Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nechtangel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 12:00 AM
    Hi there, I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy (7 months old) who won't eat properly. I will buy a new type of food, and he will eat it like he hasn't been fed for weeks, for a week or so, then he will start turning his nose up at it. What I have found is that if I fill up a couple of Kong toys with ANY dog food, he will scoff it. It's as though he is bored with just having the food put in front of him, but actually enjoys working for his food. It's worth a go! Another thing I sometimes do, is spend time making a game out of eating, for example if he is having dried kibble (which he would leave for days in his bowl), he will eat the lot if I hold the bowl and throw it to him, or place individual bits on the floor in a pattern and make him wait to pick them all up.

I think dogs are programmed to work for their food, and my pup certainly seems to enjoy his grub when he has to work for it, otherwise he just won't eat!

Hope this may help.
    dednnyholtmo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dog_lover
    I have a German Sheperd that just wont eat!!!
    We have tried dry food and meat but he just wont take it!
    If you have any ideas of how to fix this please let me know. Ill
    try anything.
    thanx heaps,
    dog_lover
    I assume you mean he doesn't eat much? If he doesn't eat at all, obviously he will die. What is the condition of the dog (skinny or fat)?
    Dogs usually find canned dog food more appealing or palatable than the dry kibbles. And dogs that get lots of exercise have more of an appetite than those kept confined in a small apartment or house.
    I'm not a veterinarian but you could have the thyroid checked by a vet. A hypothyroid condition could cause low appetite.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Tempting a dog with rich food is nearly always the wrong thing to do when it won't eat. There are better answer for most cases at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog that won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old Beagle who has cancer and has refused to eat ANYTHING in almost a week now. I have taken him to the vet for shots and steroids (supposedly to get his appetite going) and nothing has worked. Please help

My dog won't eat... Please help [ 6 Answers ]

My dog Rex hasn't ate in three days. I took him to the vet today she said he has a slight infection. She gave me meds to give him but if he doesn't eat anything not even ice cream how am I supposed to give him his meds... PLEASE HELP... does anyone have any suggestions...

Dog won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem (as here) but worse. My pomeranian pups (3 pups healthy and eats on their own) 2 pups barely drinks water and nothing else. I feed a great fornula of milk(evap), yogurt, mayo, water and vitacal. But I seringe the formula in mouth every 3 hours. If I go longer than 6 hour...

Dog won't eat help [ 1 Answers ]

My black lab who is about a year old just will not eat. He has never had any problems with not eating before. He just stopped eating about 4 days ago. I took him to the vet and he came back completely healthy and the vet force fed him a couple cans of dog food, but he still will not eat. He may...

View more questions Search