Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Records
    I need a second opinion. My records were requested last week but the clinic's dragging their feet. The new clinic requested them over a week ago.
    Can I march in there and demand them? Can they refuse to hand them over?
    Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Tom
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Sep 7, 2009, 04:26 PM

I'm not certain as to Florida law but in general:

You have every right to your records. They may charge you a "nominal" fee to copy them though.

Was this request in writing? I know our service requires that it would be.

A week seems to be a reasonable period. Speak to the office manager and see if she can help.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Thank you Dan,
    I'll stop into the climic tomorrow and let you know how I made out. Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 07:34 PM

They may or may not have time to "copy" them while you wait, depending on staff time, people out sick or on vacation.

It is not uncommon for medical records to take 3 or 4 weeks between doctor ofices
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Chuck,
    The other clinic asked for them over a week ago and I plan on calling first thing in the morning and stopping in the afternoon. If I can't get them is there any recourse besides a court action? Regards, Tom

The next day!! I asked for and received my records. I thank you all for your response. Tom
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 04:13 PM

You won't need a lawsuit to get a copy of your medical records. You may have to part with a few dollars though in order to get them quicker than if they were to be copied and sent on to the other clinic that is.

How big is your file at the first clinic? If it's a small file, then they can probably copy them while you wait a few minutes.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
    A week is not an unreasonable amount of time Tom. Unless this is an emergency, it's not unusual to wait a month or so to have your records copied and sent to the new doc.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 16, 2009, 11:59 AM

I'm surprised so many of you don't think a month or more is unreasonable.

Honestly, I work in the environment and if we took more than 48 - 72 hours we'd be in major trouble. These days, many are scanned into an electronic record and can be printed on-demand. The real time should be in mailing - which shouldn't be an issue if you pick them up yourself.

Of course, this isn't totally standard practice yet, but really a week should be a suitable amount of time.

Going there may be the push they need. Just plan on sitting there for 20 - 30 minutes if they haven't started working on them before you arrived.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self employed and no records. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a situation in which someone is asking me to help them with their taxes. He has not filed in the last five years and considers himself self employed. He's looking to file this year yet has not kept any records of any of his business dealings nor paid any taxes. What would be this persons...

Subpoena of records [ 4 Answers ]

If a subpoena orders a copy of a patient's "records" does a health provider have to provide ALL records including all charts from every department? A patient is unable to respond and the hospital does not know his/her identity. Can the patient's picture be disseminated to the police and press...

Checking records [ 1 Answers ]

I have no idea how to check public records. What steps does a person take?

Lost Tax Records [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find my old tax return records

Is it possible for me to get the records [ 3 Answers ]

Two years ago someone called 911 because of the door being ajar. The question is do police keep this records and if so can you tell me how to get it. Or can the lawyer get the report?

View more questions Search