Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2005, 11:53 AM
    I have already listed this link above, September 07, link to chart replaced with LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog Most Labs happily eat themselves to over weight. I wouldn't do anything until he gets his weight down to what it should be following Purina's guidelines. Your vet can confirm his condition. Even if he weighs much less than he once did, losing a little more may still be good for him. My friends have a couple Goldens doing well on the Eukanuba Senior formula. I am sure it is much healthier than what the other dogs are leaving in your yard. My 11 year old Lab seems to be doing fine on Pro Plan regular adult.

Raw meat really isn't good for dogs. Here is a link that explains some of the problems, Second Chance Ranch: This Page Has Moved. The less chance you let him have to eat it, the better off he will be.
    juliaroses Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2005, 06:34 AM
    10.5 year old husky won't eat
    Within the last couple weeks our 10.5 year old husky will not everyday. We have owned her since she was 3 months and she has always been a 1 once a day everyday eater. Now she will eat only every 3 to 4 days. Any suggestions on what we could do. She was in to see the vet in Feb and was completely healthy (bloodwork and all). Thanks for the responses.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2005, 07:40 AM
    This is April. Most healthy dogs will eat all they need and more. A change in eating habits at her age could be a recently developed physical problem. I would take her back to the vet. Discuss her weight with the vet. He should confirm your judgment of her weight following the link in my answer above. If she is actually getting to where her ribs are starting to show, and the vet isn't taking an active interest in the problem, it may be time to check with another vet.
    Simon G-shepherd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2005, 11:33 AM
    Fourth day not eating
    Apparently guests at our house fed our dog some KFC,. with bones. She has not eaten since Friday night (the day she was fed this crap). She is miserable and very weak after not having eaten since then. I saw her do #2 yesterday (monday) but it does not seem to be over yet. I hope this is a temporary stomach sickness. She is a bit distended in the mid section. Do any of you have any suggestions?
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2005, 11:49 AM
    Yes, call the vet now!! Many dogs survive eating chicken bones. Occasionally a sharp splinter perforates the stomach or intestines and kills the dog. Offer her some bread, the standard soft, library paste stuff is best. It can wrap around sharp objects and protect the dogs insides, but do not count on it to save her. Get her to the vet.
    BiGnEcK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2005, 08:00 AM
    Will Not Eat
    My 7month old pitbull will not eat.i took him to the vet on friday,but still will not eat.they told me he had a bacteria problem but couldn't tell me how or why? i wandering if they are guessing.i did tell them that i found a tick on him and when i pulled it off it was dead,but there is still a scab.. they gave me some antibotics an stroids for the bacteria in fection,, no better need help... :mad: :confused:
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2005, 10:02 AM
    Don't panic. Give the antibiotics a chance to work. If he isn't showing any improvement in another day or 2, get back with the vet. A few days with little or no food won't hurt a 7 month old.
    kelso_lover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2005, 01:10 PM
    My dog
    My dog takes his time ot eat his food.. why won't he eat it right away?

Lately, he's been puking.. not lots but should I be concerned?
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2005, 04:20 PM
    The most common cause of dogs not eating is over feeding. This varies with the breed, age, activity, and from one dog to the next. Shepherds are much less likely to over eat than retrievers. Put the dog's food down and leave it 15 minutes. Take any uneaten food away and do not offer it any more food until its next meal time. Slowly cut back until the dog eats all of it. Keep checking its ribs. See this link, http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292 Use it to adjust the food level to keep your dog lean and healthy. If you doubt your judgment of the dog's condition, ask the vet's advice on it when you have the dog in for shots or a checkup.

If you are consistently feeding the same commercial chow, and little else, and not too much. The digestive problems may go away. Post back if the problem doesn't go away before long.
    Scotty's mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2005, 06:11 AM
    First off, to kelso lover, I have learned that if your dog is puking up yellow bile, it is because his stomach is empty. I thought the worst when I first saw that.
    Secondly, we are so relieved that we are not alone in trying to feed our 1 1/2 yr old large mixed breed mutt (we don't know what he is because some fool abandoned him on our street as a 7 week old puppy... our lucky day!) Our vet and many others we have asked have told us a lot of what I've read here. To make a long story short we have tried everything and are at a point where we have to COOK for him everyday to get him to eat. (Meat, brown rice, mixed veggies) I LOVE my boy, but I don't want to have to be a slave to the stove for him. But the max he has held out was for 3 days (the longest I could hold out before giving in). He will eat something for a day or two, then snub it. This has been going on since day one. How do I get him to go from cooked meals to high quality dry?
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Having your dog on a good dry chow is one of the best things you can do for it. I am glad you are still trying to get him to eat it. Not only is cooking for him time consuming and expensive, it is difficult to give him the complete and balanced diet he needs.

I have read that no dog will harm itself by not eating enough. I have also read a number of other things that lead me to wonder how extensive of experience the writer has. The procedure I gave in my last post will work with most dogs. A few dogs won't eat quite enough to maintain what we see as the ideal lean body. They seem to be OK a little on the bony side with the ribs showing slightly. You may have to accept that. Unfortunately that link I posted no longer works. It was a great resource I was directed to by a large dog guide school.

Start by looking at your dog. The ribs shouldn't be obvious, but the waist should be. The ribs should be obvious when you stand in front of the dog, and run your fingers along them. The only dog I had with a real eating problem did eat enough of a concentrated, meat based chow I switched him to that his ribs only showed a little.

Unless your dog is already underweight, I would continue feeding what you are, but cut back on it. After a week, he should be eating better. At that time, start replacing it with the dry chow your are using. Sudden changes of diet can cause digestive upsets. Have you tried other brands and protean source? Ordinarily it is best not to switch around too much, but this sounds like an unusual case. Unusual enough, that I haven't encountered it, and have not heard of an authoritative remedy from a source I would trust. One more thing, you might try is a puppy chow. I know they are very rich in calories and other nutrients, especially the small breed formulas. They are not designed for adult maintenance. I have never heard of anyone feeding one to an adult. I don't know what problems he could have and what you might need to add to give a more balanced diet.

Most Dog chows, both adult and puppy are designed for the typical readily eating dog. It was a real struggle for me the year I had a Shepherd puppy, having recently had 4 Labs that inherited the eating habits that earned Hoover his name. Luckily for me, the Shepherd never went over 3 days without eating. I hope you find an answer. I thank you for taking the dog in, and caring enough about him to do the work you have been.
    kira Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2005, 10:47 AM
    My dog is sick
    My 7year old Chihuahua will go two days without eating and then throws up white foam and I don’t really have the money to bring her to the vet for a well test (that cost 300$.)
    It gets to the point where her dropping are red (the red I know is not blood because blood comes out black) and then when I get ready to bring her to the vet her dropping are normal and she eats again I mix her dye food with wet food to make the food more appetizing and she still does not eat. She is a little over weight she is 8 or 9 ponds. I have 3 Chihuahuas and they all eat the dry and wet food mix together and they are fine she is the only one that does that
    So if you can help I would be very happy
    Viv Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 03:49 AM
    8 y.old German sheperd won't eat
    Hello, has anyone got any advice or ideas about my 8 year old german sheperd called Jazz. When she was a pup she ate everything in sight but this gave her stomache problems and the vet said she had a fat intolerance and would need to be on a special diet and pills for the rest of her life, but we sorted her out by giving her a very low fat diet (dry food) and no tit bits etc, she had dry dullish fur but was fine and lived for food and walks.
    then in about April this year she slowly stopped eating and we thought she was just being fussy so tried to ignore it. Then she took 3 fits in about 2 hours so we took her to the emergency vet he gave her a pill for the fits and asked to see her again in a few days. She had another 2 fits 2 days later and 1 the next day, all very small fits that didnt last long. Then she perked up a bit and I started feeding her boiled rice and tuna or egg etc and she would eat some of it but not with the ghusto she ate before. The vet wnated to put her on pills for ever for fits, but we waited to see if she could do without tehm, she hasnt had any more fits that I have seen, but her appetite is terrible, I have tried all kinds of things, she likes boiled rice and chicken but chicken seems to make her sick (grass). some days she will eat her food totally dry ( I usually add hot water to moisten it), so I dont think it's er teeth as she seems to prefer it crunchy though she eats it very very slowly. This week she was sick again 3 times but I had tried to give her chicken again as she went off her food totally. She is eating very little of her dry dog food but will eat hard dog biscuits and seems to look interested in what we are having, but I know it will upset her stomache.
    I'm at my wits end, you can see her hip bones now, she used to be so ravenous and loved food and walks..HELP!
    Viv
    LoveMyBooBooGirl Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Aug 10, 2005, 10:25 AM
    Make a decision
    For the sake of your pet, you need to follow the vets word to the letter, including all meds or it is time to consider saying goodbye. Many pet owners hold on to their pets too long when they are ill because it is too painful for them. But the real consideration needs to be with the suffering pet who cannot voice her opinion. If you can see her hip bones she is terrible emaciated and ill. Please make the best decision for her, not you.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2005, 08:30 PM
    Ordinarily I am quick to follow the vet's advice. However, you seem to have most of the problems sorted out other than the chow. It is rare for a healthy dog not to eat enough to at least keep it on the lean side, maybe a little bony. Your Shepherd doesn't sound like it has been the problem many are. The chicken may have more fat than she can tolerate. What kind of biscuits is she eating? Check the package. Some are formulated to meet the AAFCO requirements for a complete and balanced diet. If so, and she will eat enough of them, let her. Even if it doesn't say so, it may be close enough to see how she does. You could always add a vitamin and mineral supplement if she is not doing well.

This is opposite from my usual stand on feeding a dry chow meeting the AAFCO standards. There is no doubt that that is the best thing for nearly all dogs. If she doesn't settle down in a few weeks and start ot gain weight, maybe get another opinion from a different vet. Even the best sometimes miss something. Be prepared to allow her to stay on the lean side, ribs showing a little. To many owners get upset about dogs that insist in keeping themselves lean. It is much more common for dogs to eat enough to shorten their lives, and look for more.
    Viv Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2005, 09:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanx a lot, I have read through a fair bit of info on this now on this board too, so I'm going to hang in and see how she goes, I dont like pumping her full of pills (I dont take pills myself unless I really have to), she has started to eat her meals again today and yesterday, I just did what I usually do these days and gave her half a scoop of the 3 different types of dry dog food a half a scoop of mixer and a quarter a tin of tinned dog food, and she seems to be ok again. she seems to go through stages of eating quite well then all but stops. but if she does this again I will not try to coax her by offering chicken as it must just be too rich for her now.
    I probably panicked and thought she was skinnier than she is, she was always lean anyway as we didnt over feed her, we were advised by the GSD breeder we got her from that it could take 3 years off a dogs life if they get overweight.
    She is a well trained, obedient, wonderfully natured GSD who likes people and other dogs, and I know her time comes we will be distraught but my hubby will do what is right for HER and wont allow her to suffer just for our benefit.

:) Thanx again Viv
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2005, 10:11 AM
    Please keep us posted. I am pleased she is doing better. I am glad your vet is counciling you to accept her being a little lean. He is absolutely right about overweight shortening dogs lives.
    Rpdsniper243 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2005, 04:20 PM
    Problems with my Dog eating
    Hello all,
    My 7 y/o akita pit mix won't eat. She hasn't for about 3/4 days now, if I had feed her she will eat a little bit but not much. She has no problem drinking water or picking at her food, but in the last week she's lost quite a bit of weight, it's very noticeable. We've had her on Pedigree for her entire life and I'm not really sure what to do. Anyone have any advice?

Mike
    LoveMyBooBooGirl Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Aug 13, 2005, 04:41 PM
    Akita/pit
    One of the first things that comes to mind is worms. If it has been only 3 or 4 days since her appitite has changed but her weight has noticeably dropped, then you should check the stool for worms. If it is worms, don't be alarmed. Go to your local feed and tack supply and get a liquid wormer to put in her food. If not,as long as she is eating some food and drinking plenty of water I don't see cause for immidiate concern. If your dog is outdoors in the heat of the summer, her appitite may decrease. Just make sure she is drinking plenty of water. Wait out the weekend, continue to watch her. Let us know what happens.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2005, 08:13 PM
    You have a sick dog that needs to see a vet. They are hard to find on Sundays. I am tempted to say wait until Monday. Do you see any evidence that the dog may have chewed something up and possibly swallowed something blocking the digestive tract?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog that won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old Beagle who has cancer and has refused to eat ANYTHING in almost a week now. I have taken him to the vet for shots and steroids (supposedly to get his appetite going) and nothing has worked. Please help

My dog won't eat... Please help [ 6 Answers ]

My dog Rex hasn't ate in three days. I took him to the vet today she said he has a slight infection. She gave me meds to give him but if he doesn't eat anything not even ice cream how am I supposed to give him his meds... PLEASE HELP... does anyone have any suggestions...

Dog won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem (as here) but worse. My pomeranian pups (3 pups healthy and eats on their own) 2 pups barely drinks water and nothing else. I feed a great fornula of milk(evap), yogurt, mayo, water and vitacal. But I seringe the formula in mouth every 3 hours. If I go longer than 6 hour...

Dog won't eat help [ 1 Answers ]

My black lab who is about a year old just will not eat. He has never had any problems with not eating before. He just stopped eating about 4 days ago. I took him to the vet and he came back completely healthy and the vet force fed him a couple cans of dog food, but he still will not eat. He may...

View more questions Search