Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samshadabani Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Father not allowing daughter to marry because of boys background
    Asaalamu alaikum.
    Please advise me on my situation. A father is not willing to marry his daughter off and justifies his decision saying that because I am from a broken home and my father is sikh however my mother is a practising muslim.
    Her father says I am not appropriate for her. Otherwise, I am employed, honest and very in love with his daughter in the deepest of meanings and am a practising muslim.

What does our religion say about this issue?

I do evrything right by this woman and want the father to see I'm so genuine, I can't think of a reason about my character that's bad for this girl?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 11:27 AM

Regardless of what religion or anyone else says about this issue, the girl's father is saying no. so unless she's willing to go against his will, right or wrong, there's nothing you can do about it. It's unfortunate that her father won't let her marry you because of things that, from what you have told us, are beyond your control.

Sep 8, 2009, 11:38 AM
    What does islam say about going against parents wishes
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 11:48 AM

More important question, how does this girl feel about going against her father's wishes? Let's just say for a minute that islam says it's fine (although I suspect it says the opposite). Would this girl be willing to do that? To risk having her father be angry with her for who knows how long? To risk being cut off from the rest of her family to marry you?

Sep 8, 2009, 12:06 PM

Her father would agree to let her marry me if my parents were both muslim but my dad is not muslim he is sikh however my mother is a muslim and so am I so what would you say to that
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 12:30 PM
    samshadabani, for better guidance on the religious aspect, you may want to try the Religion Board.

Justcurious makes a very good point though. Starting a marriage with everyone's blessings and support is not easy. Starting a marriage with regrets and hurt is extremely hard.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 12:34 PM

I would say what I said before. It doesn't matter what I say, what any religion, or what anyone else has to say about it unless she is willing to go against her father's will because he says she can't marry you.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 12:46 PM

Salaams Samshadabani,

If you are a muslim, religious wise her father has nothing against you to stop your marriage to her.

Knowing Indian families and their views on marriage, I would say it would be best to let her go and make her own choices which may or may not be in accordance with the father's wishes.

Being cut off from her family because of her marriage to you will not be good for a marriage.
    You will need her family to support your decision because in the end she may come to resent being forced to choose between her family and you.

Sep 8, 2009, 12:46 PM

Thank you you have helped me unerstand her point of view much better thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boys wise word to a father [ 3 Answers ]

A little boy got on the bus, sat next to a man reading a book, and noticed he had his collar on backwards. The little boy asked why he wore his collar backwards. The man, who was a priest, said. "I am a Father." The little boyreplied. "My Daddy doesn't wear his collar like that." The priest...

What are the chances of a judge allowing me to marry with parental consent? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm sixteen, almost seventeen and my boyfriend just turned eighteen. I'll be seventeen in three months and we both want to get married very badly. I know the law in California is that you have to have at least one parent that will sign consent and then you need to meet with a councilor and then...

Allowing my children to live with their father [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Hi I just wanted know what type of right I have as far as my children recently me and there father split he mor finacially stble so I've decided to allow the kids to go live with him intil I complete school. I just wonder if there's anyway he can keep the kids from me when it's time for...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

View more questions Search