim you as a dependent" for which I put in 1 and so will my husband.

For question (c) "Enter “1” for your spouse. But, you may choose to enter “-0-” if you are married and have either a working spouse or
    more than one job. (Entering “-0-” may help you avoid having too little tax withheld." We will both put in -0-.

So when we add lines A through G, line (5) "Total number of allowances you are claiming" will still be '1'.

Another question I had is: Is there a way for us to calculate the total % of tax that we have to pay each year?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Sure! Email me at the address below your and your spouse's projected income for 2009 and I will do an estimate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Still holding on to you [ 1 Answers ]

I need the name of a new country song with the lyrics" still holding on to you" I only heard the song once and its not clint black or martina mc bride

With holding [ 1 Answers ]

When I received my first pay check I noticed that after federal with holding it said Tax Blocked also said the same thing after state with holding. What does that mean? Thank you

The guy holding my hand and the guy holding my heart aren't the same? [ 10 Answers ]

I really like my ex still and I have a new boyfriend and he's so sweet and all, but I'm still just so in love with my ex and it makes me feel bad for my new boyfriend.. I mean I told my ex that I still like him and everything but the thing is is that he has a new girlfriend and so yeah I can't...

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

View more questions Search