Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UnigirlBelle Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Algae in aquarium
    I usually try to take good care of my fish, I have four neons and two algae eaters. I put the chems in once a week and try to keep the filter cleaned as needed but a few days ago it seemed like it went green overnight. I thought something had happened to the filter so I cleaned and changed the media in it. I put a little extra of the chems in in hopes that it would clear it up but so far it has shown no signs of clearing. It is a 15 gallon tank and have never had this problem before, I usually have to clean it off the sides and out of the rocks but I've never seen the water turn green like this before. Could it be a problem with my filter or my algae eaters just getting lazy?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 09:14 AM

Going out on a limb but have you had your curtains open more often lately?

Sunlight causes algae to grow like wildfire!

Have you tried an actual products to reduce the algae?
    They sell them at most pet stores.

Sep 8, 2009, 11:04 AM

Not open but we changed them from drapes to curtains but we did that a few weeks ago. The aquarium is on the same side of the window but about about a couple of feet away. I have seen them but wasn't sure what to use.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Sep 10, 2009, 12:05 AM

What kind of algae eaters do you have? Also a change in lighting (going from drapes to cutians can cause an algae bloom. I found this out just recently. Do a 25% water change and see if that helps.

Sep 10, 2009, 03:21 AM

One is a Chinese algae eater and I think the other is the same though he differs in looks a little, I was told he was a pleco but when I went to another pet shop after the one I usually go to closed, I found out that it was not a pleco but very similar to a Chinese. They were very tiny when I got them but are quite big fellas now. I'll try going back to drapes and do a water change and hopefully that will help.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Sep 10, 2009, 11:27 PM

An otto (the name is to long to type and hard to spell),they get no bigger than a guppy but boy do they clean your tank good,they even clean your plants. Since I got my otto no more algae blooms. Also one or two coriadoras will help also they are waste eaters. Since your Chinese are getting big keep a close eye on them as they have a bad habit of attacking smaller fish. I am going to see if I can trade mine in for something smaller. Also Pleco can get really large and need to move to a bigger tank, as they get aggressive also, plus they move things around in the tank. Good luck and happy fish. I love my tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting rid of algae [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Bacqua Pure sand filter cannot find the instruction book that came with it I found on the internet the parts list for it but no instructions. I had a severe algae problem last year do to a accident and was not able to clean the pool good. This year I would like to start the season...

Algae on vinyl siding [ 5 Answers ]

I have never regretted putting low maintenance vinyl siding on my house in 1985. Low doesn't mean zero. I am now having problems with algae on the North side. It is the perfect environment, shaded and damp, and the ancient red wood deck doesn't help either. A few years ago I spent a hard day's...

Suspended algae [ 1 Answers ]

I changed a little over a third of the water in my goldfish tank about a 2 and a half weeks ago. Also cleaned gravel of fish waste and put in new charcoal filters and added water treatment to tank. For the last three days my clear/clean looking fish tank has become more green by the day. I've...

Death of algae eater [ 2 Answers ]

What would cause the death of algae eater? I have a plecostamus in 10 gallon tank with 2 black moor fish and they seem o.k. the algae eater was behind fake plants curled up in a ball. This is 2nd algae eater that died? I fed him the wafers but confused how often to feed.

Algae Growing In Vase [ 1 Answers ]

I have a typical house plant growing in a antique clear glass vase. Lately I have been needing to change the water almost every day, because so much algae is growing on the inside. Is there anything I can add to the water to stop the algae growth, but not harm my plant?

View more questions Search