Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zix Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 03:15 PM
    9 digit zip code imports as 0, not 9 digits
    I am using MS Word and MS Excel 2003. From MS Word, I have done a MAIL MERGE, and some of the zip codes are 5 digit, while others are 9 digit, as in 12345-6789. After doing the mail merge, and previewing the letters, the 9 digit zip codes get imported as 0. Certainly the MS Word software should be able to recognize a 9 digit zip code as a zip code? The 5 digit zip codes import properly as 5 digit zip codes.

How can I make the 9 digit zip codes display properly after doing the mail merge into MS Word? What am I doing wrong?

Oct 27, 2006, 04:29 PM
    I found A solution. I went back into the spreadsheet and changed the ZIP CODE fields format to TEXT and then re-merged. Apparently if a 9 digit zip is not in a text format, it converts the 9 digit zip code to the number 0.
    Dale F Wiley Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Hi Zix,

I tried to duplicate what is going on with you and no success.
    My Mail Merge worked just fine with 9 digits, well 10 counting the dash.
    Try formatting the Zip Code column as General or Text in Excel.
    There is always the possibility of a corrupted document or a corrupted Normal.dot or worse.
    If this doesn't work try a new document and see if the same thing happens.

Good Luck.
    Dale :cool:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2006, 02:17 PM
    To Dale, The dash means that the cell was formatted as text hence the reason you didn't have the problem. I suspect, that in Zix's case the dash causes Excel to consider it a subtraction not text.
    Dale F Wiley Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    To Dale, The dash means that the cell was formatted as text hence the reason you didn't have the problem. I suspect, that in Zix's case the dash causes Excel to consider it a subtraction not text.
    Good point, well done. :cool:

Nov 6, 2006, 11:32 PM
    One other problem I had was when it converted zip codes beginning with 0 such as 06543, it dropped the zero and changed it to a 4 digit zip of 6543!

I had to add all the preceding zeros back in to the 4 digit zip codes!
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Nov 7, 2006, 01:08 AM
    Select the Zip Code cells and then click on Format, Cells, Number, Custom. In the box below Type, enter 9 zeroes. Click OK. All the cells will be formatted with leading zeroes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zix
    One other problem I had was when it converted zip codes beginning with 0 such as 06543, it dropped the zero and changed it to a 4 digit zip of 6543!

I had to add all the preceding zeros back in to the 4 digit zip codes!
    This is why ZipCodes should be text data types, not numbers. In a database, only numbers that are using in calculations, should be formatted as a number datatype.

Nov 16, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by colbtech
    Select the Zip Code cells and then click on Format, Cells, Number, Custom. In the box below Type, enter 9 zeroes. Click OK. All the cells will be formatted with leading zeroes.
    I suppose this would have worked, but not for me, since my spreadsheet has both 5 digit zip codes AND 9 digit zip codes. When I tried it, it turned my zips like 12345 into 000012345.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roto zip [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of bit do I need to get for my roto zip to cut through kitchen floor tile?

Antivirus In Zip Format [ 6 Answers ]

Please tell me about download site having all good antivirus in zip format for download.

Zip Drive Disks [ 4 Answers ]

How do I unwrite protect a write protected 100 megabite zip drive disk? These disk inadvertently write protected themselves and they are not full.

Win Zip Doesn't seem to Zip Well [ 15 Answers ]

I am using Winzip 9, but it seems it doesn't compress files a lot. Here are a few examples: Orginal: 2243 kb to 1950 kb 4928kb to 3688 KB 3514kb to 3467 kb Some files are jpeg others Power Point.

Zip program [ 4 Answers ]

Does a zip program comes with windows 98se? If so what is it? Kat.

View more questions Search